Peaky Blinders -New BBC series, 1919 Brummie Gangsters

Soldato
What was the aim of the person who planted the mines?

Was it A. that the son would go out to see the cross and be blown up first and then Thomas would find the note? Or was it intended to kill Thomas himself in which case he might have never seen the note and would be unable to work for the Billy Boys as he would be dead?

:-/ confused.

Or is it C, bad writing?

This season is an utter mess so far. It feels more about quality and staged poses in period dress than having a coherent story.

It felt like it was going that way last season and I think it's probably reached its nadir. Tommy has gone like Ragnar in Vikings all weird and broody and posing and not talking to anyone then will suddenly drop some amazing solution.from nowhere that only makes sense to him and will save the day.

Will watch the series out but if this is the quality going forward I hope this is the last season.

Soldato
Thought a lot of the vocabulary was indistinct in last nights episode , lost amongst other noise, further example of the BBC immersive experience. .... so - just surfed.

... yes - seemed like they were trying to get their moneys worth from a period clothing wardrobe ...and, assuming the the food was not VFX'd good feed for the actors (Uber eats?)

Soldato
The Mosley story line is awful, it assumes you know about the man and the history and does not explain his motives very well.

Then if you do know about him, the characterisation just seems quite off and he is a generic baddy type.

Soldato
did anyone have issues w/ the show last night? earlier, a friend was telling me her device had dropped BBC1 and 2. when I turned the TV over from my DVD, BBC1 was there. had a bit trawl of channels cos there was a few mins to go, and when I stepped down the list it got to ITV then nowt. eventually got BBC1 but it wasn't in the proper format, yet watching it via the Sky box was fine.

Soldato
worked fine on freeview (device?)... Black Sabbath / joy division and the ramboesque sten gun were the takeaways ...
oh and they'd had changed their clothes since last week.

[ My faith in the BBC was restored with the series state of the union and the Danish Darkness thriller at the weekend ]

Soldato
I actually can't bring myself to watch anything past the first episode of the new season. Wife fell asleep halfway through but I've just no interest in watching any more, just didn't grab me at all.

I've not even heard it mentioned at work which is odd as lots of people loved it.

Soldato
Well, after watching 4 seasons, I still don't get why it's rated so highly. To borrow a line from @No1newts It feels more about quality and staged poses in period dress. I know he is only talking about season 5, but I have felt that way about the whole show so far. There have been a couple of good episodes. But, it's basically, problem, problem, problem, problem, problem until the last half of the last Episode of the season where Tommy has come up with a solution to everything out the blue.

If you took out all the posing in period dress mentioned earlier, a season would only last 3 episodes.

Soldato
Season 6 all but written. Seventh planned that will take us up to WWII followed by a movie. [according to script writer]. Yes it's off somewhat. Found myself surfing my phone whilst watching on iplayer catch up :rolleyes:

Soldato
LOL .. "and some scenes that viewers may find distressing"

edit: I think they're targetting the american/international market with this UK political angle (never saw the crown, but like that, I think this will appeal to them)

Last edited:
Soldato
Got bored on the last episode and I’m not really sure what is going on and find myself not caring, the series seems to be going a bit like Game of Thrones

Associate
My wife and I saved up all this series episodes so we could watch them all without the wait inbetween. We got about halfway through the first episode and she fell asleep. I said I couldnt get any interest in the characters anymore and had no empathy with them so didnt want to watch the rest. She agreed so we just deleted the lot. Shame as we were hanging high hopes on enjoying its return to the screen

Soldato
I didn't care much for season 4 seemed very recycled, but thought the fact Tommy was going into politics would make for a really interesting situation this season. But no, just more of the same really. I think the way Mosley swooped in on Tommy was a huge mistake. I think you could have done a much better story with Churchill based on their history.

As others have said, maybe the story is kept simple for overseas audiences. The inner workings of parliament might have been seen as not playing well in the US.

Soldato
Just finishing up S4, only recently started this show. Just me or Adrien Brody was overacting his character? Little cartoonish for my taste, with that tooth pick and all so it just took away from the whole menace thing they were trying to push.

Tom Hardy is pretty well suited for his character though, enjoy his screen presence.

Back
Top Bottom