• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
So from Der Bauers testing AMD have managed to get the chips to hit the advertised boost clocks but only under low load / idle conditions when it really doesn't matter. This ties in with Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus findings that performance gains are negligible in actual real world usage.

I've read a few posts where members have reported a noticeable boost in performance when they have upgraded their BIOS to the latest ABBA AGESA but they haven't said which BIOS they have upgraded from. I got a nice performance bump when I went from A to ABB but don't expect the same to be true going from ABB to ABBA. So I think it's important to for folks to state what version they have upgraded from when reporting any differences in performance after an upgrade.

Associate
Interesting video, the pitchfork squad are out for him on Reddit.

I watched gamers nexus abba vid yesterday and they hit 4.6 plus a few times,but can't remember if they overlayed load over their frequency charts ?

Soldato
Not just improvements in gaming, improvements in benchmarks too, despite the 3900X 4.6GHz oddity, many benchmarks are now showing higher single core boosting and holding that higher boost for longer.

Hardware Unboxed also pointed out, that it still depends on chip a lot as well. On their Aorus Extreme they never had boost issues at all; but with ABA that solved the issues on other boards. Yet depending on chip, some would hold the boost longer.

Makes we wonder how the 3950X with a 4.7Ghz boost will handle on mid range boards.

Soldato
So from Der Bauers testing AMD have managed to get the chips to hit the advertised boost clocks but only under low load / idle conditions when it really doesn't matter. This ties in with Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus findings that performance gains are negligible in actual real world usage.

I've read a few posts where members have reported a noticeable boost in performance when they have upgraded their BIOS to the latest ABBA AGESA but they haven't said which BIOS they have upgraded from. I got a nice performance bump when I went from A to ABB but don't expect the same to be true going from ABB to ABBA. So I think it's important to for folks to state what version they have upgraded from when reporting any differences in performance after an upgrade.
F4 abb to f6a abba

Associate
Hardware Unboxed also pointed out, that it still depends on chip a lot as well. On their Aorus Extreme they never had boost issues at all; but with ABA that solved the issues on other boards. Yet depending on chip, some would hold the boost longer.

Makes we wonder how the 3950X with a 4.7Ghz boost will handle on mid range boards.
Yeah it will be interesting. I still think there's a bit of silicon lottery going on. Though even with my borked 3700X that could still hit 4.4GHz. It was just never stable. Even underclocked to 3.6GHz base it was hitting 90C under load. Not on Aorus Master Extreme's either, this was the ASUS TUF WiFi and the AsRock Steel Legend. Thing is I personally don't care about Default or PBO, so they are less of an issue if they misbehave with those settings. Though if they want the best result I think using the system based off the Navi cards would be better. Have a target clock and boost depending on power envelope and temp envelope. It's heading that direction but still a lot less effective compared to the Navi solution.

The Vega style version was problematic at best. To the point it's a lot easier to lock it to a maximum predicted clock and then balance it off the voltage. If that could be done for Ryzen it would be a huge leap for PBO style use.

Soldato
All AGESA ABBA based Bios are in beta stage atm, ofc there might be issues.

Betas? But some manufactures have released them already for their boards.

If they where betas they would have released them as such.

Specifically what I meant was the ABBA seems to work as desired for the 3700x and 3800x but the 3900x seems to not be achieving what is expected consistently.

Back
Top Bottom