Suicide by train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
My dad worked for London transport for 40 years, beginning his career at Tottenham court road tube.

He had plenty of stories of jumpers onto the lines and cleaning up the successful ones.

He also won an award for bravery for chucking himself ontop of suicidal guy and pinning him in the ditch under the tracks on the central line.

I'll look it up next time im in London.

Wow!

Caporegime
I suspect the reason is a cry for attention.

I'd imagine having suicidal thoughts is along similar thoughts to depression i.e. when you are in deep depression you might not realise it, but suddenly everything feels dark and heavy. It's only when you come out of depression and think back that you realise how ill you were.

It's a remarkable issue of today that we have so many ways to communicate with other people, yet on the flip side we can feel alone and solitary.

It's interesting watching the videos of were people have been talked down from jumping, and how it changed their lives. A couple of years ago there was a programme of a guy who was talked down from jumping by this other guy, and he went searching to try and find him, to thank him. The programme showed his search and eventual reunion with the guy.

I always say a problem shared is a problem halved. It's easy to dwell and take things out of context if we don't have someone else there to bounce our thoughts off.

I wish someone would have stopped the kid who recently stepped in front of a train. It only needed for someone to say "Hello, how are you? What's on your mind?"

You're talking about those that are feeling low or desperate and are actually able or want to receive 'help', whether they know it or not. Equally, there will be a suitably high percentage where the person simply wants out of the life they have and do not want to be talked down or 'rescued at all. Not many of these cases will get the airtime though as people don't generally like a bad ending.

Back when I was 14 I had been bullied remorselessly for a year and half - I came quite close to walking into the sea with a load of heavy clothes on.

Come on guys, there will be some people reading this who actually are, or sometimes are, suffering suicidal thoughts.

Let's show some responsibility and not be going into detailed suicide systems.

Call 116 123 for Samaritans. Much better than the alternative

Agreed.

I would say delete (not just lock) the thread, and move any constructive posts like the Samaritans into the main Mental Health thread.

Soldato
Back when I was 14 I had been bullied remorselessly for a year and half - I came quite close to walking into the sea with a load of heavy clothes on.

I'm sorry that you went through that experience. If someone had been able to talk to you, and was able to stop the bullying, would that have helped?

This might sound like a weird question, but what made you change your mind?

Man of Honour
Well personally I think it's important to tell other people how you are feeling and what you have thought.
It is one of the ways that I deal with my own inner demons so deleting a whole thread would be a very bad thing for me, it would be like you don't want to face it or be bothered about it.
There is a Facebook group called Men Unite which has been a great help for me, in fact it constantly pulls me back from the pit.

Caporegime
I'm sorry that you went through that experience. If someone had been able to talk to you, and was able to stop the bullying, would that have helped?

This might sound like a weird question, but what made you change your mind?

Ah it was years a go - I'm 55 now, but I appreciate it. Interestingly enough or not I've had the odd bout of depression for no real reason from time to time along the way though.

I stopped it myself although it took a long time to bring myself down from doing it. I was fully clothed with all the layers on and ready and the sea was only a 500 yard walk away from me at the time. I guess the act of putting all the clothes on was the major factor in getting other thought processes going.

Yes, it wouldn't have taken very much to feel a bit better at the time...parents that could see I had a problem, a decent teacher or two, the ability for me to not feel completely worthless and to actually tell someone etc. Instead I bottled it up, skived off school and got in trouble about truancy...I was likely the only kid in Liverpool that went to the library when they did though ;) Even with all the bad reports and disruption I'd cause in class no one asked the question, is everything alright? In the end my mind went into self preservation mode and I flipped - two of the three lads got a right royal kicking at the same time in front of a lot of other kids. In hindsight it would have been great to have some confidence and to stand up to them in some way possibly, but I only really got that in my early twenties unfortunately.

Caporegime
@Mr Blonde the point you make about the act of putting your clothes on is a good one. A simple thing to often break that immediate cycle of thought is all it can take. Glad that's all it took for you.

Yup, at that age things can drag you down quite quickly and for the most part are likely a lot more easy to put right and to give the individual a chance at least. While I've been fine throughout the years generally speaking, there's likely a few others from my comprehensive at that time that either didn't come back from the brink at some point in time or have had a life of complete misery. At least these days there's a hell of a lot more questions asked.

Associate
My dad got off the train and started walking along the platform to exit the station. But just as the train started to move, someone pushed him off the platform, about 20ft in front of the train.

Train driver said in court it was not his job to look out the window. I still believe he should have been prosecuted also.

Two bits of bad luck.

Soldato
Lets be honest here folks if someone is already in such a bad place that they are considering this or other methods they will have done their research elsewhere and not on a niche computer forums General Discussion section. If a problem exists, talk about it, dont hide it away.
It's not as if anyone here is encouraging others to do it or stating information that isn't

a) blatantly obvious
or
b) easy to find elsewhere

If anything the general theme is don't do this **** cos its horrendous for the person doing it and for those that are impacted by it

Man of Honour
My train hit someone on Tuesday, had to be evacuated from a 10 car train via a single door and then routed round past the 'scene' on the platform. They evacuated the station.

What I found quite sad was whilst checking on Twitter for updates there was just bunches of people moaning at SWR and how they needed to sort it out (basically all trains to to the south were blocked for a couple of hours because they go via the Woking line). It took me 5.5hrs to get home but I'd rather that than be the driver, or a family member, or one of the many emergency services scraping bits off the track. Clearly there are things rail companies can do a lot better on, but I don't really see how you can stop this type of thing nor how you can instantly restore service bearing in mind there's probably at least a dozen trains an hour scheduled to pass through there.

Soldato
Not a good thread for me to read considering how I feel mentally at the moment :(
Suggest posting - here - rather than dwelling on this thread (a bit morbid for someone in a bad place). You should get some guidance and support from members who may have had similar experiences or empathise with the way your feeling.

Or, pick up a phone and talk to someone.

Soldato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom