• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Associate
OP
It seems to have revealed different 'Overclocking' options in BIOS from what I had previously.. and 'Game Boost' seems to have appeared too, although doesn't seem to help much :)

Soldato
Sorry to jump in and ask a question that’s almost certainly been answered. Huge thread and I’m hoping to order sharpish for delivery tomorrow...

I have an x570 board and all but case and CPU.

I’ll almost exclusively be gaming (RTX2080) too.

Is there any real value in getting a 3700x, and is it still the case that the 3600x isn’t worth the £60 more than the 3600?

TLDR: will I still get the best out of a new gaming build using a 3600 with an RTX 2080, or shall I plump for the 3700x?

Ta

Soldato
Minimal difference between the 3600 and 3700 for gaming even less with the 3600X. Save the £100+ and get the 3600. I'm running one with a 1080ti and it's great, no CPU bottleneck in any game.

Soldato
Sorry to jump in and ask a question that’s almost certainly been answered. Huge thread and I’m hoping to order sharpish for delivery tomorrow...

Is there any real value in getting a 3700x, and is it still the case that the 3600x isn’t worth the £60 more than the 3600?

TLDR: will I still get the best out of a new gaming build using a 3600 with an RTX 2080, or shall I plump for the 3700x?

Ta

I went the 3600X route with my 2080 as the CPU I thought was worth the little extra for a higher boost clock & games liking higher clocks.
Another reason was the higher TDP & with good cooling then a more sustained higher boost could be possible.
After testing the 3600X it performs the same as a 3900 in single core Cinebench but just lacking a load of cores.
In reality, games very rarely push any one core of the CPU over 80%, though briefly boosting 2-4 cores at 4.4 or perhaps Afterburner is not reporting the max clock properly.

Associate
OP

Ta

Agree with @RavenXXX2, save the additional and buy some.. RGB :)

Associate
Question.

Why does my temperature seem to spike when I'm not doing anything that I'd class as massively CPU intensive? Installing a program for example.

Can hear the fan ramp up as the temp goes from 32-42 to the low 50's.

AORUS X570 elite

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Even on latest BIOS my ryzen 3600 does not like my Corsair 3200MHz CL16 RAM running on XMP. Not had a crash, but fine bench got N error a few times, so pretty sure it is ram. Only thing I can think of is right now it is on auto but I may need to pick manually one of three profiles there.

Does anyone else use XMP or is this cpu very fussy and needs manual calibration of ram?

Caporegime
Even on latest BIOS my ryzen 3600 does not like my Corsair 3200MHz CL16 RAM running on XMP. Not had a crash, but fine bench got N error a few times, so pretty sure it is ram. Only thing I can think of is right now it is on auto but I may need to pick manually one of three profiles there.

Does anyone else use XMP or is this cpu very fussy and needs manual calibration of ram?

Corseair Vengeance LPX 3000, works fine on XMP and overclocked, no problems.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Question.

Why does my temperature seem to spike when I'm not doing anything that I'd class as massively CPU intensive? Installing a program for example.

Can hear the fan ramp up as the temp goes from 32-42 to the low 50's.

AORUS X570 elite

Because installing a program is a low load, low core, "bursty" type workload. With Ryzen low load, low core workloads will boost a couple of cores to their max boost, which requires a higher voltage, but low current.

If you start doing something longer (less bursty) more involved using more cores, the voltage will actually drop, as will the frequency as more cores are loaded to keep the current under control.

Associate
Because installing a program is a low load, low core, "bursty" type workload. With Ryzen low load, low core workloads will boost a couple of cores to their max boost, which requires a higher voltage, but low current.

If you start doing something longer (less bursty) more involved using more cores, the voltage will actually drop, as will the frequency as more cores are loaded to keep the current under control.

With you! Has this changed since the 1st gen of Ryzens ( Coming from a 1600X) feel like this wasn't what happened on that

ljt

ljt

Soldato
With you! Has this changed since the 1st gen of Ryzens ( Coming from a 1600X) feel like this wasn't what happened on that

Not that much different in principle. The reason the temperatures seem to "spike" is simply due to the much smaller 7nm node meaning that heat now has a much smaller surface area to dissipate from. The 1st and 2nd gen Ryzens simply had more surface area to dissipate the heat across so the spikes weren't as significant.

The 1st and 2nd gen CPU's were also less sensitive to burst type requests which meant you saw less spikes in temperature.

If you use Ryzen master software it now shows an average CPU package temperature which gives a more accurate overall temperature as well as the peak temperature (the temperature spike)

Associate
Not that much different in principle. The reason the temperatures seem to "spike" is simply due to the much smaller 7nm node meaning that heat now has a much smaller surface area to dissipate from. The 1st and 2nd gen Ryzens simply had more surface area to dissipate the heat across so the spikes weren't as significant.

The 1st and 2nd gen CPU's were also less sensitive to burst type requests which meant you saw less spikes in temperature.

If you use Ryzen master software it now shows an average CPU package temperature which gives a more accurate overall temperature as well as the peak temperature (the temperature spike)

Ahh, yeah that makes sense.

Idle at desktop is 32-36c when looking via Ryzen Master

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Ahh, yeah that makes sense.

Idle at desktop is 32-36c when looking via Ryzen Master

Yeah that's fine, thats what my 3700x idles around give or take depending on the ambient.

What does a run of cinebench peak at? (voltage should drop to around 1.28v during a full load run on default, none PBO settings) and what cooler are you using?

Associate
Yeah that's fine, thats what my 3700x idles around give or take depending on the ambient.

What does a run of cinebench peak at? (voltage should drop to around 1.28v during a full load run on default, none PBO settings) and what cooler are you using?

Haven't checked Cinebench temps, i'll do that now.

Just came out of Borderlands 3 and the CPU temp was around the 60-65.

Using the
  • Alpenfohn Ben Nevis cooler
  • Noctua nt-h2 thermal paste.
  • 3 x Arctic p14 PWM fans in the Define R5

Silent profile set in the Gigabyte Smart Fan 5

Cinebench.

CPU
Result - 3535
Temp - 70-74C

CPU Single Core
Result 483
Temp - 50-60C
Peak Speed - 4.195Mhz

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Haven't checked Cinebench temps, i'll do that now.

Just came out of Borderlands 3 and the CPU temp was around the 60-65.

Using the
  • Alpenfohn Ben Nevis cooler
  • Noctua nt-h2 thermal paste.
  • 3 x Arctic p14 PWM fans in the Define R5

Silent profile set in the Gigabyte Smart Fan 5

Cinebench.

CPU
Result - 3535
Temp - 70-74C

CPU Single Core
Result 483
Temp - 50-60C
Peak Speed - 4.195Mhz

Those temps are spot on for a single tower cooler.

I get around 65C on Cinebench MT with a Noctua NH-D14 (1x140mm + 1x120mm fan)

I'm not that familiar with Gigabytes BIOS fan control, but if you want to stop your CPU cooler fan spinning up every time it lightly boosts, then you could set a custom profile to stay at he same fan speed % up until about 65C then have a gradual increase from there until 75C of say another 10% - 15% then jump to say 70% speed for any temp over 85C

I.e. my fan profile is around 30% speed up until 65C,(this keeps it nice and quiet during light boost work) then from 66C to 75c it ramps up gradually to 40%, then about 76c - 90C it tops out at 50% then full whack over 91C, which to be fair it never has hit near that temp

Associate
Those temps are spot on for a single tower cooler.

I get around 65C on Cinebench MT with a Noctua NH-D14 (1x140mm + 1x120mm fan)

I'm not that familiar with Gigabytes BIOS fan control, but if you want to stop your CPU cooler fan spinning up every time it lightly boosts, then you could set a custom profile to stay at he same fan speed % up until about 65C then have a gradual increase from there until 75C of say another 10% - 15% then jump to say 70% speed for any temp over 85C

I.e. my fan profile is around 30% speed up until 65C,(this keeps it nice and quiet during light boost work) then from 66C to 75c it ramps up gradually to 40%, then about 76c - 90C it tops out at 50% then full whack over 91C, which to be fair it never has hit near that temp

Yeah I'm going to keep an eye on it and tinker with the profile if I'm not happy with things as they are!

Cheers for the help

Back
Top Bottom