• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
And don’t be a noob like me and fail to consider psu connections have moved on (8 + 4 pin cpu power needed on my board). I ended up rushing out for a new PSU pushing the budget up
2500k here as well.
I never ever concidered that and just checked my Corsair xt850w to find it only has one 8 pin conector.. More money !! oh well morning shoping on oc . Just need to look at power suplly revues first..

Soldato
This ryzen kills my patience. amd as always with cpu, not prepared for sales. Date is more important than happy customer
One of the issues buying AMD stuff early I think (going on history) but issues should be sorted soon. It's one of the reasons I'd prefer to go 3950X - all the platform issues will be sorted by then

Soldato
@Journey might be able to help. Personally with 3900x and looking for MSI would go x570 Carbon - but similar price to x570 Gigabyte Gaming X

must admit i'm tempted to get a 570 and return the 450. Won't get delivery until next week though i suppose. If it saves me the headaches of trying and possibly failing to get things going on the tomahawk, plus i'm getting a more advanced chipset, i think i can stomach the price increase .... just :)

Soldato
....done - return issued for b450 tomahawk. A shame i never got to play with her :(

now, which x570 to get....don't want to spend any more than 300 absolute max but preferably less of course. Will favour more usb3 ports over stuff like wifi which isn't needed. MSI again?

Soldato
must admit i'm tempted to get a 570 and return the 450. Won't get delivery until next week though i suppose. If it saves me the headaches of trying and possibly failing to get things going on the tomahawk, plus i'm getting a more advanced chipset, i think i can stomach the price increase .... just :)

One main advantage of newer chipsets and this is said by all vendors is that they get all the attention for Bios updates . Get it running perfectly on newer systems then work to the older ones . AC is a damn good board with 6 and 8 cores, fair play to them .
X570 is easier for someone that wants to slap I. 3600hz ram and do nothing - more plug and play

Wondering if MSI b450 will rise higher ..

Associate
2500k here as well.
I never ever concidered that and just checked my Corsair xt850w to find it only has one 8 pin conector.. More money !! oh well morning shoping on oc . Just need to look at power suplly revues first..
I think you'll find that you can get away with just connecting a 8pin connector for the cpu and ignoring the 4pin (which is what I've done with my x470 motherboard). Buildzoid in a video mentioned that the extra 4pin is not really necessary.

Associate
I think you'll find that you can get away with just connecting a 8pin connector for the cpu and ignoring the 4pin (which is what I've done with my x470 motherboard). Buildzoid in a video mentioned that the extra 4pin is not really necessary.

To be honest i would rather not even though i did see Buildzoids comments! And considering my psu is 8 years old and not modular may be a change is not such a bad thing.

Soldato
One main advantage of newer chipsets and this is said by all vendors is that they get all the attention for Bios updates . Get it running perfectly on newer systems then work to the older ones . AC is a damn good board with 6 and 8 cores, fair play to them .
X570 is easier for someone that wants to slap I. 3600hz ram and do nothing - more plug and play

Wondering if MSI b450 will rise higher ..

thanks - i opted for more ram rather than faster...32gig of 3200 stuff. I'm happy to do a bit of tweaking but as i said, not looking to overclock.

Just seems to be so much choice of 570, it's a bit overwhelming. i'm thinking the asus prime x570 p fits the bill..

Associate
....done - return issued for b450 tomahawk. A shame i never got to play with her :(

now, which x570 to get....don't want to spend any more than 300 absolute max but preferably less of course. Will favour more usb3 ports over stuff like wifi which isn't needed. MSI again?

It's a tough call - I went OB to buy the Ace in the end just because it brings a lot more to the table. IIRC the lower models all use the same VRM as each other, so it's really just a case of feature comparison and bios options (I justified the Ace as I want 3x m.2 without adapters and WiFi, with a good VRM stage in case I go 16c further down the line).

The Taichi definitely offers a lot if you compare it to any of the £275 - £300 boards.

Back
Top Bottom