Associate
Just finished my new build with a P600s case, initial impressions are very good, love the magnetic doors and the various holes and gaps made cable management a breeze and left me with a nice clean build.

Soldato
Just finished my new build with a P600s case, initial impressions are very good, love the magnetic doors and the various holes and gaps made cable management a breeze and left me with a nice clean build.

Enjoy mate, I love mine!

Also pics please or it didn't happen.

Soldato
So the build is done and aside from a few things I messed up, it went OK.

Can you get a 420mm 60mm thick rad in the front? Yes, but you have to put it in first, then slide the fans in front of it. I also had to cut out the front mounting area because of the way it allows 120mm fans as well as 140's. I also had to make significant cuts on the roof again because a 280mm rad is impacted by the rails all0wing 120's.

Such a thick rad at the front means there is very little space between the back of the rad and your graphics cards so my plan to use a D5 mounted to the back of the rad bit the dust and I had to use my DDC/XSPC pump/reservoir.

The bottom PSU enclosure is literally part of the motherboard tray which means it cannot be removed at all without major surgery. While this provides a nice area to cover any cables it actually eats a lot of case space. I have two GPU's and the gap between the bottom GPU (even a water-cooled one so nice and skinny) and the PSU cover means forget trying to get your fingers into that space if you need to get to any of the connectors on the motherboard there.

So although it is "a big case", there's surprisingly little room inside. I'd argue the Define S I moved out of was easier to work in than this P600S although it couldn't have taken the UT60-420 that I've put in.

It does look wicked though :)

So the build is done and aside from a few things I messed up, it went OK.

Can you get a 420mm 60mm thick rad in the front? Yes, but you have to put it in first, then slide the fans in front of it. I also had to cut out the front mounting area because of the way it allows 120mm fans as well as 140's. I also had to make significant cuts on the roof again because a 280mm rad is impacted by the rails all0wing 120's.

Such a thick rad at the front means there is very little space between the back of the rad and your graphics cards so my plan to use a D5 mounted to the back of the rad bit the dust and I had to use my DDC/XSPC pump/reservoir.

The bottom PSU enclosure is literally part of the motherboard tray which means it cannot be removed at all without major surgery. While this provides a nice area to cover any cables it actually eats a lot of case space. I have two GPU's and the gap between the bottom GPU (even a water-cooled one so nice and skinny) and the PSU cover means forget trying to get your fingers into that space if you need to get to any of the connectors on the motherboard there.

So although it is "a big case", there's surprisingly little room inside. I'd argue the Define S I moved out of was easier to work in than this P600S although it couldn't have taken the UT60-420 that I've put in.

It does look wicked though :)

You sound like someone who wanted this case to fit your requirements no matter what and are bitching about it, why didnt you pick a case that fits your requirements instead?

Soldato
You sound like someone who wanted this case to fit your requirements no matter what and are bitching about it, why didnt you pick a case that fits your requirements instead?

How do you know until you buy the case? I'm not "bitching" by the way, I think that's unfair. I bought one, I used it, I said that what I bought it for could be done and made some observations about how. And if you look through the last few posts, I asked questions, said I was going to buy it and was explicitly asked to comment after. Which I have.

How do you know until you buy the case? I'm not "bitching" by the way, I think that's unfair. I bought one, I used it, I said that what I bought it for could be done and made some observations about how. And if you look through the last few posts, I asked questions, said I was going to buy it and was explicitly asked to comment after. Which I have.

You asked a bunch of us for dimensions which we provided while criticizing Phantechs for not providing them but are readily available on their website. You come across as someone not happy at all with the case but you bought it anyway, why not just get something else that fits your needs?

I know i come across as argumentative here but its an honest observation Mike :)

Soldato
You asked a bunch of us for dimensions which we provided while criticizing Phantechs for not providing them but are readily available on their website. You come across as someone not happy at all with the case but you bought it anyway, why not just get something else that fits your needs?

I know i come across as argumentative here but its an honest observation Mike :)

I am happy with the case though. I'm not clear why you think I'm not. I have got all I wanted inside apart from a ridiculously oversized pump, it looks great. My comments are also honest observations. Sorry if they come across so negatively. I'm just trying to help others.

Associate
I am happy with the case though. I'm not clear why you think I'm not. I have got all I wanted inside apart from a ridiculously oversized pump, it looks great. My comments are also honest observations. Sorry if they come across so negatively. I'm just trying to help others.

I think you clearly needed something bigger and if it was me i would have returned it and ordered a larger case
also remember this is classed as a "midi" tower

However, the great thing about PCs is that you can customise and modify to meet your needs and thats exactly what you did so cant be mad at that :D
and if nothing else, this information could help someone else decision

waiting for the pics now, im interested to see how it worked out

Enjoy the case mate, its easily the best ive worked with, love to see some pics of your build! :)

Soldato
Front

p600s-9.jpeg

Without the front

p600s-2.jpeg

Open Side showing 420mm UT60 at the front and Crossflow 280mm at the top

p600s-1.jpeg

Top showing how the openings have been made larger

p600s-12.jpeg

Close up of the connection between the two rads. Almost like I'd planned it!

p600s-4.jpeg

p600s-8.jpeg

http://www.miketimbers.com/images/computer/P600s/p600s-7.jpeg

Soldato
One slight oddity: if I have the motherboard's QFan Control set to PWM, the PWM fans attached to the Phanteks built-in fan controller pulse every few minutes up to a high percentage (impossible to monitor in Linux AFAIK). With the QFan set to DC, they stay at my preferred setting.

Associate
Front

p600s-9.jpeg

Without the front

p600s-2.jpeg

Open Side showing 420mm UT60 at the front and Crossflow 280mm at the top

p600s-1.jpeg

Top showing how the openings have been made larger

p600s-12.jpeg

Close up of the connection between the two rads. Almost like I'd planned it!

p600s-4.jpeg

p600s-8.jpeg

This is lovely. If I'm ever brave enough for open loop may want to do similar this is just awesome.

Thanks for sharing.

Associate
@MikeTimbers to be fair with the size of that radiator you squeezed in there, it hasnt turned out too bad

im not sure that you needed to cut out the top sections where the fans are though? it wouldnt have affected airflow enough to justify cutting it out imo

and those fittings at the top must have been really fiddly to get tightened :D

@snips86x that black shows the dust too much, glad i went with gunmetal :D
too much RGB for me but looks good!

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom