• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
Associate
So apparently PowerColor have gone strict with cooler removal.
Considering ocuk stopped stocking Powercolor until the 290 launched when these terms where agreed
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/powercolor-returns-to-overclockers-uk.18571599/
Looks like someone got dominated for PowerColor to change the terms and still be stocked.

Oh well I still need a gpu. Preferably aib that has a waterblock available.
Any ideas?

If watercooling, then you got to go with a reference design. They are overbuilt.

Soldato
So apparently PowerColor have gone strict with cooler removal.
Considering ocuk stopped stocking Powercolor until the 290 launched when these terms where agreed
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/powercolor-returns-to-overclockers-uk.18571599/
Looks like someone got dominated for PowerColor to change the terms and still be stocked.

Oh well I still need a gpu. Preferably aib that has a waterblock available.
Any ideas?

Reference is the best card for watercolling as is massively overbuild. The difference is so vast to the point that AIBs are using cheap ceramics and aluminium, when AMD uses Tantalum.

Associate
Ok, so I'm looking for some advice or pointers on working with my new Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT. This is my first "enthusiast" card and there appears to be much more to it than the simple plug n play of old. I've read through a lot of the reviews of the 5700XT cards and installed GPU-Z and HWinfo64 for monitoring the system, but the amount of settings in the Radeon drivers and Wattman are causing me to wonder If I should have gone with Nvidia as my last card, that I admittedly didn't use that much ( EVGA GTX 950 SC) was pretty straightforward.

For reference my system is an MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge with an i7-9700k running at stock. 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX at 3000MHz, with Samsung 970 and 860's drives, all powered by a Corsair RMx 850w PSU. Everything was check for compatibility, installed in a Meshify Mini C, and air cooled with a bunch of Noctua's. The graphics card is powered with 2 seperate cables. The card outputs via DP at QHD to an old 2009 iMac running in target display mode (as purchasing a 144Hz 27" monitor also seems to be a massive pain in the rear).

With a clean build of Windows 10 1903 and a download of the 19.9.3 drivers the card seemed OK, but didn't seem to be getting the sort of numbers I'd expect compared to various review sites. I''ve read that a 60Hz monitor could be bottlenecking the GPU so am not too worried about only seeing 90-100 frames in the Rise of the Tomb Raider benchamrk and a Time Spy score of around 9000. What's more concerning is the fact that when I updated the drivers to 19.10.1 it made the idel temps rise to 62 instead of the old 44. I'm running the card in its secondary (quiet) BIOS via the Sapphire TRIXX software, but have also run it in the primray BIOS. After reading that Afterburner could cause problems I've not installaed it, instead trying to use Wattman. The Auto Undervolt appears to work, though I'm not sure exatcly if it's doing anything. Auto overclock causes the screen to go black when launching a game or benchmark, and the fan curve modifier, whilst appear to work at lower temperatures and RPM settings, doesn't work when trying to limit the RPM to 1400, it still goes over this figure when at 70-75 degrees.

Apologies for the massively long post, but I'm getting a bit frustrated with having to spend loads of time testing, instead of just enjoying it.

Associate
If watercooling, then you got to go with a reference design. They are overbuilt.
Reference is the best card for watercolling as is massively overbuild. The difference is so vast to the point that AIBs are using cheap ceramics and aluminium, when AMD uses Tantalum.
Good point.
But my last two reference cards, msi 290 and sapphire tri x 290 w ere poor oc’ers. The msi gave total of 1050mhz and even then some games crashed tri x is giving me 1100, my 6950 twin forzr was also poor at 960mhz. I know Navi doesn’t oc like my cards so I guess this is a mute point.
Think you guys have saved me a load of money.

Edit I been looking at gaming x which is only 40 more than msi reference but pre order. Reference is in stock.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, so I'm looking for some advice or pointers on working with my new Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT. This is my first "enthusiast" card and there appears to be much more to it than the simple plug n play of old. I've read through a lot of the reviews of the 5700XT cards and installed GPU-Z and HWinfo64 for monitoring the system, but the amount of settings in the Radeon drivers and Wattman are causing me to wonder If I should have gone with Nvidia as my last card, that I admittedly didn't use that much ( EVGA GTX 950 SC) was pretty straightforward.

For reference my system is an MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge with an i7-9700k running at stock. 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX at 3000MHz, with Samsung 970 and 860's drives, all powered by a Corsair RMx 850w PSU. Everything was check for compatibility, installed in a Meshify Mini C, and air cooled with a bunch of Noctua's. The graphics card is powered with 2 seperate cables. The card outputs via DP at QHD to an old 2009 iMac running in target display mode (as purchasing a 144Hz 27" monitor also seems to be a massive pain in the rear).

With a clean build of Windows 10 1903 and a download of the 19.9.3 drivers the card seemed OK, but didn't seem to be getting the sort of numbers I'd expect compared to various review sites. I''ve read that a 60Hz monitor could be bottlenecking the GPU so am not too worried about only seeing 90-100 frames in the Rise of the Tomb Raider benchamrk and a Time Spy score of around 9000. What's more concerning is the fact that when I updated the drivers to 19.10.1 it made the idel temps rise to 62 instead of the old 44. I'm running the card in its secondary (quiet) BIOS via the Sapphire TRIXX software, but have also run it in the primray BIOS. After reading that Afterburner could cause problems I've not installaed it, instead trying to use Wattman. The Auto Undervolt appears to work, though I'm not sure exatcly if it's doing anything. Auto overclock causes the screen to go black when launching a game or benchmark, and the fan curve modifier, whilst appear to work at lower temperatures and RPM settings, doesn't work when trying to limit the RPM to 1400, it still goes over this figure when at 70-75 degrees.

Apologies for the massively long post, but I'm getting a bit frustrated with having to spend loads of time testing, instead of just enjoying it.

a) Leave the fan curve to what ever Sapphire has set
b) Are you using 2 separate cables from PSU to 5700XT or splitter cable?
c) 19.10.1 fixed boost issues. Ofc it would affect temps if the card works faster
d) Make sure when you overclock/undervolt you have PL at 0%. Do not touch this. Is better to give more voltage than give PL 50% as everything overheats and clocks getting reduced
e) Use DDU in safe mode, on reboot Ccleaner, run to fix registry twice and then install 19.10.1 again. Do not install relive and make sure Enhanced Sync is turned OFF at all times.

Let us know how it goes.

Associate
a) Leave the fan curve to what ever Sapphire has set
b) Are you using 2 separate cables from PSU to 5700XT or splitter cable?
c) 19.10.1 fixed boost issues. Ofc it would affect temps if the card works faster
d) Make sure when you overclock/undervolt you have PL at 0%. Do not touch this. Is better to give more voltage than give PL 50% as everything overheats and clocks getting reduced
e) Use DDU in safe mode, on reboot Ccleaner, run to fix registry twice and then install 19.10.1 again. Do not install relive and make sure Enhanced Sync is turned OFF at all times.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice:
a) So far I've left the fan curve at the Sapphire default since the only way I have to modify it at the moment is though Wattman and I only did this to try and keep the card cooler whilst idle.
b) Two seperate cables from PSU to the card I read this was preferred with cards that drew a high amount of watts
c) I can see the boost issue fixed when using 19.10.1, in the Tomb Raider benchmark, but why would the cards temperature increase to 60 degrees when sitting idle on the desktop with no open applications other than the usual background processes and GPU-Z to confirm that the card is idle?
d) I'll read up on the PL setting and check that it's at 0% thanks. The only thing I touched in Wattman was the auto-overclock button when I had the black screen issues.
e) I'll try the safe mode DDU and Ccleaner methods to see if that improve things as well.

Associate
Good point.
But my last two reference cards, msi 290 and sapphire tri x 290 w ere poor oc’ers. The msi gave total of 1050mhz and even then some games crashed tri x is giving me 1100, my 6950 twin forzr was also poor at 960mhz. I know Navi doesn’t oc like my cards so I guess this is a mute point.
Think you guys have saved me a load of money.

Edit I been looking at gaming x which is only 40 more than msi reference but pre order. Reference is in stock.

I had two reference 290s. Both were able to do stable 1200MHz in games. One can bench to 1300MHz and the used one (mining card) can do 1250MHz. My bottleneck in crossfire was my PSU.

Associate
I had two reference 290s. Both were able to do stable 1200MHz in games. One can bench to 1300MHz and the used one (mining card) can do 1250MHz. My bottleneck in crossfire was my PSU.
Xfire benched at 1200 but in one game I think blacklist it would black screen 1000mhz was the best it could do xfire, I think it was the msi that was poor.

What psu? I have a 850 gold seasonic x (impulse buy, parts cannon trying to find out why my Asus mobo wouldn’t always boot first time. Psu and mobo change and it still does it)

Associate
Thanks for the advice:
a) So far I've left the fan curve at the Sapphire default since the only way I have to modify it at the moment is though Wattman and I only did this to try and keep the card cooler whilst idle.
b) Two seperate cables from PSU to the card I read this was preferred with cards that drew a high amount of watts
c) I can see the boost issue fixed when using 19.10.1, in the Tomb Raider benchmark, but why would the cards temperature increase to 60 degrees when sitting idle on the desktop with no open applications other than the usual background processes and GPU-Z to confirm that the card is idle?
d) I'll read up on the PL setting and check that it's at 0% thanks. The only thing I touched in Wattman was the auto-overclock button when I had the black screen issues.
e) I'll try the safe mode DDU and Ccleaner methods to see if that improve things as well.
My xfire setup used to idle with high temp, turns out to be malware using my GPUs to mine bitcoin. Which reminds me I need antivirus, Windows hasn’t found any since the last big win 7 update

Associate
Xfire benched at 1200 but in one game I think blacklist it would black screen 1000mhz was the best it could do xfire, I think it was the msi that was poor.

What psu? I have a 850 gold seasonic x (impulse buy, parts cannon trying to find out why my Asus mobo wouldn’t always boot first time. Psu and mobo change and it still does it)

I had an evga 1300w at first and that was a fine. I switched to an evga 850w B20 and that was borderline. Actually, i was more worried about the 900W UPS. Yah, at stock, my 5700 matches or even beats my stock R9 290s in Firestrike Graphics score. With the R9s oc'ed, they match my XT at stock.

Associate
The Nitro+ is my first AMD card and I was a bit overwhelmed when I opened Radeon settings for the first time. Is there anything I should change or is it better to leave everything at default? Should I use the auto overclock profile? Anything else worth mentioning?

Soldato

You are not alone. There are many people posting these issues. And there is no real answer just yet. The card is well optimized to work in Superposition, 3DMark, etc. You should be able to run them at stock settings and get a good score. However, in certain games is where the problems start.

What is happening is the 5700 XT aggressively downclocks the moment it detects no activity (more or less). Not only will it drop the clock but also reduce GPU usage. It's a forced behavior. To those who either don't experience this or haven't looked into it will assume you have a CPU bottleneck (which is kinda hard to make in your case). For some as soon as they see low gpu usage they automatically assume CPU Bottleneck.

This is actually the behavior of the GPU and the drivers. Right now it is highly recommended to disable any hardware acceleration in your web browser which is an absolute sign that the boosting nature of Navi is fubar'd in some way. In games like BFV you have to enable future frame rendering. In other games do not set any frame rate caps as that too will fubar the boost feature in Navi.

Do not use Chill (that too is fubar'd). Open up Regedit and do a search for ChillEnabled it will show you a "invalid value". That hasn't been fixed for months now. To fix it yourself you will need to delete it and rename it ChillEnabled (Use Qword). And for now just leave it at 0 (a lot of debate back and forth if 0 is enable/disabled).

Since you already did a clean 1903 install you did what you should do as the drivers (so I'm told) are 1903 "friendly".

You want to pickup a program called Intelligent Standby List Cleaner. Use it. It will get rid of some of the stutters. It not only removes standby list which does cause stutter in game but also let you set a timer resolution to 1.00 or 0.50. It's kinda tricky though. You have to stop it click on the value with your mouse pointer hit enter then start it. Current Time Resolution should drop to the value you set.
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/intelligent-standby-list-cleaner-v1000-released

Set your bios PCIe3. Mainly for those that have PCIe4

Review and research Window Defender's cheeky Exploit Protection which is found in 1903. I don't recall which one you need to disable.

Other then that. Wait for AMD to release drivers to address it. However, it would be nice if AMD 1st acknowledge the issue.

Links:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/dgadb9/has_anyone_fixed_this_5700_xt_crazy_clock/
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/dg9c9d/my_rx_5700_xt_performance_help/
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/dgengm/low_fps_even_when_gpu_isnt_maxed_out/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dfbn2b/temp_solution_for_rx_5700_xt_bfv_low_fps_low_gpu/
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/dghx3z/5700xt_performance_question/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dfbn2b/temp_solution_for_rx_5700_xt_bfv_low_fps_low_gpu/

Edit 1:
As to 19.10.1 I am able to finally play BFv. But I had to use a few tricks to get it to work in combination to 19.10.1 (not ideal I should be able to plug/play). Other games do appear to keep it's boost better. But still observing.

Edit 2:
I also suggest that you take a look at this thread.
Then follow the instructions on this pic if you have a freesync monitor. You are making freesync 1st.

However, I would not suggest changing the frequency.

Last edited:
Associate
The Nitro+ is my first AMD card and I was a bit overwhelmed when I opened Radeon settings for the first time. Is there anything I should change or is it better to leave everything at default? Should I use the auto overclock profile? Anything else worth mentioning?
Sounds like we should form the Sapphire Nitro+ support group

Associate
You are not alone. There are many people posting these issues. And there is no real answer just yet. The card is well optimized to work in Superposition, 3DMark, etc. You should be able to run them at stock settings and get a good score. However, in certain games is where the problems start.

What is happening is the 5700 XT aggressively downclocks the moment it detects no activity (more or less). Not only will it drop the clock but also reduce GPU usage. It's a forced behavior. To those who either don't experience this or haven't looked into it will assume you have a CPU bottleneck (which is kinda hard to make in your case). For some as soon as they see low gpu usage they automatically assume CPU Bottleneck.

This is actually the behavior of the GPU and the drivers. Right now it is highly recommended to disable any hardware acceleration in your web browser which is an absolute sign that the boosting nature of Navi is fubar'd in some way. In games like BFV you have to enable future frame rendering. In other games do not set any frame rate caps as that too will fubar the boost feature in Navi.

Do not use Chill (that too is fubar'd). Open up Regedit and do a search for ChillEnabled it will show you a "invalid value". That hasn't been fixed for months now. To fix it yourself you will need to delete it and rename it ChillEnabled (Use Qword). And for now just leave it at 0 (a lot of debate back and forth if 0 is enable/disabled).

Since you already did a clean 1903 install you did what you should do as the drivers (so I'm told) are 1903 "friendly".

You want to pickup a program called Intelligent Standby List Cleaner. Use it. It will get rid of some of the stutters. It not only removes standby list which does cause stutter in game but also let you set a timer resolution to 1.00 or 0.50. It's kinda tricky though. You have to stop it click on the value with your mouse pointer hit enter then start it. Current Time Resolution should drop to the value you set.
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/intelligent-standby-list-cleaner-v1000-released

Set your bios PCIe3. Mainly for those that have PCIe4

Review and research Window Defender's cheeky Exploit Protection which is found in 1903. I don't recall which one you need to disable.

Other then that. Wait for AMD to release drivers to address it. However, it would be nice if AMD 1st acknowledge the issue.

Links:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/dgadb9/has_anyone_fixed_this_5700_xt_crazy_clock/
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/dg9c9d/my_rx_5700_xt_performance_help/
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/dgengm/low_fps_even_when_gpu_isnt_maxed_out/
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/dghx3z/5700xt_performance_question/
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33077063

Edit 1:
As to 19.10.1 I am able to finally play BFv. But I had to use a few tricks to get it to work in combination to 19.10.1 (not ideal I should be able to plug/play). Other games do appear to keep it's boost better. But still observing.

Edit 2:
I also suggest that you take a look at this thread.
Then follow the instructions on this pic if you have a freesync monitor. You are making freesync 1st.

Thanks for the reply and the all-round sanity check for my issues. I realise that we’re early on in the Navi lifecycle but just didn’t think that we’d still be getting these sorts of multiple issues in 2019. I guess the more complexity they add, the more there is to go wrong.
I’ll checkout your recommendations and carry on the research and reading. Should hopefully have it all fixed in time for Cyberpunk :)

Soldato

On idle the fans do not spin. And if on idle the card hits 60C means you do not have good positive airflow in your system. Any card with zero-fan speed on idle would experience the same issue here.
You can go then to fan setting in wattman and set the minimum speed to 10%. The card will continuously run the fans.

And add some extra fans to improve the positive airflow in the case (positive airflow means incoming fresh air)

Soldato
Thanks for the reply and the all-round sanity check for my issues. I realise that we’re early on in the Navi lifecycle but just didn’t think that we’d still be getting these sorts of multiple issues in 2019. I guess the more complexity they add, the more there is to go wrong.
I’ll checkout your recommendations and carry on the research and reading. Should hopefully have it all fixed in time for Cyberpunk :)
Here here!

But yeah this whole thing really looks to me to be an issue with how the drivers keep the gpu feed. The low gpu utilization maybe an indication of that even though the clocks lower as well.
Although some believe in CPU bottlenecks, and they can happen, it's really the drivers which tell the cpu what to do in 3d gaming, full stop! If your CPU utilization isn't reading 95% and higher during gaming you are not cpu restrained.

I hate to say it but this is my first time experiencing a driver issue like this, no I am not kidding. All the rants about AMD drivers in the past I've waved off as hearsay. It's not to say this is a "historic issue" and I will refute and deny any such claims because that is not my experience. However, in this case, they need to revisit how Navi boost and under what conditions it to boost and to cut boost.

I want to further add that you must use 2 separate pcie cables. I've read posts where nearly everyone who has a monitor issue (not dual monitor issue as I'm not sure about that one) with Navi has a dual pcie connector on a single cable. I recall Jaystwocents doing a video about that and found that using separate cables kept the card cooler and boost more (nvidia card). But the gist still holds true. If you are getting:
-higher then normal temps
-monitor problems
-low fps even though it boost correctly
-lower then expected boost
I suggest that you make sure that you have 2 pcie cables.

Back
Top Bottom