**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Man of Honour
What are your software reservations?Android 10 especially in beta 3 appears to be the best version of Android 10 yet, reddit is raving about how smooth animations are and how it looks and feels overall. It's taken some 10 years but Samsung have reached where most thought would never be possible.

S11 is said to have a 5x optical zoom lens using periscope optics iirc, not sure if that will feature in all the models though but with the main cam being gen2 108MP, I imagine Samsung will do a Google with software to enhance digital zoom using all cameras as one, telephoto or not.

Associate
What are your software reservations?Android 10 especially in beta 3 appears to be the best version of Android 10 yet, reddit is raving about how smooth animations are and how it looks and feels overall. It's taken some 10 years but Samsung have reached where most thought would never be possible.

I must admit I haven't tried Android 10 on a Samsung, but mainly my reservations are with the look and feel of it as well as the well documented bloatware (duplicate apps and whatnot). Somehow its always just felt a bit 'clunky', but it sounds like they're moving in the right direction.

Man of Honour
I could swear this convo came up in another thread the other day.
If you consider Samsung mail, calc, calendar etc bloat then all Pixels also have bloat because you can't remove those Google apps if you prefer a third party alternative either. As for the look and feel, it's as close to Pixel Experience Android as it's ever been now, in most respects it's better because it has more features like Bixby Routines which is more powerful than Android Routines.

Regardless, the bundled apps use no additional resources so you can just uninstal/disable or hide them if you do prefer a third party alternative, just like on Pixel phones or any other OEM device.

The only curious one I found recently was Facebook Services which had higher than expected background usage so I thought it was using battery. After disabling it I found that battery consumption was no different and it was just the way it's all reported by Android. So really just a false positive there.

Soldato
I've turned off most of the Samsung stuff anyway so doesn't bother me, can't say the software feels any worse than P30 Pro and Sony Xperia 1 that I used before the S10e.

Only issue is slower updates but that's also a Three issue as they take longer from unlocked handsets to roll out the new software.

Associate
@mrk its a fair point I suppose, just old prejudices. Though I do mainly use the google apps so the Pixel stuff isn’t bloat to me because I would use it anyway. My reasons for dismissing it are dwindling though, I have to admit.

Associate
The battery difference between Snapdragon and Exynos isn't as bad as it was. They fixed some of the idle drain issues via software, although it is still noticeably worse.

I have no issues getting through the day on a regular S10, I usually get 5-6 hours screen on time depending on what I'm doing. I would assume that the S10+ would perform slightly better.

Caporegime
The only Google apps I use now are calendar and messages (purely for the web portal on desktop)

Everything else, Samsung's way is just better imo.

Soldato
Either way I think the suggestion that "bloat" is really even a thing now is silly. I use chrome, gmail/photos/spotify etc and I guess there are probably Samsung versions somewhere on here.. I never know about it, I never see them and they take up no space.

What's the issue?

Soldato
What's the issue?

It's the perception that a bloated phone is a slow phone, or one which will gradually slow down over time. My mam's old Galaxy S7 is noticeably juddery and (to my eyes) unpleasant to use. My sister's S8 isn't as bad, but it's getting there. I gave my mam an old iPhone 6s (upgraded to iOS 13) after she dropped the S7 and it's perfectly smooth. It probably won't play hardcore games very well, but otherwise it shows no sign of performance degradation.

As well as that, I don't want anything to do with Facebook (for example). I don't see why I should pay up to a thousand quid for a phone and have an app I don't want installed on that device that I can disable but can't delete.

Soldato
It's the perception that a bloated phone is a slow phone, or one which will gradually slow down over time. My mam's old Galaxy S7 is noticeably juddery and (to my eyes) unpleasant to use. My sister's S8 isn't as bad, but it's getting there. I gave my mam an old iPhone 6s (upgraded to iOS 13) after she dropped the S7 and it's perfectly smooth. It probably won't play hardcore games very well, but otherwise it shows no sign of performance degradation.

As well as that, I don't want anything to do with Facebook (for example). I don't see why I should pay up to a thousand quid for a phone and have an app I don't want installed on that device that I can disable but can't delete.

Well, the age thing is more than likely Android updates and app requirements outpacing the phone, it won't have anything to do with "bloat" that's not even running.

And the facebook point I take, but what if you spend the same or more on an iphone and not only want to get rid of a core app but also want to set something else as the default? At least with android you can control that and disable the stuff you don't like.

I dislike facebook as much as the next person.. I disable it.. then it's gone.

Incidentally, I get that iphones look perfectly smooth, having used my kids 6S I can tell you they look smooth because they're running so damn slowly. Lack of judder is not speed.

Soldato
Well, the age thing is more than likely Android updates and app requirements outpacing the phone.

These SoCs are meant to be as powerful as an average desktop PC these days. I have a five or six year old PC at home and it runs everything perfectly fine. The thought that it couldn’t handle a web browser smoothly seems totally daft. Yet the S7 can’t do it.

And the facebook point I take, but what if you spend the same or more on an iphone and not only want to get rid of a core app but also want to set something else as the default? At least with android you can control that and disable the stuff you don't like.

I wasn’t really meaning anything about Apple vs Android in general, but if you buy an Apple phone, you get Apple products and you know that when you buy it. When you buy most Androids, “your” device is shared with Samsung’s chosen partners, who you may not want to do business with.

Soldato
These SoCs are meant to be as powerful as an average desktop PC these days. I have a five or six year old PC at home and it runs everything perfectly fine. The thought that it couldn’t handle a web browser smoothly seems totally daft. Yet the S7 can’t do it.

I wasn’t really meaning anything about Apple vs Android in general, but if you buy an Apple phone, you get Apple products and you know that when you buy it. When you buy most Androids, “your” device is shared with Samsung’s chosen partners, who you may not want to do business with.

That point around the S7.. so you're saying the fact it's slow/juddery is something to do with Samsung having installed their own web browser and gallery on there?

I'm not suggesting it's not an issue, I'm saying conflating it with anything to do with preinstalled apps is silly.

Soldato
Is it the SOC or is it RAM? The S7 has 4gb yes? People would baulk at 4gb RAM now and rightly so. I wouldn't fancy using a phone with that little RAM on it now considering that apps can only get more resource hungry.

That point around the S7.. so you're saying the fact it's slow/juddery is something to do with Samsung having installed their own web browser and gallery on there?

I'm not suggesting it's not an issue, I'm saying conflating it with anything to do with preinstalled apps is silly.
I would say no. On the flipside the OnePlus phones come with chrome and that can't be uninstalled - I don't see people complaining about that? And I actually prefer the Samsung browser. I use it on my S10e and I installed it on my 7T Pro.

Soldato

I’m not necessarily saying that. However if you listen to Pixel fans they say those phones are snappy because they have no bloat (which doesn’t just mean a few preinstalled apps). And as much as fans of ‘pure’ Android might not want to admit it, what they crave is effectively what you get with an iPhone, which is an OS exactly as envisaged by its creators.

Soldato
Beta 3 is out. Seems to have fixed the bugs I've had (blurry homescreen, Twitter not loading) but experienced some new bugs last night

1) items disappearing from home screen and launcher which reappear on reboot and 2) auto brightness going crazy when I open a folder on the home screen. Didn't have either of them on the last version of the beta.

Otherwise so far so good

Soldato
I’m not necessarily saying that. However if you listen to Pixel fans they say those phones are snappy because they have no bloat (which doesn’t just mean a few preinstalled apps). And as much as fans of ‘pure’ Android might not want to admit it, what they crave is effectively what you get with an iPhone, which is an OS exactly as envisaged by its creators.

Yes and I'm quite sure much of that comes from the sense of superiority that you used to get with Nexus users. Just because you think it doesn't mean it's true.

i mean it's obvious that if you have an app installed but its not running then the worst it can do is take up storage space, not processor cycles.

People will do all sorts of silly things to justify their own purchases.

Incidentally it also has almost no cut through with the market too, google have about 4% market share.

Man of Honour
The S7 became slow and juddery because it (along with some other phones of the time) was being throttled: https://www.sammobile.com/2018/10/24/samsung-fined-slowing-down-phones-updates/

The S7 series was renowned for losing 25% battery capacity after a year or two of regular charging. Samsung even publicly stated this during the S8 announcement about how they used a new battery technology that prolonged cell degrade to just 5% degrade a year instead of the S7's 25%.

Back
Top Bottom