What film did you watch last night?

once upon a time in hollywood... Tarantino films are starting to feel like they are becoming 'too Tarantino', was watchable, sometimes enjoyable and certainly had its charm in places, 7/10.

Once upon a time in Hollywood. 9/10 from me.
One word, 'brilliant'. The critics were right, Leonardo and Brad are basically Redford and Newman and Tarantino could have quite easily slotted those two if they were 50 years younger (& alive!). It is by far the coolest film Tarantino has made and comes close to kicking Pulp Fiction off the top of his list.

Once upon a time in Hollywood. 9/10 from me.
One word, 'brilliant'. The critics were right, Leonardo and Brad are basically Redford and Newman and Tarantino could have quite easily slotted those two if they were 50 years younger (& alive!). It is by far the coolest film Tarantino has made and comes close to kicking Pulp Fiction off the top of his list.
I completely agree with everything you have said. As I was watching it the Newman and Redford pairing also came to mind. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The casting was fantastic, even among the smaller characters.

I haven't yet got around to watching Joker or Le Mans 66, but Holywood was the surprise movie of the year for me.

A couple of nights ago I watched a South Korean film, The Villainess - It piqued my interest as I do like my foreign films. I thought it was going to be a Nikita/Assassin style film. Well... The basic premise is kind of similar, only the producers turned the kill count to ludricous levels! The opening sequence is a first person view of lots of killing; not sure if this is to appeal to the FPS generation... The gore/violence is comical.

So as a refresher I watched Assassin, Point of No Return (1993) as its been 20 years; and to this day, remains a good US remake of the original (Nikita) although I like both versions. Nikita is the better film as its far more gritty, but still, the US version with Bridget Fonda isn't too shabby. Still think its unusual for a popular actress (Fonda) to quit at the height of her career, a shame as she is a good actress.

Brittany Runs A Marathon. A lovely little uplifting comedy drama based on a true story/book about an aimless, overweight, party-animal woman in her late twenties who takes up running and ends up finally taking control of her life, and the realisation that she's worthy of the life she wants and the love of others. A terrific performance by Jillian Bell as a woman finding her feet in life through an unexpected route.

Still think its unusual for a popular actress (Fonda) to quit at the height of her career, a shame as she is a good actress.

She had a near death experience (car crash) and ended up getting engaged a couple of months later, and then getting married and having a child. She obviously re-evaluated what was important in her life, and decided it wasn't Hollywood.

She had a near death experience (car crash) and ended up getting engaged a couple of months later, and then getting married and having a child. She obviously re-evaluated what was important in her life, and decided it wasn't Hollywood.

Ahh, thanks SteamPunk, I never knew - very understandable.

Mission Impossible Fallout. 7/10. Quite entertaining though completely ridiculous. Very impressed though that Cruise did the really dangerous stunts himself, not to mention he's 56.

Also, it's crazy how similar looking Henry Cavill is to Steve Jones the F1 presenter.

Finding Dory - I saw this when it came out at the cinema originally and haven't seen it since. At the time I thought it was visually stunning but found the story a bit....meh! This time around, I enjoyed it much much more. Not sure why...but it had me almost in tears at times. Great film, a decent sequel to one of my favourite Pixar movies.

Mission Impossible: Fallout - Not seen an MI movie for a long time. I have such fond memories of the first & second. I've seen the third and one called Ghost Protocol (I think) but I genuinely don't know if there are any others, therefore not sure if I have seen any others. But anyway! Really enjoyed this one...the action was great, pacing was decent. TC was his usual action man self which just suits him so well. Nice to see Henry Cavil play a bad guy! He played it well.

The Deep (1977)

A pair of vacationers are involved in a dangerous conflict with treasure hunters when they discover a way into a deadly wreck in Bermuda waters. Nick Nolte, Robert Shaw and Jacqueline Bisset.

Back
Top Bottom