• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Associate
Is it just me or is anyone else not seeing the value here?

I am running a 2600K, GTX1080, 16GB DDR3, with a 144hz Gsync 1440p monitor. With G-Sync on every game I play runs smooth and I have not came across any performance issues in any game.

As much as I think the new 3600 is a hell of a CPU for the money, I just can't bring myself to do it. I've a 3770k (overclocked) and a 1080Ti - it plays everything super smooth to my eyes (and Fraps.) I also earn my living on the PC doing development work. I will reassess next year, as I want to wait until I start seeing games that struggle on what I have; not found any so far. ;)

Permabanned
Replaced my 4770k with a 3900x.

Much better experience in games where the CPU was being overcome (Division 2, Apex Legends)

Older titles limited at my 165FPS cap (165Hz GSYNC monitor) are largely unchanged in terms of the performance but I've not got some odd and rare performance issues any more.

I remember Arkham Asylum being a stutter fest when i would go through the doors. Crucial m4 £400 ssd back then lol nothing changed it until the whole cpu mobo and ram went.

I am not having it this time around, I try to run games in 4k and i cap at 120fps so no odd things just annpying games where they run 60, 70,90 frames and not good enough. I did not try Apex though i was hoping to try it on a 2080ti + 4300mhz 4770k. It will only be 2020 Q4 or 2021 Q1 before i rip out the 4770k as well.

Just bought my new components, Upgrading from 2500k to,

i7 8700 (Non-k)
16gb ddr4
ROG Strix B360-F Motherboard

£374.98

People might say I'm buying into a dead platform but I'm happy with what I've got for the price, I like how cool the 8700 runs, I can use my current cooler as well which is handy, also truth be told I just want a stable drop and play cpu without thinking bios updates etc.

Man of Honour
Replaced my 4770k with a 3900x.

Much better experience in games where the CPU was being overcome (Division 2, Apex Legends)

Older titles limited at my 165FPS cap (165Hz GSYNC monitor) are largely unchanged in terms of the performance but I've not got some odd and rare performance issues any more.

TD2 I don't get albeit I only played the beta - some people have been having their 4000 series Intel CPUs trashed by the game others like me it played smooth as smooth performance wise with mostly ~40% utilization not sure what the difference is.

Associate
Currently running 4770K, 16GB DDR3, RTX 2080 and very tempted by these AMD hypes....will be patient and wait for results before clicking buy on....just about everything but GPU

I bit the bullet and went for:

3700X (couldn't find 3900X in stock anywhere)
4x8GB 8Pack 3600MHz C16
Asrock X570 Taichi
Samsung 970 EVO Plus Polaris 1TB M.2
Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler
Fractal Design Meshify C Case

Took a bit of tweaking but have it stable now and very pleased with the results.

Associate
So 4670K @ 4.3Ghz replaced with Ryzen 3600X on MSI X570 Gaming Plus and 16GB 3200Mhz Corsair Vengance LPX.
GPU remains the 1080ti.
Seems to be running great now after initially not getting a good contact between cooler and CPU. Was using a slightly too large spacer resulting in a badly throttling CPU initially!
Feels good being on a modern platform. Hopefully this 3600X will last as long as the 4670K did.

Soldato
TD2 I don't get albeit I only played the beta - some people have been having their 4000 series Intel CPUs trashed by the game others like me it played smooth as smooth performance wise with mostly ~40% utilization not sure what the difference is.

DX11 vs DX12 mode could make a difference to CPU usage.

Either-way I was frequently seeing up to 100% CPU usage even at 4.5Ghz.

G J

G J

Associate
Just bought my new components, Upgrading from 2500k to,

i7 8700 (Non-k)
16gb ddr4
ROG Strix B360-F Motherboard

£374.98

People might say I'm buying into a dead platform but I'm happy with what I've got for the price, I like how cool the 8700 runs, I can use my current cooler as well which is handy, also truth be told I just want a stable drop and play cpu without thinking bios updates etc.

I've done simillar as I just got a 8600k and a z370 for about £200 and I've set it to 5ghz and its great going from a 6600k @ 4.5 as the prices for a 6700k/7700k are still going for stupid money.

Like you I really didnt want to mess about waiting for a b450 motherboard as I wanted second had to save money doing the bios updates etc as the x570's are way too expensive and what I use my system for a high clocked Intel gives it a edge over a 3600/X.

There's nothing stopping people with older CPU's waiting it out until the B550 motherboards arrive or until the Ryzen 4xxx series as the platform will be more mature as I'm sure there will be a few people selling their Ryzen 3xxx cpus.

Soldato
As much as I think the new 3600 is a hell of a CPU for the money, I just can't bring myself to do it. I've a 3770k (overclocked) and a 1080Ti - it plays everything super smooth to my eyes (and Fraps.) I also earn my living on the PC doing development work. I will reassess next year, as I want to wait until I start seeing games that struggle on what I have; not found any so far. ;)

If you're not struggling with your set-up to play games how you want then upgrading is a waste of money. Nothing dumber than pointless upgrades.

Soldato
As much as I think the new 3600 is a hell of a CPU for the money, I just can't bring myself to do it. I've a 3770k (overclocked) and a 1080Ti - it plays everything super smooth to my eyes (and Fraps.) I will reassess next year, as I want to wait until I start seeing games that struggle on what I have; not found any so far. ;)
Same here. I'd intended to upgrade to Zen 2 but it's hard to justify the outlay when I'm not struggling to run anything at the moment.

Soldato
I went from 4690K to a 3700x.

While my average FPS feels to have only gone up around 10-20FPS typically. My minimums are WAY WAY higher. it just feels so much smoother. no stuttering, no lows. much more consistent.

Associate

I have a 3770k and with my 2080Super (the first bit to actually arrive of my system wide upgrade) I’ve run a few in game benchmarks. Interestingly, for instance in Shadow of the Tomb Raider the benchmark reports that it is GPU bound only 27% of the time and that’s when using RTX shading, this is at 3440x1440.

Moving from Sandy, Ivy or Haswell to Zen2 marks the first CPU upgrade for many of us in the last 6-8 years! Which is a pretty remarkable thing. I just think back to my earlier PC days where I was upgrading the CPU every 6-18months without fail.

Associate
I bit the bullet last year (when GPU prices were insane) ended up with a good deal on an i7-7820X and 1080Ti as a whole machine replacement from my 3770 and 970 combination. Do I regret getting an 8c16t intel that can also heat my entire house with only a mild overclock (damn those skylake x chips run hot)?
Only a bit considering the mainstream choice has now caught up/over taken the HEDT set. Still if I can find some workloads that use AVX512 I'll be sitting pretty.....

Caporegime
5930K owner here, getting 3700X rig in the next couple of days (so this rigs heading to my spare room), as Intel just got too many security problems now, so now that AMDs back in the CPU game, im heading back.

Associate
Moving from Sandy, Ivy or Haswell to Zen2 marks the first CPU upgrade for many of us in the last 6-8 years! Which is a pretty remarkable thing. I just think back to my earlier PC days where I was upgrading the CPU every 6-18months without fail.

Yeah, I appreciate where you are coming from! :D

Still, I'm only looking forward to Control and Doom: Eternal for the rest of 2019, so can stick with what I have until CP2077 next year.

Soldato

Division 2 and latest assassins creed games will bottleneck. Still smooth, but it's happening already the move to 8 or 6/12.

Back
Top Bottom