What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Deep (1977)

A pair of vacationers are involved in a dangerous conflict with treasure hunters when they discover a way into a deadly wreck in Bermuda waters. Nick Nolte, Robert Shaw and Jacqueline Bisset.

Soldato
Brittany Runs A Marathon. A lovely little uplifting comedy drama based on a true story/book about an aimless, overweight, party-animal woman in her late twenties who takes up running and ends up finally taking control of her life, and the realisation that she's worthy of the life she wants and the love of others. A terrific performance by Jillian Bell as a woman finding her feet in life through an unexpected route.

Missed the first 20 minutes as walked in while the wife was watching it. Found it decent enough.

Watched The Informer last night, well worth a watch.

Soldato
Watched a few films over the past few days

The Boy Who Would Be King - nothing special
Angel Has Fallen - Enjoyable enough action
Ford vs Ferrari - Loved it
ZombieLand Double Tap - Entertaining watch

And then during Christmas itself I re-watched Its a Wonderful Life - What an amazing film even after all this time - and it still makes me well up :)

Man of Honour
Cliffhanger (the 90s Stallone vehicle)

A real mixed bag this one but mostly fun. The most notable thing about it is the ‘civilian deaths’ - these are absolutely brutal! Jesus! :eek: The famous opening is particularly horrible and somehow it seems far more shocking now that it was when I first saw it. Would they make a death scene like that now in a modern commercial action film? Blergh far too ‘real’ with all the close up looks of terror.

There is perhaps also one of the most excellent deaths in any film ever :D

When Stallone overhead presses the dude up into a giant spike - awesome!!! :D

Otherwise, as I said, plenty of fun. John Lithgow’s character is delightfully cheesy and ridiculously evil, almost like a Mel Gibson ‘British bad guy’. Stallone is likeable. Forgot it had a decent plane scene too.

The films suffers by being ‘weirdly edited’. When the villains meet Stallone suddenly it all seems to speed up to 1000mph and many scenes and stunts seem strung together like they had ‘lots of footage’ and jumbled the story together afterwards. So after starting really strong it slightly outstays it’s welcome, unfortunately.

7/10

Caporegime
Rise of Skywalker

Not really sure what to give this one. There's a lot to like and a lot of misses. It certainly isn't close to being as good as The Last Jedi but it does deliver a reasonable end to the arc of the nine movies and there's plenty of spectacle. I still can't believe they launched a series of three movies without substantially plotting them out in advance and that flaw, as well as the sad loss of Carrie Fischer, runs through everything.

Maybe 7.5/10? I need to see it again to judge properly I think.

Soldato
Rise of Skywalker

Not really sure what to give this one. There's a lot to like and a lot of misses. It certainly isn't close to being as good as The Last Jedi but it does deliver a reasonable end to the arc of the nine movies and there's plenty of spectacle. I still can't believe they launched a series of three movies without substantially plotting them out in advance and that flaw, as well as the sad loss of Carrie Fischer, runs through everything.

Maybe 7.5/10? I need to see it again to judge properly I think.

Not close to being as good as the last jedi? Well that's pretty damning right there.

Associate
Jojo Rabbit (2019) - 7/10

Although the subject matter won’t be to everyone’s taste, this coming of age drama with humourous moments gives a realistic and bleak depiction of both the fanaticism and anti-hate ideas in Germany during the end of World War II.

It’s very smart about what it achieves, but I would have liked to see more humour and outlandishness as it is a bit slow in parts.

Great acting from Jojo as the lead and strong performances from the rest of the cast, and good use of music too.

Associate
Apollo 13. Really enjoyed it .

Kind of puts it all into perspective really.

Mankind vs adversity. Just like. Sort it out.

Magnificent achievement.

And it made me cry. A bit.

Back
Top Bottom