• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
That's some fresh mad speculation there.

No more than suggesting that Brexit will cause prices to increase significantly.

Brexit chaos caused by the useless Tories has already hammered the currency, what bad news could come that would make it worse now? Every option now leads to a resolution of the issue which will calm markets. Added to that we will be free of the EU tariff wall (unless the idiots keep us in the customs union, in which case it's not Brexit).

Soldato
No more than suggesting that Brexit will cause prices to increase significantly.

Brexit chaos caused by the useless Tories has already hammered the currency, what bad news could come that would make it worse now? Every option now leads to a resolution of the issue which will calm markets. Added to that we will be free of the EU tariff wall (unless the idiots keep us in the customs union, in which case it's not Brexit).

There's no floor to how low our currency can go though. What stops it dropping further if there are more negative outcomes? The £ could go below £1-$1 if problems keep going.

Associate
There's no floor to how low our currency can go though. What stops it dropping further if there are more negative outcomes? The £ could go below £1-$1 if problems keep going.

And the world could end tomorrow.

You're right nothing's a guarantee, but my reasonably educated guess is that all the bad news has been baked into the currency cake already and a resolution to the issue will only calm the markets and stabilize things.

Just like before the referendum the currency had risen a fair bit, assuming that we would vote to remain. If we did vote to remain the currency wouldn't have moved much, but when we beat the odds it dropped 15% (making me a nice profit on my foreign stocks :) ).

Soldato
And the world could end tomorrow.

You're right nothing's a guarantee, but my reasonably educated guess is that all the bad news has been baked into the currency cake already and a resolution to the issue will only calm the markets and stabilize things.

Just like before the referendum the currency had risen a fair bit, assuming that we would vote to remain. If we did vote to remain the currency wouldn't have moved much, but when we beat the odds it dropped 15% (making me a nice profit on my foreign stocks :) ).

Yup it could end tomorrow, I would say there's much more likelihood of a no-deal brexit crushing the £ even more than the world ending tomorrow though.

Associate
It's talk like this that will cause recessions etc - the only reason brexit can affect the economy, is because people are worried, and panicking and so stop spending money. If everyone just calmed the hell down, took a chill pill and carried on like normal, nothing will happen.

Associate
All this buzz about IF tweaking and memory tweaking has really got me interested
Funny, I got the same kind of itch. Buy Ryzen 3k to play with timings and settings so that it performs as best as it can. Not that I need that tiny performance gain anyway. But its been more than 4 years since I built my current system, and this itch doesn't go away.

So make sure you base your decisions on actual motivation. Do you want a faster system or a new hobby project?

Man of Honour
I understand the itch, but the wise thing to do is to wait for what comes next. New Intel chips / new AMD chips. Just today is a rumour around the Intel 10000 series Ice lake chips. Your kick your self again if you do a side grade for no benefit when these chips come out. Forget Brexit no one knows what's going to happen.

And if you did upgrade I wouldn't upgrade form a 9600k to a 3600x. It would have to be more substantial than that.

Why not just get a 9900k?

Not interested in the overpriced 9900k at all plus it would be pointless for my needs anyway which is why I chose the 9600k in the first place. I also hate this motherboard due to it's bloody awful quirks such as a bios reset put's it into a boot loop and Gigabytes inability to give a decent well laid out bios like Asus manages. Intel will not be getting any more of my money until they release a completely vulnerability free architecture and if AMD keeps improving as they are probably not even then. If I can resist the urge to buy something new to play with my next build will probably be in 2021 when AMD launches their next socket and cpu's.

Funny, I got the same kind of itch. Buy Ryzen 3k to play with timings and settings so that it performs as best as it can. Not that I need that tiny performance gain anyway. But its been more than 4 years since I built my current system, and this itch doesn't go away.

So make sure you base your decisions on actual motivation. Do you want a faster system or a new hobby project?

Shiney :D. With Intel it's a case of increasing the multiplier and vcore and that's it, overclock done. I did some memory tweaking as well but to be honest I just don't want to go back into the bios to do anything else. I have had Asus boards for my previous few builds and the boards worked as intended and the bios was a pleasure to use. I thought I would give Gigabyte a go this time around as they seemed to have a solid following and the board got good reviews. In reality the board is bloody terrible. Reset the bios to defaults to remove the overclock so I can test if that was causing Civilization 5 to crash and the board goes into a boot loop switching between the two bios chips. There is no switch for the user to select which bios to use. In the end I had to power off at the wall, take the battery out and leave it for a while. came back and put the battery back in and it still took a couple of boots to get into windows. A board shouldn't behave like that and the bios layout is just terrible with settings in several different sections instead of all in one.

With AMD it seems to be do a manual cpu overclock or set it to PBO and then play with Infinity Fabric and then memory timings for which you can even download a tool to find the best settings. It's more like the good old overclocking days of socket 775 where you actually have to work to get the best out of everything. I shall resist for now though. :(

Soldato
Anyone know if any specific tests done with dual rank/sided RAM vs single when comparing different memory speeds etc? Seen a couple of YT videos where the dual rank/sided usually performs better, but most kits are single rank/sided.

Btw what are we expecting from the 4000 chips? Been reading mixed things on it but I suppose up to 10% overall perf seems to be about right

Soldato
Anyone know if any specific tests done with dual rank/sided RAM vs single when comparing different memory speeds etc? Seen a couple of YT videos where the dual rank/sided usually performs better, but most kits are single rank/sided.

Btw what are we expecting from the 4000 chips? Been reading mixed things on it but I suppose up to 10% overall perf seems to be about right

Is proven since 1800X, dual rank is better for ryzen performance.

Associate
Hi All, I just wondered if someone could point me in the right direction to tighten my RAM timings. I am currently running Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 with my 3700X and they run fine with XMP. I fancy trying some tighter timings but no idea where to begin.

Cheers

Soldato
Is proven since 1800X, dual rank is better for ryzen performance.
So in regards to the NEO kits at least, 3600 CL16 32GB (2x16) which is dual rank, would be much the same performance wise as the 3600 CL14 16GB (2x8) which is single rank?

Looking at QVL lists i see nearly all 16GB kits are single rank, bar for the odd few which are in the 3200 speed range or lower i think.

Permabanned
Hi All, I just wondered if someone could point me in the right direction to tighten my RAM timings. I am currently running Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 with my 3700X and they run fine with XMP. I fancy trying some tighter timings but no idea where to begin.

Cheers

Ryzen ram calculator here.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-...locking-dram-am4-membench-0-8-dram-bench.html

You are opening a can of worms with Ryzen memory tuning, make sure to save your stable settings first. :p

Soldato
So in regards to the NEO kits at least, 3600 CL16 32GB (2x16) which is dual rank, would be much the same performance wise as the 3600 CL14 16GB (2x8) which is single rank?

Looking at QVL lists i see nearly all 16GB kits are single rank, bar for the odd few which are in the 3200 speed range or lower i think.

What's the price difference?

I use an ancient Ripjaws V 3600C16 which got with the 6700K some years back (4 years now) for £126, and is single rank Samsung-B die (16GB).

I didn't had issues to OC and tighten this ram so found no need to switch to dual rank ram.
This ram has worked with 6700K, 8600K, 6800K from intel. And also 1800X on CH7 the first week the Ryzen 1800X was on sale.
And when everyone was struggling to make their ram work at 3200Mhz, this specific pair of modules was working flawlessly on XMP profile at 3600C15.

Imho get a good quality ram kit like the 3600C14, OC it to 3866C15/14 (use the Ryzen DRAM calculator) and you are fine.

FYI these are the settings using atm with 1900 IF overclock. Not bad considering is 3600C16 out of the box.

os8ILEC.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom