Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
Picking up on this thread...i have a De'Longhi Eletta ECAM 44.660.B Bean to Cup. I find the coffee extremely weak and watery in its constitency after 4 months with the machine. If i adjust the "strengh" option to "strong", then the taste is not too bad but i would prefer a much denser coffee. There is a huge difference with a typical Nespresso machine for ex. I wonder if i have unreasonable expectations....

I adjusted the grinder setting by putting it to 1 but i did not know that it had to be done one unit by one unit and only when in action. So maybe i broke the grinder or something?

any pointers or advice ? or you all hate these machines anyhow !

THANK YOU

Soldato
To be honest I bought it from Argos when it was on sale (End of line?) for £180, for a Bean to Cup machine that's a billy bargain so perhaps I'm expecting too much from it. Looking back now perhaps I should've spent a bit more money on a manual Sage Machine.

Associate
To be honest I bought it from Argos when it was on sale (End of line?) for £180, for a Bean to Cup machine that's a billy bargain so perhaps I'm expecting too much from it. Looking back now perhaps I should've spent a bit more money on a manual Sage Machine.
mine cost more around £600....so hopefully....

Associate
Just got in from work to home to see delivery of my lelit bianca
http://bianca.lelit.com/index-eng.html
today having recently also upgraded to a niche grinder.
https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/

Moving house and suddenly having space to upgrade and have something awesome is amazing. Unfortunately I’m on call and can’t play until Sunday. Can’t wait to get playing. It’s been an expensive month, but hey ho

Soldato
Just got in from work to home to see delivery of my lelit bianca
http://bianca.lelit.com/index-eng.html
today having recently also upgraded to a niche grinder.
https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/

Moving house and suddenly having space to upgrade and have something awesome is amazing. Unfortunately I’m on call and can’t play until Sunday. Can’t wait to get playing. It’s been an expensive month, but hey ho

The same setup as me, you will love it.

I just had a lovely espresso with this months Dog & Hat sub, Unorthodox Coffee - Uganda Cycle Psycho.

Hope you have a good set of scales too.

Soldato
I know we discussed the LeLit paddle before, for pre-infusion, but what is the practical experience like n months in ?
Do you find you change it much, or, just leave it at what a (hardwired) E60 might do ?

edit: my memory is rubbish
I have already been playing with the paddle and trying some of the profiling shots, I'm not sure I have the palate to be able to tell the difference. All I know is that the coffee I make at home now is some of the best I've ever tasted. I haven't tried the really fine grinds and long pre-infusion shot yet. Sadly I have come down with a cold today so my taste has taken a hit.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know we discussed the LeLit paddle before, for pre-infusion, but what is the practical experience like n months in ?
Do you find you change it much, or, just leave it at what a (hardwired) E60 might do ?

edit: my memory is rubbish

I have done quite a few long pre-infusion shots and it does change the flavour profile, I also tried a 7 bar shot. I've probably not played as much as I should have though.

I think at least 90% of my shots are just standard, often I'm making an early morning shot before work and don't have time to mess about.

The flow control is just an added bonus really, even without it I think the Bianca is great value and I'm 100% happy with my purchase.

alx

alx

Soldato
Does anyone know the difference between the DeLonghi ESAM 4000/4200 and ECAM 22.110 bean to cup models? I know in previous threads people have liked their ESAM 4200 machines, however the ECAM 22.110 can be had for a similar price however not sure if it's a better model or not. Googling has thrown up inconsistent answers.

Caporegime
Can anyone recommend any mugs? I've just smashed my last espresso mug which was a nice cheap. Rhinowares one. But it seems they don't make them anymore! :(

I'd rather not spend a fortune. But finding one that's the right volume seems hard. 70ml iirc?

Man of Honour
I find the tulip style cups more awkward as well, much prefer the rounded ones. Acme don't seem to do them anymore, shame.

Oddly, one of my most used cups is a Barista & Co grey cortado handleless thing. Love it. Not made anymore. Found it in TK Maxx a few years ago and have used it really regularly ever since. Should have bought all the ones they had. Also really like my WWII Corning glass handleless watch mug.. also not made anymore. Hmmm... spotting a pattern here.

Back
Top Bottom