What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Laundromat

Not particularly coherent and pretty flat overall. For the amount of talent on screen, this is definitely a disappointment, felt like it was trying to be The Big Short in places but it didn't do a particularly good job at explaining things either.

6/10

Man of Honour
Bohemian Rhapsody
9/10

I loved this film. The casting was superb and it felt like they really were Queen. I had tingles going down my back at some of the Wembley scenes as I remember it very well.

I missed it in the cinema and was only watching on a tablet. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Soldato
Doom - Annihilation 6/10

Probably truer to the source than the Karl Urban/Dwayne Johnson version but very low budget with a cast of largely C list UK TV actors masquerading as colonial marines. The first 20 minutes were spent setting up characters most of whom were disposed of fairly quickly once the action started. Too much emphasis on the boo hiss bad guy scientist too. You got to see the BFG in action and I quite liked the realisation of the Imps, but no cacodemons or piggies. Just as the story got interesting it promptly ended!!

Soldato
Bohemian Rhapsody
9/10

I loved this film. The casting was superb and it felt like they really were Queen. I had tingles going down my back at some of the Wembley scenes as I remember it very well.

I missed it in the cinema and was only watching on a tablet. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I know I'm probably just old, but I still can't understand why anyone would want to watch a film on a 7 or 10 inch display. Even my first telly was 14 inches (and black & white)! If squinting's your thing, fine but I like to actually get engrossed in a film and I can't do that if all the characters are 3 inches tall :p

It was a good film though :)

Associate
We watched my name is dolomite last night. Really enjoyed it. Great performances from Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes, which is nice to see. Quite a sweet movie with some very funny bits.

I hope it's the kind of movie that inspires more guerrilla film making. Remind people that you don't need Disney levels of money to make something fun.

Man of Honour
Halloween (2018) - some surprisingly funny / enjoyable dialogue between characters in non-plot critical scenes, otherwise a highly formulaic / rather boring film. 4/10

Ghost Ship (2002) - Here’s a blast from the past. I typically love easy watch popcorn horror films like this. This is a pretty slick film and I honestly can’t believe it only cost them $20 million to make with the amount of water scenes they had, and a couple of quite good special effects shots? Has a very memorable opening ‘death scene’ too - brutal! Great, fun cast too.

But, it seems to really take time to get going and then nothing really happens. I quite liked the ‘motives of the baddy’ but it really feels like the pacing is off - there was a much better film wanting to be made.

As a bonus, it has possibly the best poster pun tag line of any film ever: “Ghost Ship - Sea Evil” :o :D

6/10

Soldato
I know I'm probably just old, but I still can't understand why anyone would want to watch a film on a 7 or 10 inch display. Even my first telly was 14 inches (and black & white)! If squinting's your thing, fine but I like to actually get engrossed in a film and I can't do that if all the characters are 3 inches tall :p

It was a good film though :)

Watching a tablet a foot or two away from your face isn't that much different to watching a TV halfway across a room, plus a lot of tablets these days are fairly high definition so there is no need to squint.

If anything, the audio is where you struggle vs a TV with a good sound setup.

Soldato
I think that may be the point for me though. I don't want to have to sit that close to a device just to see what's going on. Again, it's probably an age thing but I want to just sit back and relax watching a film, not have a smartphone / tablet pressed against my nose :)

Soldato
I think that may be the point for me though. I don't want to have to sit that close to a device just to see what's going on. Again, it's probably an age thing but I want to just sit back and relax watching a film, not have a smartphone / tablet pressed against my nose :)

I agree, it's much more enjoyable to relax on the settee and watch a TV and it'd be my choice all day, every day. I was just trying to say that there is no real quality loss watching visually on a tablet these days with the displays that are available.

Soldato
I agree, it's much more enjoyable to relax on the settee and watch a TV and it'd be my choice all day, every day. I was just trying to say that there is no real quality loss watching visually on a tablet these days with the displays that are available.

Displays have certainly improved exponentially since I had my 14" B&W CRT, that's for sure :)

Caporegime
My Cinema played Pans Labyrinth.

Was good to see it on the big screen after so many years.
Good film, a little bit creepy for Halloween.

I think they have the matrix 20 years later next week too!

Soldato
The Laundromat

Not particularly coherent and pretty flat overall. For the amount of talent on screen, this is definitely a disappointment, felt like it was trying to be The Big Short in places but it didn't do a particularly good job at explaining things either.

6/10

I think I would agree with this, maybe even a 5/10 and I'm generally easily pleased. Maybe I was playing with my phone too much as it started, but I almost didn't get the point of a lot of it. Seemed to be a few short stories stuck together on a similar theme. Wouldn't recommend.

Back
Top Bottom