• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD vs Intel Single threading?

Soldato
I have, I did, and now I'm seeking clarification. 9700K's 800MHz advantage - at the expense of Christ knows how much power - saves you 2 seconds on an image export. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Pretty bad considering the power and temps. In addition to the 3900X has 12 cores / 24 threads running cooler and more economically :D

Soldato
Is this the only area intel fans are grasping at? Officially an one trick pony.

Thats my 3900X. All settings at default except the generic settings needed for 1usmus powerplan to work, on air with a Noctua D15 and the 5y old 3600C16 ram at XMP. To beat it a 9000 series Intel CPU needs to overclock at 5.2 Ghz, whole top recorded speed below is 4.6Ghz on the core that was running the benchmark.

wo4Fc9y.png

Soldato
I have, I did, and now I'm seeking clarification. 9700K's 800MHz advantage - at the expense of Christ knows how much power - saves you 2 seconds on an image export. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Look my post above, my 3900X has even PBO forcibly set to OFF and just the settings needed for 1usmus powerplan to work.
Which for the X570 Taichi are found here

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33133217/

Soldato
Look my post above, my 3900X has even PBO forcibly set to OFF and just the settings needed for 1usmus powerplan to work.
Which for the X570 Taichi are found here

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33133217/

Ah right, Nice one. I went for the 1Usmus powerplan then didn't bother as like you found some of the settings were not available (I'm on Phantom gaming 4)so I didn't bother. So I think I'll try the settings same in my BIOS for my 3800X. I know the powerplan is predominantly for 3900X but worth a try. So just to clarify - you see better performance on the 1usmus powerplan?

Soldato
Ah right, Nice one. I went for the 1Usmus powerplan tehn didnt bother as like you some of the settings were not available (I'm on Phantom gaming 4) So I will try the settings same in my BIOS for my 3800X. I know the powerplan is predominantly for 3900X but worth a try. So just to clarify - you see better performance on the 1usmus powerplan?

The v1.1 of the powerplan works also for older 2000 & 1000 Ryzen CPUs i believe.
For 3000 series need to pick the universal one and should work perfectly on 3800X. I won't be surprised if you can hit higher single thread performance than the 3900X.

I believe Phantom Gaming 4 has same bios UI as the Taichi, so check my post which linked before were to find the settings you need.
Asrock boards have PPC & Cool'n'Quiet on by default and isn't exposed. Make sure you have the latest Asrock bios, because I saw improvements with the 2.70 over the 2.50
And make sure you set all settings by hand and not load from previous bios save, as Asrock has changed many things on the latest bios.

Soldato
I've seen a 3900X score higher than that at stock in Cine20.
This same CPU scored 528 in a different motherboard which would only boost to 4575Mhz but in this one that normally boosts to 4625Mhz it scored sightly less, which was not what I expected. On the plus side this motherboard scores 200 points higher in multicore at stock, which is higher than most I've seen. As this is mainly used for multicore work I'm happy with that.

49207338623_9b23cbe17d_c.jpg

When I was assessing which system I wanted to use for my photo editing, I just wanted to get the fastest one, be that just 10% faster, it didn't really matter, I just wanted to get the fastest for my usage within reason.

I couldn't really find any reviews on Puget etc that fitted my particularly workflow or with the systems that I would likely be running. I even had chats and help from @CAT-THE-FIFTH so thanks to him for his assistance.

I decided to get both systems so I could test for myself exactly which one would be the fastest. My 9700K uses ~147w at full load and the Ryzen 3900X ~142w so power usage wasn't really a concern. Though the 3900X is brilliantly efficient.

It turned out that the 9700K is ~12% faster at 5.2Ghz and at 5.3Ghz 18% faster, though at 5.3Ghz the VRM's on this Z370 are begging for mercy so I've got a Z390 board to drop in.

When you're getting through 1000's of photo every percentage or second is a help in the right direction.

Soldato
Pretty bad considering the power and temps. In addition to the 3900X has 12 cores / 24 threads running cooler and more economically :D
My 3900X runs slightly warmer than my overclocked 9700K when I tested them with the same cooler.
The 3900X is definitely more efficient and AMD had done a brilliant job in this regard.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

FYI der8auer on today's review about 3960X had CB20 run, including 9900KS, 9900KS @ 5.2 and 9900K.
Which shows that clocks mean nothing today when out of the box 3900X as fast in single thread at the 9900KS and the 9900K.
And takes overclocking 9900KS to 5.2Ghz to get ahead, but that requires serious cooling that no AIO let alone (air) heatsink can provide.

from this video...

Whay are his CB scores so low? You'd think he'd be able to chalk up a bit more being an experienced overclocker.

Associate
There's a whole thread of cinebench scores here where people detail their configurations so I'm not sure why we need to reference reviews with limited setup information:

From the R20 thread here:
9, Score 547: Intel Core i7 8700K at 5.2Ghz, Radox-0
10, Score 544: AMD Ryzen R5 3600 at 4.675Ghz, TNA

I'll give both guys the credit that they know what they're doing. To get parity you need CFL at 5.2ghz and Ryzen at 4.7ghz. Due to the length of R20 single score test, I find it more valuable than CPU-Z which is over in a flash by comparison.

Core count being, the Intel chips also don't drop their clocks if oc'd where as will find it difficult to run 4.7ghz all core under all workloads.

Soldato
Yep, his speeds are pretty low and doesn't need to overclock the Ryzen. Just use proper powerplan but well.
Yes, his 3900x single thread is a little low though in my B450 Tomahawk I used to score 483 so I'm not sure what motherboard he's using. His multi threaded score is around normal for stock but using the 1usmus power plan that you kindly posted up then that's where I saw the biggest improvement in multithreaded.

His 9900k 5.2Ghz overclock seems very low at 513 as I would have expected it to be around the same as my 9700K (542+) @5.2Ghz. Maybe mine is a Russian 9700K. ;)

Associate
Yes, his 3900x single thread is a little low though in my B450 Tomahawk I used to score 483 so I'm not sure what motherboard he's using. His multi threaded score is around normal for stock but using the 1usmus power plan that you kindly posted up then that's where I saw the biggest improvement in multithreaded.

His 9900k 5.2Ghz overclock seems very low at 513 as I would have expected it to be around the same as my 9700K (542+) @5.2Ghz. Maybe mine is a Russian 9700K. ;)

His 9900k score is well outside of the error margin and too low. I daily mine at 5.2ghz and he's hundreds of points off.

Caporegime

Actually doing the work, rendering the image Zen 2 is clearly faster. but he can save 2 seconds exporting that work which is entirely dependent on IO throughput, IE the speed of his hard drive, his memory...

So he can shave minutes off his workflow with a Zen 2 CPU but for some strange reason has gone Intel and is now not only trying to justify it but still trying to say Intel is faster pinning that entire argument on exporting the work, this is how ridiculous the Intel vs AMD argument has now got.

My 3600 does a better job in Lightroom than his 9700K. Stock vs stock the 3600 scores 10% higher. Its slightly faster than a 9900K!

The highest ST R20 Ryzen score is 547, this is at 4.7Ghz, the highest Coffeelake score is 580, this is at 5.45Ghz, a score difference of 6% with a clock speed difference of 16%, so yes if you can get past the IPC difference between Zen 2 and Coffeelake then you can beat Zen 2 score, but that IPC difference is very obviously there, if you cannot see that you don't know what IPC is.

On your Lightroom result. I don't use it so i have to concede that to you, i do think its strange that you don't show the filters used for the 9700K.

However, i can use google and the first review i came across has Zen 2 winning.

H1JFKoB.jpg.png

SmXu8d0.jpg.png

jtWvmYl.jpg.png

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...adripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1592/

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually doing the work, rendering the image Zen 2 is clearly faster. but he can save 2 seconds exporting that work which is entirely dependent on IO throughput, IE the speed of his hard drive, his memory...

So he can shave minutes off his workflow with a Zen 2 CPU but for some strange reason has gone Intel and is now not only trying to justify it but still trying to say Intel is faster pinning that entire argument on exporting the work, this is how ridiculous the Intel vs AMD argument has now got.

My 3600 does a better job in Lightroom than his 9700K.
Unforunately where it concerns Photo editing you do not have an inkling of what you are talking about. This is the best thing you have said on the subject...

On your Lightroom result. I don't use it so i have to concede that to you....

All it appears you can do is post up Puget charts which have no bearing whatsoever to my workflow and then start talking about unrelated things like 'render' and the speed of memory and hard drive. This demonstrates how you seem to have totally lost the plot.

Just for reference the systems are using the exact same SSD and the the 9700k was using memory at a lowly 2666Mhz!

My 3600 does a better job in Lightroom than his 9700K....!
If this doesn't encapsulate how nonsensical your comprehension is then nothing will.
  • I've written repeatedly I'm not using Lightroom in this test, I'm using DXO Photolab!

You admitted you have no clue as to how DXO Photolab or Lightroom works apart from what you can see on charts but instead of asking for clarification you attempt to break the point down to your own pro Ryzen narrative. Spewing out charts in some pseudo defence of something that is not even related to my point.

If you really think that your 3600 is faster than my 9700k in photo editing please, please, PLEASE download the free trial of DXOPhotolab and I'll send you my preset and you can then run it on the same photo and we'll see what it scores. Come on, put your money where your mouth is.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

If you really think that your 3600 is faster than my 9700k in photo editing please, please, PLEASE download the free trial of DXOPhotolab and I'll send you my preset and you can then run it on the same photo and we'll see what it scores. Come on, put your money where your mouth is.

I'm interested to see how mine compares against a 9700k - plse send me the details - already have DXO installed.

Caporegime
Unforunately where it concerns Photo editing you do not have an inkling of what you are talking about. This is the best thing you have said on the subject...

All it appears you can do is post up Puget charts which have no bearing whatsoever to my workflow and then start talking about unrelated things like 'render' and the speed of memory and hard drive. This demonstrates how you've seem to have totally lost the plot.

Just for reference the systems are using the exact same SSD and the the 9700k was using memory at a lowly 2666Mhz!

If this doesn't encapsulate how nonsensical your comprehension is then nothing will.
  • I've written repeatedly I'm not using Lightroom in this test, I'm using DXO Photolab!

You admitted you have no clue as to how DXO Photolab or Lightroom works apart from what you can see on charts but instead of asking for clarification you attempt to break the point down to your own pro Ryzen narrative. Spewing out charts in some pseudo defence of something that is not even related to my point.

Ok granted but you're exporting to Lightroom, this is what you said, no? So clearly you do use Lightroom, whatever the reason for the 2 second difference once you're in Lightroom a Zen 2 CPU will give you a faster workflow.

I might look at DXOPhotolab, i don't like banding my Email account around for it to get spammed.

Back
Top Bottom