Analogue Mega Sg

Associate
I'm wondering the same thing, throw in the fact that I had a mega drive as a kid when I was completely unaware of the PAL vs NTSC thing.... so my game collection is all PAL, unless I'm going to replace the lot with NTSC carts then I might well be better off with a Mega Drive Mini and (hopefully) proper NTSC versions of the games than with decent FPGA hardware albeit running my childhood collection of crippled PAL games.
I ordered one.Mega Drive is my favourite console of all time so couldn't resist having "the best" system for those games.
regarding PAL and NTSC,I could be wrong but I think the Mega SG has settings which you can make it run PAL games at 60hz and NTSC ones at 50hz?
I will be using an EverdRive with it and keep my NTSC-J carts for collection only..the EverDrive is so convenient, specially the load/save option is a must have feature.

Caporegime
I ordered one.Mega Drive is my favourite console of all time so couldn't resist having "the best" system for those games.
regarding PAL and NTSC,I could be wrong but I think the Mega SG has settings which you can make it run PAL games at 60hz and NTSC ones at 50hz?
I will be using an EverdRive with it and keep my NTSC-J carts for collection only..the EverDrive is so convenient, specially the load/save option is a must have feature.

Would it remove the letter boxing too in that case? Like if it plays a PAL game at 60Hz will it also be essentially upscaling a 240p output instead of a 288p output?

Associate
Did all of you guys have to pay custom charges on top of the price too?

Been waiting for the Mega SG release, but it’s already very expensive with 50 USD shipping and the custom charge would make the cost just unfair.

makes me wonder if that FPGA aspect is really worth it in real life, as high quality clone consoles such as Hyperkin Mega Retron run games pretty much flawlessly and the upcoming Mega Drive Mini sounds very promising since it’s being done and tweaked by Sega Ages M2 team so high quality emulation is expected.

The Analogue Mega SG works out more expensive than a PS4..I wonder if this price is really justified for us UK buyers.

I had to in the end about 40

Associate
Hi there. First time post specifically for this issue. Just got an SG and I'm wondering about the power. Could I plug the USB lead into a USB plug adaptor, such as an iPhone plug, or a travel plug, and have this work? I just don't want to blow the thing. I have a 5V 1A iPhone plug handy, and a travel plug that has 250V 13A rating on it, so the US plug can go into this and then this plug into the mains.

I just want to play, but scared of blowing it....lol
Any phone/tablet USB plug charger will work.

Associate
Duty & tax invoice (£41.18) arrived a week after console.:mad::(

what a ripoff.specially £12 admin charges.going to dispute the admin charge part as it was never mentioned prior to ordering.

Soldato
I am, well when I have the time. I have a Super NT too and love them both. I've had no issues with running games, there's been a few firmware updates out also.

I was going to buy a Mega CD to connect to it, but I've decided there's little point now, especially since I picked up a Dreamcast.

If you've got a burning desire to play Sonic or Speedball 2 etc. I'd get one asap :D

Associate
Yep.....still using it on and off. Original hardware is packed up, so using the Mega SG exclusively. Added the MegaSD to it recently as well, giving my old (and extremely flaky) Mega CD a rest.

Soldato
Analogue have released a limited edition version of the Mega SG for anyone interested and hasn't already seen. Dark translucent shell, included 8bitdo controller and a cartridge with 11 music tracks on, $60 more than standard editions though. I'm slightly tempted as I don't have a Mega SG yet and the shell looks pretty cool IMO.

Only just learned about the Mega SD recently too, so I'm thinking about getting one as well.

Could be about to get expensive for me.

Soldato
@mcdermotx

Interested in any feedback on the mega Sd, I'm seriously thinking about it over a mega CD. Its not cheap, but would cost less in the long run. I'd also we worried about the old cd hardware packing up any day now.

Associate
@mcdermotx

Interested in any feedback on the mega Sd, I'm seriously thinking about it over a mega CD. Its not cheap, but would cost less in the long run. I'd also we worried about the old cd hardware packing up any day now.

I've got the Mega SD and so far I've only used it to play Earthworm Jim but I've got to say, it works perfectly. Mine doesn't have the rounded edges on the circuit board which some people have said might cause issues over time with the mega drives cartridge connector. BUT... I've put it in a mega drive that I'm not planning on removing it from so it's not issue for me. Arguably it works better tho if the mega drive has worn pins on the cartridge slot!

I have a cheapo everdrive for use in a 32x anyway and there's no 32x Sega CD games I plan on playing for the time being.

I know what you mean though Mega cds are going for 85 pound or more on ebay and if you get a lemon it might not last long. This costs about as much as 2 real ones but should last much longer, all being well.

Plus you can have every mega drive and Mega CD game on one device without having tons of discs or cartridges everywhere!

I'd say if you can afford it then get one. BUT the Mister has just received a Mega CD core too so the Mega SD isn't your only choice for playing games on alternate hardware, if you don't mind it not being a "real" console, sort of.

Soldato
Thanks for the info, I haven't read anything about the rounded circuit board, so I'm not sure how much of an issue this could be... I'd be using this with a mega SG, would this make a difference?

I'm aware of the Mister, but I think this temps me more... I know I'm moving away from original equipment, but I've done this with the Super NT and Mega SG already and I'm very happy with my decision.

Associate
Thanks for the info, I haven't read anything about the rounded circuit board, so I'm not sure how much of an issue this could be... I'd be using this with a mega SG, would this make a difference?

I'm aware of the Mister, but I think this temps me more... I know I'm moving away from original equipment, but I've done this with the Super NT and Mega SG already and I'm very happy with my decision.

It's discussed in this round table a little.

https://youtu.be/DoiPvB-AP-4?t=4888

The issue is the circuit board has little to no rounding on it so it could, in theory, cause the pins to become loose when using normal cartridges again. More than likely it reduces the amount of in out operations from 1 million to 750, 000 or something daft like that but we probably won't ever find out exactly!

I don't think it is an issue as long as you leave the cartridge in your system and even then, aren't removing it 5 times a day.

I definitely prefer to play on original hardware as much as possible but I too am tempted with a mega sg and super nt as well. I've got a MiSTer and I think the cores for mega drive and super nintendo are pretty good, but I'd still prefer an all in one system like those from analogue and using my OG cartridges or everdrive.

Associate
Although the more I think about it I'm now starting to realise it might be a non issue. The rounding of the board just helps to guide the cartridge in. Once it's in place then providing the circuit board itself isn't wider than a normal cartridge then the pins are being stretched apart the same distance as any normal cartridge. It's only the initial slotting in that's pushing the pins straight out rather then guiding them out gently.

It's not ideal that the mega sd doesn't have rounded edges but I would guess the circuit board size is the main one to worry about and as far as I know it is the same size. I have a. Micrometer around somewhere so could check it actually but gonna Google and see if someone has done it for me!

Soldato
Although the more I think about it I'm now starting to realise it might be a non issue. The rounding of the board just helps to guide the cartridge in. Once it's in place then providing the circuit board itself isn't wider than a normal cartridge then the pins are being stretched apart the same distance as any normal cartridge. It's only the initial slotting in that's pushing the pins straight out rather then guiding them out gently.

It's not ideal that the mega sd doesn't have rounded edges but I would guess the circuit board size is the main one to worry about and as far as I know it is the same size. I have a. Micrometer around somewhere so could check it actually but gonna Google and see if someone has done it for me!

You've put my mind at ease now, like you say, unless the thickness of the pcb is different, it shouldnt make any difference.

Btw def check out the Analogue kit, with HDMI outputs, scaling/scan line and other customisation options in the GUI, I think these are even better than the original equipment.

Associate
You've put my mind at ease now, like you say, unless the thickness of the pcb is different, it shouldnt make any difference.

Btw def check out the Analogue kit, with HDMI outputs, scaling/scan line and other customisation options in the GUI, I think these are even better than the original equipment.

I definitely want to get the analogue products at some point. They are ideal when the crt tvs I have fail or my consoles stop working.

I'm thinking the only real issue with the pcb not being chamfered or beveled, providing the pcb size is the same, is it could bend the pins on the cartridge slot. If its beveled it will gradually push the connectors away and fit on the cartridge pins.

If there's no bevel then it is pushing against the connectors and they're most likely going to push back, as normal, but in rare cases of if the cartridge is not going straight in correctly it could bend a pin.

I'm fairly sure it's not likely to happen but it's a possibility. I'm not too worried though in my case as it's going to live in a real mega drive until it fails and then move to another or maybe a mega sg by then.

In a well used console the pins are probably used to pushing back and are less likely to bend forward.

I think if I do get a mega sg then I'll use it on a normal cartridge first, a few times, then stick the mega sd in! Where it will live until one of them fails!

Associate
@mcdermotx

Apologies, only seeing this now, but Nemiyen covered everything perfectly.

Its definitely a nice little device, and a lovely companion for the likes of the Mega SG, but it's not cheap by any means (plus the customs charge of shipping in from Andorra), so it's how much you want to have a 'complete set' at your fingertips or play the CD titles.
My old Mega CD was through the ringer, already fixed up once before, so was hilariously unreliable reading discs, so this device is a bit of a godsend.

I too think the chamfered connector issue is a little bit overblown, but in truth, the Mega SD spends most of it's time in the slot, and even if I remove it, it's never a case of repeated inserts etc, so I don't consider it a major issue. Touch wood.

Downsides ?
I'm not a massive fan of the interface, in fact I kind of prefer the straight no-nonsense approach of the Mega EverDrives, but it's just personal preference. It's a big unit as well.

Back
Top Bottom