• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Been playing with my 3900x and PBO as well as stock boost settings, and vcore offsets.. none of which makes a lot of difference. Voltage offset reduces performance straight away. PBO is a waste of time. I do get boost on one core to 4560-ish for very brief moments. But the all core frequencies are crap. So I will just stick with my usual overclock.

Soldato
I have this thread bookmarked as they release regular beta BIOS versions there. https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-...te-x570-aorus-owners-thread.html#post28023210
All Gigabyte ABBA BIOS versions are currently listed as beta. I think they should label them as such on the main download page, so people know what they're downloading.

Interesting. Well in that case (if that is official) then they are indeed betas. But seems a bit risky of gigabyte to rush it out on day one if it is still a beta bios.

Associate
Interesting. Well in that case (if that is official) then they are indeed betas. But seems a bit risky of gigabyte to rush it out on day one if it is still a beta bios.
Why? Most BIOS releases are BETA releases. There's usually a bunch of them on the respective forums compared to the 'official' ones you see on the websites for download.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have been umming and ahhhing all week whether to swap to a 3600x and Asus X570 Rog Strix-F (done with Gigabyte boards forever) that I found for a cracking price elsewhere. All this buzz about IF tweaking and memory tweaking has really got me interested. The thing is I would gain nothing and in all reality probably actually lose some performance. I don't play triple A titles and mostly play simulators and management games with the odd strategy and fps thrown in which for the most part are not multithreaded so single core performance is very important. I game at 2560x1440 on a Gsync 144hz 27" screen so am mostly gpu limited anyway. I am just sick and fed up with all the Intel vulnerabilities that keep being found. The vulnerabilities themselves may not affect me but the so called "fixes" will. This all stems from me running out of patience last November and doing a sidegrade from a 4790k to the 9600k and Z390 instead of doing what I should have done and waited for Ryzen 3000 to launch. I have the "itch" and want to scratch it but am afraid of being very dissappointed if I do. Another problem is that should brexit ever happen prices are likely to go through the roof so it's really a case of now or never.

Soldato
I have been umming and ahhhing all week whether to swap to a 3600x and Asus X570 Rog Strix-F (done with Gigabyte boards forever) that I found for a cracking price elsewhere. All this buzz about IF tweaking and memory tweaking has really got me interested. The thing is I would gain nothing and in all reality probably actually lose some performance. I don't play triple A titles and mostly play simulators and management games with the odd strategy and fps thrown in which for the most part are not multithreaded so single core performance is very important. I game at 2560x1440 on a Gsync 144hz 27" screen so am mostly gpu limited anyway. I am just sick and fed up with all the Intel vulnerabilities that keep being found. The vulnerabilities themselves may not affect me but the so called "fixes" will. This all stems from me running out of patience last November and doing a sidegrade from a 4790k to the 9600k and Z390 instead of doing what I should have done and waited for Ryzen 3000 to launch. I have the "itch" and want to scratch it but am afraid of being very dissappointed if I do. Another problem is that should brexit ever happen prices are likely to go through the roof so it's really a case of now or never.

I understand the itch, but the wise thing to do is to wait for what comes next. New Intel chips / new AMD chips. Just today is a rumour around the Intel 10000 series Ice lake chips. Your kick your self again if you do a side grade for no benefit when these chips come out. Forget Brexit no one knows what's going to happen.

And if you did upgrade I wouldn't upgrade form a 9600k to a 3600x. It would have to be more substantial than that.

Why not just get a 9900k?

Soldato

9600k is a very capable gaming chip.

The RAM OC'ing stuff interested me also and I'd never done it before and it's a bit of a learning curve. Previously it was set XMP and that was it. Though, for Zen 2 there have been 2-3 BIOS's now since release increasing RAM compatibility. Many get 3200Mhz RAM running at 3600Mhz no problem. IF needs really to stay at 1:1 as the many tests have shown that there isnt that much gain decoupling the IF and RAM clock. But you can get quite an increase in performance (in games) by clocking the RAM and tightening timings. But it is a bit of a dark art and there are plenty of people to help. Zeed was very active and he seems to have disappeared from the forum and another I saw him on. I hope he's OK. But he was very helpful with people getting to grips with the many RAM settings along with other members. I'm still very n00b at it and I was glad to just get mine stable - so haven't tightened the timings on mine yet until BIOS's mature as it takes quite a while changing values in BIOS, rebooting, testing then change another value. Patience is a virtue I do not possess to the annoyance of most that know me.

The DRAM calc guy wrote a guide here which is comprehensive but a bit of a read. Values given in the DRAM calc is a good place to start to be nearly stable

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/

And for the performance uplift see;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=524&v=iH3qq_mSxTM

Associate
Another problem is that should brexit ever happen prices are likely to go through the roof so it's really a case of now or never.

There is no reason Brexit should affect prices negatively, the pound has already been hammered and won’t go down much more, and once we leave the EU we will no longer be inside the tariff walls of the custom union. Given that cpus and motherboards are imported from outside the EU those tariffs can now be reduced.

Back
Top Bottom