****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Soldato
Watched it last night, it was better than TLJ, so slightly better garbage but still garbage

With such a vast universe and so much lore they could have written something amazing in this final trilogy instead they just offered cliched fan service, cardboard characters nobody really gives a **** about and basically undid what the original trilogy built up, say what you want about the prequels but at least they added to the story and lore of the Star Wars universe and are actually watchable in the fan edit versions, this new trilogy is like someone wrote a story, decided to eat it and it was so bad they vomited it back up and then tried to piece it together and went with "close enough"

Soldato
I had no intention of going after suffering episode 8, but the wife goes to every Star Wars movie with her old man and she booked me a ticket without checking. We didn’t mention the film after we came out to not dump all over it in front of her Dad but Jesus it was bad. It was just so dumb. So dumb. Episode 8 was a much better movie. I disliked that movie mainly due to how Luke was handled, which was more an emotional response from me, not an objective one. But episode 9....... I’m not sure I enjoyed a single scene. Suspension of disbelief goes only so far. Absolute trash. Rogue One was great, Solo was OK, episode 7 could have worked as a proper send off for the old guard. But 8 threw the trilogy into a tailspin and the plot of 9 made zero sense and couldn’t shed the baggage of the original trilogy. The Leia scenes in particular were awful. And Han Solo appearing in a hallucination? Really?? Eurgh.

Went in with low expectations. It didn’t even meet them.

Soldato
2 things I liked about this film;

The little wayhey! guy and the ruined Death Star set piece, which I thought was pretty damn epic (probably because I felt it could have been a level in some Star Wars game).

Associate
Saw this last night, had been putting it off but daughter was keen to go. Been a huge fan all my life but had the love of the franchise kicked out of me with the prequels and then everything after force awakens. Thought it was ok, mainly because it was an achievment to create something watchable after TLJ, I struggled to see how Abrams or anyone else could conclude the trilogy after TLJ seemed to be so conclusive. 6/10

Soldato
Can someone explain what was going on with the Ewoks watching those star destroyers seemingly just shut down at the end?

anyway, everyone knows there would have been a Holocaust on Endor when the Death Star exploded.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Can someone explain what was going on with the Ewoks watching those star destroyers seemingly just shut down at the end?

I was wondering about that as well, from what I remember when the resistance fleet wins the falling star destroyers magically materialise across galaxy, or something, there was a shot of dreadnaught falling from the skies above Cloud City on Bespin, another one materialised as a shadow and meteorite storm above Endor and a burning star destroyer dived down on Jakku. I'm not sure what it meant to imply - a magical space continuum displacement - force portals sucking those destroyed ships to random places across galaxy? Who knows. I that point I no longer cared.

Associate
i took it that with the destruction of the final order and the emperor, hope was restored and the largely press ganged crews mutiny, leading to the ships being destroyed

Soldato
This is probably a stupid question but at the end where she buries the two lightsabres (Luke's and Leia's, right?), She then magically had a third one. Where's that come from? :confused:

Caporegime
This is probably a stupid question but at the end where she buries the two lightsabres (Luke's and Leia's, right?), She then magically had a third one. Where's that come from? :confused:

Luke had two didn't he. The blue and the green. I guess his green is buried with Leia's and she keeps the blue. Edit I just remembered she had her own yellow blade so I guess she made her own at the end or just altered one of Luke's. Like Vader said once you can make your own saber your training is complete.

Soldato
Saw it today and I still have mixed feelings. Every scene with Lando in felt like the old trilogy and to me were the best bits of the film. One of the first cuts was meant to be over 3 hrs long and in the theatre release the cuts seemed evident as some scenes in the same location seemed to jump and not flow. I reckon these are what you will see in the deleted scenes, eg Rey creating her light sabre, the big fleet battle with suddenly half the rebel ships gone (you saw why but not it actually happening fully). The Star Destroyers being destroyed to me were representations of the galaxy uprising in that everywhere people took up arms and somehow destroyed them. For some reason it reminded me of the ROTJ scenes at the end where celebrations are seen on various worlds but in Rise it just seemed odd. I didnt even mind the horsey bit on the Star Destroyer it made sense why they did it after what the Imperial Officer says. The reason for the C3PO "wipe" you could see coming a mile off. Characters were just there to drive the plot forward and not fleshed out. 2D as people say.
I have read people say a second viewing makes it better, probably as so much goes by you so fast you cant take it all in.

3/5 for me.

Soldato
I was wondering about that as well, from what I remember when the resistance fleet wins the falling star destroyers magically materialise across galaxy, or something, there was a shot of dreadnaught falling from the skies above Cloud City on Bespin, another one materialised as a shadow and meteorite storm above Endor and a burning star destroyer dived down on Jakku. I'm not sure what it meant to imply - a magical space continuum displacement - force portals sucking those destroyed ships to random places across galaxy? Who knows. I that point I no longer cared.

i took it that with the destruction of the final order and the emperor, hope was restored and the largely press ganged crews mutiny, leading to the ships being destroyed

So it’s anything we want it to be...just like what Finn was going to say!

Associate
Close-up of an image I found of the Lightsabre -Not sure what the yellow blade signify's TBH either.

Although no longer considered canon - thanks Disney - KotOR explained the blade colours as follows:

Blue - Jedi Guardian, focuses on lightsaber combat
Green - Jedi Consular, focuses on force usage
Yellow - Jedi Sentinel, mixture of saber and force usage. Probably fair for Rey, but you could argue the same for Luke who made his own green saber.
Red - Sith

Mace Windu had a purple saber simply because Samuel L. Jackson wanted to visually distinguish his character.

Probably no longer relevant to RoS though....

Back
Top Bottom