• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD vs Intel Single threading?

Soldato
No comment on the review slides then? My Zen 2 entry level CPU is faster than your high end Coffeelake, doesn't that sting even just a little?
:D Why on earth would it sting?
  • I have both Intel and AMD and love them both equally. ;)
  • Unlike SOME, I do not have a narrative to espouse in making one appear better than the other.

As I have both systems I do not need to look at slides or comparisons on Puget or any other site, I can do the tests myself for my exact usage which often is not replicated by Puget etc.

I know my conclusion for my usage does not fit in with what seems your particular narrative (hence the quick to conclude "no filters for 9700K" is something surreptitious) but there are a few who just want an unbiased view point based on empirical, real usage data.

Like I asked before, are there any other tests you want me to run? You never know, the 3900X might come out on top. ;)

Caporegime
:D Why on earth would it sting?
  • I have both Intel and AMD and love them both equally. ;)
  • Unlike SOME, I do not have a narrative to espouse in making one appear better than the other.

As I have both systems I do not need to look at slides or comparisons on Puget or any other site, I can do the tests myself for my exact usage which often is not replicated by Puget etc.

I know my conclusion for my usage does not fit in with what seems your particular narrative (hence the quick to conclude "no filters for 9700K" is something surreptitious) but there are a few who just want an unbiased view point based on empirical, real usage data.

Like I asked before, are there any other tests you want me to run? You never know, the 3900X might come out on top. ;)

I've owned all sorts of CPU's in my time, i5 and i7's of various types, Athlon and Phenom CPU's, i even had an FX9590 for a while, great heater but not much use in a Desktop, My last AMD GPU was an R9 290, which was a great GPU but really the last such thing from AMD.

Anyway, the only narrative is the raw data. You told me ST should not be extrapolated for IPC as its not accurate and distorts the narrative. IPC is how much work a CPU can do at a given clock speed, if CPU A is 100% at 4Ghz and CPU B has 90% the IPC of CPU A then CPU B needs to run at 4.4Ghz to do the same work as CPU A, this is why its important, yes if you run CPU B at 4.8Ghz then you get 110% the performance of CPU A, that doesn't make IPC any less relevant, TNA runs his 3600 at 4.4Ghz 24/7, its takes a 5Ghz 8700K just to match it, at twice the power consumption and twice the heat output, even ignoring the cost difference that distinction is not skewed and it 'alone' matters. Yes it makes one better than the other, my FX9590 beat i5's in MT workloads at 5Ghz, was it a better CPU?

You told me your main usage is photo editing, and then showed me a slide of image export comparisons when your 9700K was 2 Seconds faster in that.

To quote what i said in another thread.

You have to make a video before you export it, a 16 core will encode that video much faster than a 10 core, the fact that the 10 core will export or scratch through the video during the editing process just as well or as fast as the 16 core is neither here nor there really, unless you're just a hobbyist and your videos don't take more than 30 minutes to encode on an 8 core, in which case you wouldn't need a HEDT CPU. If however your time is money...... then you want the best encoding performance.

Another discussion where someone made the point that "Exporting" was just as quick on Intel as it was on Zen 2, you're using the same narrative... you have to do the work before you export it, in that Zen 2 is faster, if it takes you 25 minutes to render the image on Zen 2 vs 30 minutes on Intel then a 2-second difference (Or all things being equal, i suspect actually none) in exporting that image is completely irrelevant and to focus on such an argument instead of the actual performance difference during the workload you have to go through before you get to that stage is ridiculous and smacks of Ryan Shrout style distraction tactics.

Last edited:
Associate
They are overclockable in that you can fiddle with settings and run all core clocks higher than they might be as standard but they don't have the margin to clock all core at or beyond boost levels like Intel, after a bit of fun overclocking for benchmarking I left mine stock, just not worth the heat and volts, from what I have seen that case remains consistent for all Ryzen generations.

Caporegime
The 3700x have not been overclockable as such, nearly everyone would struggle to run them over their rated 4.4GHz.

I've not seen for example a 3.8GHz 3700X

Same goes for 3600 and 3900.

Agreed it is true that it depends on the chip, a lot of the low end ones are bottom of the barrel stuff, TNA got lucky with his, it clocks like a higher end Zen 2, mine doesn't.

Associate
They are overclockable in that you can fiddle with settings and run all core clocks higher than they might be as standard but they don't have the margin to clock all core at or beyond boost levels like Intel, after a bit of fun overclocking for benchmarking I left mine stock, just not worth the heat and volts, from what I have seen that case remains consistent for all Ryzen generations.

this. Not needed cos it boost just fine. Tho, i oc'ed my R5 1600, normal boost is 3.6GHz, to 3.9GHz. My R5 3600, tho, runs cooler at an all-core oc of 4.2GHz.

Caporegime
Mine hits 4.125Ghz and then just stops, its a hard wall, it clocks to 4.125Ghz all core no matter how light or heavy the workload.

it feels like the Motherboard in imposing a hard limit on the CPU.

1003 ABB

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Does the fixed bios allow them to go higher as well?
With good cooling yes.

My 3960x boosts to 4.6ghz - 100mhz over stock.

In terms of all core oc'ing, no - my all core OC remains at 4.3ghz, up from 3.8ghz stock - not a bad 500mhz OC.

Last edited by a moderator:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well most 3700X users can't even get 4.4GHz out of a single core.

I can get 4.3GHz all core maximum.

But exceed 4.4GHz? Impossible it seems.
Mine can. 4.4GHz all core is easy. 4.5GHz all core is doable also but requires a lot more voltage. This is for 24/7 usage by the way, not just for benchmarking.

Associate
With good cooling yes.

My 3960x boosts to 4.6ghz - 100mhz over stock.

In terms of all core oc'ing, no - my all core OC remains at 4.3ghz, up from 3.8ghz stock - not a bad 500mhz OC.

Can you independently clock the core complexes on tr3, from images on the web it looked like you have the option but I haven't seen any reviews do it so it might just be Ryzen Master looking better than it is as it does on mine, loads of sliders but all locked together, would be quite handy to have more granular control.

Back
Top Bottom