No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Soldato
Is there any technical basis of any of these statements? The last week or so it seems to have become the narrative. Reading the subs on Reddit last night people were echoing your point, that somehow if NMS would be fine if it were native to oculus and available on the store.

Given the situation of performance all round be it VR or Flat, I find that difficult to believe.

I must admit i dont follow the likes of Redit so didnt know this had become more of a thing of late.... it has been my opinion for some time after doing some side by side tests..... SteamVR works........... but it does not work as well as native support. It is a nice thing to have but i absolutely stand by my view that games on steam desperately need to separate native support from steamVR.

now, NMS specifically... would it be perfect on oculus right now everything else being equal apart from steamVR.... I doubt it, the game needs some patching that is for sure (I am not slating it btw i think it is really good).... but I am convinced it would run better with native rift support.

games i have compared side by side
Elite Dangerous
pinball FX VR
Arizona sunshine
Euro truck simulator 2

games people I trust have compared and concluded native support is better
Dirt Rally
Dirt Rally 2
Assetto Corsa (the 1st one)

I am sure some slipped my mind :)

Soldato
Aren't the Oculus Native vs SteamVR disparity due to the two frame interpolation systems bitch-slapping each other. I'm fairly certain that used to be the case and Oculus users running Elite Dangerous under Steam were advised to turn off the Steam version (?Motion Smoothing or what ever was before that) to allow the Oculus to fully hijack the rendering.

Soldato
I can't complain about any performance issues on steam VR, I usually use it over the oculus store for ease of use and launching games but wouldn't pick one over the other.

Having tried NMS in VR I didn't really enjoy it, tries it for about 15-20 mins and went back to standard mode. I'm not sure if VR is good for huge open world games if that makes sense?

It looked lovely and performance was ok though, I might give it another go when I've got a decent base set up and found a really pretty planet

Soldato
Perhaps to add some parity to what I said earlier. I see just as many HTC, Index users... whatever complain about decreased performance with re-rive, yet in the 3 years I've been using it, I've never noticed anything like that.

The only direct comparison I could call would be Assetto Corsa, it ran no better or worse for me in Oculus or OpenVR when they introduced it. Ultimately No Mans Sky will see better days though I'm sure, same with DR2.

Associate
I've got past the starfield loading twice, only to be presented with no planet surface and invisible avatar. Now I can't even get past the starfield. Tried reinstalling the game, nvidia drivers, turned off antivirus, even reinstalled the vulkan sdk someone recommended.

Soldato
just played for about an hour with the index (never played prev) - pretty cool but had to run it on the minimum settings and even then reprojection was on most of the time. Needs some more optimisation i think :p

Associate
just played for about an hour with the index (never played prev) - pretty cool but had to run it on the minimum settings and even then Reprojection was on most of the time. Needs some more optimisation i think :p

What setup are you running? Graphics card/cpu.

Associate
Running on an i7-4790K, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070 8GB and a Rift S. There's something very jarring about the whole experience, and the performance was frustratingly choppy. I began to feel quite nauseous, which is something of a rarity for me! I can normally play Dirt Rally and Elite Dangerous without any discomfort at all.

Associate
Did you mean Vulkan was supposed to increase performance?
It does but to me it seems they have used some of that performance to add more to the environments.

Also on a fresh install the config settings file doesn't allocate the number of game threads to the number of cores in your CPU correctly and that can be changed for better performance

Soldato
Ughhh
had random CTD which is relly annoying when you have a inventory not saved.

Seems there is no Joystick support. So not sure what he was on about in the video.

Can't remap keys either... However that seems to be a running theme with a lot of players.

However Graphics are great on Vulcan, huge improvment...

Associate
Any graphics/settings tweaks for this?

Also sadly still not changed the issue of client sided weather/storms. Daft when one of you has a storm and the others are fine lol

Permabanned
Played it briefly yesterday, lots more graphics setting it seems but nothing really new.

The base building has been ruined imo, the whole interface is now difficult to follow and I'm constantly misplacing items, it's frustrating as hell.

Also having to contact power cables to everything is insane, my relatively small base now has cables, batteries and biofuel generators all over the place, it's a mess.

We'll have to make a separate building larger then our base just to house all this crap, that's if you want a clean base.

What were they thinking... :eek:

Running on an i7-4790K, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070 8GB and a Rift S. There's something very jarring about the whole experience, and the performance was frustratingly choppy. I began to feel quite nauseous, which is something of a rarity for me! I can normally play Dirt Rally and Elite Dangerous without any discomfort at all.

You need a faster graphics card if you want a smooth experience RTX2080/GTX1080 Ti or better imo.

Went from GTX1080 to RTX2080 Ti and game now flys

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom