• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
4279c3dd9c1dd36deb9c6c5bd85278f2ab3530eeaa7b2835880123f98d6d9565.jpg

Soldato
Yes. At the moment, I'm not claiming I am stable. It's hardly been a week yet since I set VDDG to 1.1v.

But I'm giving it ago as it's the only thing I haven't fiddled with voltage wise.

1.1v SOC and 1.1v VDDG as per Ryzen Master documentation.

This had me confused too as some say vddg should be at 0.1v below SOC voltage and others say 40mv below is as close as it should go. Contradicts all the Ryzen documents though.
I can't get 1866 IF speed either, not tried 1833 though.

Soldato
Hmm Intel actual getting competitive. Roll on TR3.

smb5MAh.png

Oh dear. TR3 would be on it's own in HEDT platform.

Those could be possibly beaten by the 3900X and completely ridiculed by the 3950X. Doubt even the 10940XE would be able to beat the 3900X in multicore applications.
Let alone the amount of heat they would generate, which seems would be 250W+ for all but the 10900XE.

Soldato
Now that I'm on latest ASUS BIOS and AMD chipset driver, my 3700x is performing stunning style, with RAM sitting solid at 3600 C16.

I moaned enough when it wasn't working as expected, so only fair to report back when it's all good. :)

No purchase regrets any more, but I'll definitely hold off in future rather than buy on release.

Associate
Hmm Intel actual getting competitive. Roll on TR3.
This is not competition, its dumping. Nothing about new cpus makes them cheaper to manufacture than previous generation.

I love how they advertise "improving performance per dollar 2x". Like it any engineering feat happened. Nope. Performance stays same, price is cut 2x. Still making profit, which shows how overpriced the previous gen was.

Soldato
What do you mean 'didn't like'?

Touch wood so far I haven't had any instability yet.

Booted regular game (Insurgency Sandstorm) it was in the menus OK but when the game loaded the map, full crash and it wouldn't boot windows again, had to wait for the boot cycles (3) before it would load default BIOS.

'Could' have been something else but that was the first game played since changing to 1.1V VDDG. Put it back to 1.0 and played all eve fine. But that crash was black screen to POST.

Soldato
Booted regular game (Insurgency Sandstorm) it was in the menus OK but when the game loaded the map, full crash and it wouldn't boot windows again, had to wait for the boot cycles (3) before it would load default BIOS.

'Could' have been something else but that was the first game played since changing to 1.1V VDDG. Put it back to 1.0 and played all eve fine. But that crash was black screen to POST.

Hmm. That sounds odd. Sure if the only change you made was bumping VDDG to 1.1v from 1v but for the case of 0.1v I cant see how that was the problem.

I'm experience no such issues so far.

Soldato
Hmm. That sounds odd. Sure if the only change you made was bumping VDDG to 1.1v from 1v but for the case of 0.1v I cant see how that was the problem.

I'm experience no such issues so far.

I guess if Panos sees instability with only .01V then I guess 0.1V is actually significant amount, change wise. Mine really didnt like it at all. I did change it in RM also and not the BIOS. Maybe that was it.

Soldato
I guess if Panos sees instability with only .01V then I guess 0.1V is actually significant amount, change wise. Mine really didnt like it at all. I did change it in RM also and not the BIOS. Maybe that was it.

Yes all my changes are in the BIOS.

You're making me think I should lower mine out of the red and in to the yellow zone. (1.075mv)

Soldato
Yes all my changes are in the BIOS.

You're making me think I should lower mine out of the red and in to the yellow zone. (1.075mv)

My level of knowledge is exhausted to know any more, first time I've had to fettle the RAM on a system to get it stable, and it's rated for 3600Mhz, same RAM as yours. Learnt a fair bit but still no expert to be confident enough to be able to fully understand the relationship between some of these voltages. Maybe BIOS voltage only changes colours when it gets close to SOC and that's what the colour change represents? What happens to the colour of VDDG if you increase the SOC (without actually booting with higher values of course).

Back
Top Bottom