Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
indeed - breakfast picture looks good ... assume you can have breakfast at lunch no 'falling down' ..
maybe I missed the sausages' pedigree, and, would have liked to see a picture of the pancakes+maple option - personal weakness

Yeah mate Menu is ALL day until we switch to the Bistro menu Thurs-Sat from 6pm
Ah we didn't do any shots of the Pancakes sorry..

If I remember for next time

Soldato
Soldato
Jamss Hoffman is a coffee professional (roaster, buys and sells beans etc) and he doesn't drink machine espresso at home.

https://jimseven.com/2006/08/08/espresso-at-home/

Some people just don't prefer machine espresso :)

I get that some people prefer this to that and a moka pot does bring out a different flavour compared to a machine.

But I can pull a better drink on my machine than I have had in most small cafes and places like costa/starbucks etc. Granted thats probably more down to the beans I use but still. Only places i get better coffee are the very good coffee shops.

I’ve been drinking filter (V60, Chemex) solely for the past 2 months, so much so I’ve emptied the water from my machine. I think it must be the hot weather.

I do enjoy a filter every so often tbf. I keep looking at chemex' but they just dont seem worth it for the one cup of coffee I have a day. How does it compare to a v60?

Caporegime
I do enjoy a filter every so often tbf. I keep looking at chemex' but they just dont seem worth it for the one cup of coffee I have a day. How does it compare to a v60?

It’s exactly the same, the difference is I can make a big jug instead of 1 cup and then I put the whole thing in the fridge and drink it cold over the next few days like cold brew and add milk when I have it.

Soldato
Jamss Hoffman is a coffee professional (roaster, buys and sells beans etc) and he doesn't drink machine espresso at home.
Some people just don't prefer machine espresso
his site appears still down .. but the middle ground are the classic lever pavoni machines ... but may not fit under the shelf.

a quick perusal of amazon .. do you really need gas for a genuine moka pot ?
induction+halogen have coils about 5" diameter so may miss the (aluminium - no thanks) pot, or electric version seem to be $$$

Soldato
@Participant I see you are also in Warwickshire, you're welcome to pop round mine for a play on my machine and see if I can make you an espresso you like. I have a decent bean selection at the moment.

I moved from a Sage DTP and SGP to a Niche Zero and Lelit Bianca, I made better coffee than most cafes on the Sage, now my coffee is as good as the best I have had anywhere.

Soldato
Sometimes you just need to spend time to find what you like. I really like my espresso setup now (although would like a new machine next year), but for ages I could never get a pour over setup or method I was happy with - or content with to make drinks for multiple people.

In the end bought a Moccamaster for cheaps on Amazon and haven't looked back. My V60 and Chemex are now resigned to the cupboard now.

Caporegime
@Participant I see you are also in Warwickshire, you're welcome to pop round mine for a play on my machine and see if I can make you an espresso you like. I have a decent bean selection at the moment.

I moved from a Sage DTP and SGP to a Niche Zero and Lelit Bianca, I made better coffee than most cafes on the Sage, now my coffee is as good as the best I have had anywhere.

TBF, that isn't hard. After making coffee for yourself, finding good coffee is nigh on impossible.

Soldato
his site appears still down .. but the middle ground are the classic lever pavoni machines ... but may not fit under the shelf.

induction+halogen have coils about 5" diameter so may miss the (aluminium - no thanks) pot, or electric version seem to be $$$
I've got a Bialetti stainless steel moka, and on the bottom it's got icons for induction, gas, electric etc. So it's doable (and avoids aluminium).

Have yet to use it though, and we've since had glass top halogens fitted with no small ring :mad:

Soldato
I don't suppose anyone has a pressure gauge I could borrow for OPV modding my Gaggia Classic please? I've just fitted a PID kit and the difference in consistency is amazing, so just looking to make any further tweaks I can now. :)

Soldato
I'm really not enjoying instant coffee and I've really neglected the Gaggia over the last year or so so I've just ordered some RedBer beans to get started again.

I actually stripped the complete machine down a few months ago for a service and didnt use it afterwards. Hope it's still ok! Will run a few cleaning cycles through it over the next few days to get it clean inside again.

Have really missed a decent cup of coffee :(

I don't suppose anyone has a pressure gauge I could borrow for OPV modding my Gaggia Classic please? I've just fitted a PID kit and the difference in consistency is amazing, so just looking to make any further tweaks I can now. :)

How did you find fiting the PID kit? Which one did you get? The MrShades one?

Soldato

I've got a Bialetti stainless steel moka, and on the bottom it's got icons for induction, gas, electric etc. So it's doable (and avoids aluminium).

Have yet to use it though, and we've since had glass top halogens fitted with no small ring :mad:

All the Moka's I've seen are aluminium, but IIRC Bialetti is one of their sub-brands that do stainless and are designed to work on induction hobs. They are quite easy to use, but you need to experiment a little to see how you get the results you want. I find having it full on and then turning it to three quarters when it starts to hiss, then whipping it off quickly when it's done gives me the best results.

Soldato
Which one did you get and how easy was it to install?

The MrShades one, I didn't find installation particularly difficult but have done a few projects like these. The instructions are very comprehensive though so provided you follow them carefully it's hard to go too far wrong. Just take pictures and label things clearly before dissembling anything.

Back
Top Bottom