**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Caporegime
my first comment to this literally said that there are thin cases that look good, did you bother reading? by thick case I am literally targeting your choice of case, which isn't an 8mm thick case but adds a lot of bulk to already big phone.

Shock horror as different people prefer different things :)
Yes, I read: "cases as thick as my thumb". My case adds a couple of mm on all sides in exchange for excellent drop protection. It's a no-brainer.

Soldato
Yes, I read: "cases as thick as my thumb". My case adds a couple of mm on all sides in exchange for excellent drop protection. It's a no-brainer.

toe*

but as I've said, each to their own. I agree protection is nice etc but I'm extremely picky when it comes to cases. The one that is on my phone is probably 1.5mm thick and I'm just about happy with it.

Soldato
Most peple prefer the feel of unprotected nookie, but that doesn't make the obvious risks go away. A phone is a pretty damn similar analogy... rubber up and protect it from harm. A thin case hardly adds so much bulk.

People that don't use phone cases don't tend to go outside, so the nookie analogy may be lost on them:p

Associate
Manufacturers don'r care what you do after you buy your phone, they just want it to look as good and feel as premium as possible during the marketing periods and when you try/buy it. The practical concerns of how to protect an expensive electronics device prone to slipping and falling are left to the user to worry about.

I guess so. Being cynical, I'd say they do nicely selling screen protectors, cases, insurance and of course repairing said dropped phone.

Soldato
Loving the latest feature update. The Link to Windows / Your phone setup is great, finally can link android phone to windows without being forced to use Microsoft loader and apps, perfect. Samsung DeX is very cool too, shame it won't work over Wifi.

Soldato
Has the latest update broken anyone else's play/pause function on their Bluetooth headphones?

EDIT - A simple restart fixed the issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone else find that Smart Lock using location doesn't work very well? I have locations set up for home and work but it doesn't work half the time, even when the location shows me as being there.

Soldato
Anyone else find that Smart Lock using location doesn't work very well? I have locations set up for home and work but it doesn't work half the time, even when the location shows me as being there.

Yep, smart lock by location is very sketchy. I've used it on a few android phones and it's not great.

I can't tell whether it's the fact that GPS goes to sleep which makes sense or it times out through not being unlocked for a while which also makes sense.. either way it would be good to know other than it just not working.

When it doesn't work for me I've gone into google maps and it's shown me as a grey dot for a second then gone blue.. from that I've unscientifically concluded it's in some sort of low power mode that means smart lock doesn't work.

One way it always works however is to use other devices. So I use my car, watch and buds as devices that keep it unlocked and that works.

Associate
Lost my trusty S7 Edge on fri eve. Can't locate via Find my Phone but last location is showing on Google Maps timeline as the pub I was in. Nothing was handed in so guess it's a goner. I had a pin lock on it thankfully and have also requested a secure my device command via the Find my Phone app with my email address etc.

Bit worried the sd card data is readable? Or is it encrypted when you have pin etc set up? I have had the IMEI blacklisted too. Not sure what else I can do/try except hope it is handed to police. Tried 101 a few times but local station hasn't had it.

I have bought an S10 in meantime (was due anyway). All synced perfectly pretty much but only a handful of files etc I had in my Knox Secure Folder seem to have been restored even though there was a backup listed from the S7 from last week. Anyone else found the restore doesn't work for Secure Folder? Like I say, got some files but but just not all of them. Is there a way you can access the folder on PC too?

Soldato
Lost my trusty S7 Edge on fri eve. Can't locate via Find my Phone but last location is showing on Google Maps timeline as the pub I was in. Nothing was handed in so guess it's a goner. I had a pin lock on it thankfully and have also requested a secure my device command via the Find my Phone app with my email address etc.

Bit worried the sd card data is readable? Or is it encrypted when you have pin etc set up? I have had the IMEI blacklisted too. Not sure what else I can do/try except hope it is handed to police. Tried 101 a few times but local station hasn't had it.

I have bought an S10 in meantime (was due anyway). All synced perfectly pretty much but only a handful of files etc I had in my Knox Secure Folder seem to have been restored even though there was a backup listed from the S7 from last week. Anyone else found the restore doesn't work for Secure Folder? Like I say, got some files but but just not all of them. Is there a way you can access the folder on PC too?

SD card encrypting only happens when you go into the option to do so. Not automatically when you setup a pin :(

Associate
SD card encrypting only happens when you go into the option to do so. Not automatically when you setup a pin :(

I would def have enabled it if I had seen it as an option somewhere. But not 100% I ever did! Stuff like that should be on by default imo. Oh well. I used timeline in Google Maps to find last location, which was the pub. Nothing handed in though. Still chance police might have it so will keep calling. Just hope whoever does have it (assuming it's not still in some crevice somewhere) does the right thing. IMEI is now locked along with a pin set on device and a lost message with my details. Guess all I can do.

The Secure Folder business has really annoyed me though. Just assumed it would all be backed up but seems like only a few files made it in the restore. Guess at some point I was not backing them up then with the later files I opted to back them up? Bit odd either way.

Man of Honour
Got the September update this morning. 1.22GB and contains the new camera and feature additions like dynamic lock and Windows sync for mirroring notifications and accessing files easier.

On top of that, my Play Store and Instagram apps have switched to a dark theme now which looks much better. Now we're almost dark themed everywhere :cool:

Just Gmail, Facebook and FB Messenger left to go.

Soldato
Accidentally got to test how waterproof the phone is yesterday :eek:

Apart from "moisture detected" message in the USB port for an hour or so, all is well though.

Soldato
Got the September update this morning. 1.22GB and contains the new camera and feature additions like dynamic lock and Windows sync for mirroring notifications and accessing files easier.

On top of that, my Play Store and Instagram apps have switched to a dark theme now which looks much better. Now we're almost dark themed everywhere :cool:

Just Gmail, Facebook and FB Messenger left to go.
Sweet. I just wish Twitter, YouTube and Messages used the dark theme when it's activated system wide. Currently have to change them all separately.

Man of Honour
Twitter is fine, just turn it on manually one time and that's it. YouTube is exactly the same as is Messages. The dark theme within the system should always be on anyway IMO as it's just much better in all conditions both for the eyes and visually more appealing.

Soldato
The thing is I often prefer the standard white theme (I know, I'm sick in the head :p), however in the evenings I always activate dark mode and it'd be nice if I didn't have to do it individually for YouTube.

Associate
S10 battery seems poor to me. Is this a common issue? Only got it on Sat but coming from my lost S7 Edge I am finding it's about as good if not worse so far.

Back
Top Bottom