• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Soldato
Ive just installed my new Ryzen 3900 (aurus x570 motherboard).

Im absolutely new to AMD - my last being an opteron about 20 years ago.

I seem to be getting pretty low performance going by my cinebench score 5534).

Im guessing its to do with my memory timings - absolutely no idea what the problem is though.

Soldato
Have you installed latest CHipset drivers and latest 1.0.0.4 BIOS for that board?
Which powerplan are you using in windows?
Are you using Ryzen Master and not the BIOS to enable PBO etc?
What else.................Are you using an old installation of windows or have you got a fresh and fully updated version?

Soldato
You want this booger

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Ryzen Master is AMD's own software for monitoring and Overclocking. Many run Ryzen 3000 CPU's at stock. Ryzen 2's arent great OC'ers as AMD have done all the algorithms for you.

For the highest single core scores people have been disabling some cores and OC'ing (manually) the best 2 cores. And for those that want biggest all core scores are manually OC'ing also. But if you are a gamer and casual user then leave at Stock, enable PBO if you want (In Ryzen Master) or Auto overclocking and increase the core speeds (max allowed is 200Mhz) and then it's down to your board temps etc. See what you get. But a 3900X will rip through anything and a great gaming CPU at stock.

That chipset driver should sort thee oot.

Last edited:
Associate
Test performance again, then download and install the 1usmus power plan (think version 1.1 is latest) and switch the windows power plan to that as well as making the small BIOS settings changes. It does make a big difference.

Soldato
What ram are you using? is it C18 3600mhz? as that seems a bit slow.... Ryzen loves latency rather than pure mhz speed, so if you can dial it back to 3200 and C14 or something you'll probably see a decent uplift.

Like others said, download the 1usmus 1.1 power plan, make sure you set all the BIOS settings, go into Ryzen Master and set the plan to Default first and then test, this will turn off PBO and Auto OC, then you can try enabling them and compare against your stock settings.

Associate
I would deffo look at the RAM timing and see if you can tighten it to CL16 using Ryzen Master. Not sure what your memory is, if it's Samsung bdie you can try my settings, I get 7297 in CB20 with just my desktop loaded up and all apps running in background(discord, steam, R* etc) and think my 3900x is one of the weaker examples.

Soldato
Looking at your original screenshot with the XMP timings it certainly looks like RAM is a factor.

18-22-22-42 is pretty slack at only 3600.

For reference the RAM I ran with my 3900X was 3200@ 14-14-14-31. From memory I was able to run it at 3600 with the same timings although this might have been on my Intel setup.

See if you can run say CL16 (16-16-16-36) @ 3200 or even 3000 and see how the score reacts.

Soldato
i notice on core temp that my multiplier is showing at 99.75 rather than 100, but its set at 100 in the bios.

My all core boost when running cinebench is only hitting 4ghz, is that right?

Last edited:
Associate
i notice on core temp that my multiplier is showing at 99.75 rather than 100, but its set at 100 in the bios.

My all core boost when running cinebench is only hitting 4ghz, is that right?

Try enabling pbo,xfr in bios, should hold 4150+ MHz allcore ( cooling permitting )

Soldato
i just tried everything on auto in the bios and now all of a sudden im getting 7050 on cinebench 20.

Happy enough with that just now anyway! Thanks for all the help, will see how it goes with some games before pushing for more.

Soldato
i just tried everything on auto in the bios and now all of a sudden im getting 7050 on cinebench 20.

Happy enough with that just now anyway! Thanks for all the help, will see how it goes with some games before pushing for more.
That's a more normalised score. I would highly recommend using DRam Calculator and tightening up those rather loose memory timings.

Soldato
Its this stuff - https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/vengeance-rgb-pro-memory

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...md-ryzen-tuned-ddr4-memory-kit-my-4c1-cs.html

Ive done the power bits and still only getting 6454. Can you change the memory timings in ryzen master or you have to do in the bios? This is what im currently showing for memory.

With PBO off, correct RAM XMP settings (3600C16) and everything on auto you should be looking for 7100-7200 on CB20 cooler depending.
Make sure you have later bios installed, only XMP active for your ram, everything on auto, no Ryzen Master, latest chipset drivers before you run CB20 and tell us the score you get.

Back
Top Bottom