LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Associate
Bite and never let go. It is concidered a bargain at £1250.

Can you share some of your bargaining tips, i can hunt down a bargain but never was a good haggler :p

Currently the 55 C9 is available from many decent online retailers for £1249, I first called one retailer, they offered £50 off, called the second and they offered £100 off, so that's where I am now, its a decent seller, the warranty is insurance based, which is OK I guess, you do get a proper 5 year policy in the POST, buying on CC too for added protection. I could try get RS to price match, but its not a website/code offer, its a "buy today over the phone" verbal offer, but I did get the sales agents name etc etc.

Associate
Currently the 55 C9 is available from many decent online retailers for £1249, I first called one retailer, they offered £50 off, called the second and they offered £100 off, so that's where I am now, its a decent seller, the warranty is insurance based, which is OK I guess, you do get a proper 5 year policy in the POST, buying on CC too for added protection. I could try get RS to price match, but its not a website/code offer, its a "buy today over the phone" verbal offer, but I did get the sales agents name etc etc.
Thats a great deal, RS would struggle to match that or any retail if its a verbal thing as usually they want actual stock that they can search themselfs. As long as you have proper warranty then thats a bargain.

Soldato
OP
Quick question regarding using the LG OLED C9 55 inch as a PC gaming monitor. I do nothing on my PC except for game and a little web browsing/youtube watching. Besides that I would use it for Netflix/Prime/Sky GO etc etc. I can only sit back around 2.5-3 feet from the screen, I do like a big image, but wary of it being TOO big...?

I am then wondering, I am getting a new GPU this week, with the OLED being "G Sync compatible", would this be preferred to using an AMD gpu with freesync?, does one perform better than the other? (not talking about proper g sync here).

With the recent news about new LG OLED in 2020 and reduced sizes, is this all the changes taking place?, will I missing anything going for a 2019 OLED, quality, features?, what about prices, is now a good time, do we think prices will drop further, or perhaps go up?.

I hope someone or many, with good insight and opinion could wade in and help me make sense of all this and help me make my mind up :)

Cheers and happy new year all.

If its too big, just set a custom resolution to make it smaller. You'll have black bars on the top and bottom but they are JET black and just look like bezels.

Prices will go down on the 2019 OLEDs and hit the bottom around February to April time. This happens EVERY year as TVs get released every year.

If you prefer a smaller screen, go for the 48'' but I think a 55'' B9 is just tremendous value which will NOT be beaten £ for £ as an OLED screen until March 2021.

This year might be a bit more riskier as the hype surrounding the B/C9 with Gsync and the lack of any true hardware-level upgrades on the C10 series means they might sell out sooner rather than later.

77 inch model still needs a HEALTH price cut so I wouldn't buy that one yet.
Give or take £100-300 I can't see the 55/65 inch models getting THAT much lower, but they will definitely go lower.

I'd grab a 55'' B9/C9 in a heartbeat TBH if using it as a monitor and just enjoy it but if u want to get the best possible price on the TV.. as with anything tech related.. wait.

My personal opinion is with these 55'' screens, just wallmount them and have ur desk completely clear and clean.

Associate
Just got off the phone with RS, my local branch offered to match the price and beat it by £20 with their 6 year warranty for a all in price of £1129 :O

Got them to email me the quote too, valid for 7 days.

Caporegime
If its too big, just set a custom resolution to make it smaller. You'll have black bars on the top and bottom but they are JET black and just look like bezels.

Prices will go down on the 2019 OLEDs and hit the bottom around February to April time. This happens EVERY year as TVs get released every year.

If you prefer a smaller screen, go for the 48'' but I think a 55'' B9 is just tremendous value which will NOT be beaten £ for £ as an OLED screen until March 2021.

This year might be a bit more riskier as the hype surrounding the B/C9 with Gsync and the lack of any true hardware-level upgrades on the C10 series means they might sell out sooner rather than later.

77 inch model still needs a HEALTH price cut so I wouldn't buy that one yet.
Give or take £100-300 I can't see the 55/65 inch models getting THAT much lower, but they will definitely go lower.

I'd grab a 55'' B9/C9 in a heartbeat TBH if using it as a monitor and just enjoy it but if u want to get the best possible price on the TV.. as with anything tech related.. wait.

My personal opinion is with these 55'' screens, just wallmount them and have ur desk completely clear and clean.

Sony have said their 48" OLED will be the cheapest OLED TV ever...........so fingers crossed its sub £1000..

Associate
Sony have said their 48" OLED will be the cheapest OLED TV ever...........so fingers crossed its sub £1000..

Remember, there is always launch pricing and then pricing down the line, so if you intend on waiting a full year, then sure you might get pricing you want, but certainly not this half of 2020. This is partly why I think i'll take up the 55 C9 offer, I do not see it getting much cheaper, and 2020 models do not offer much more, there comes a time when you have to bite the bullet and make a purchase, I am closing in on 40 in a few years, my eyes are not as good as when I was 15-20, I do not wanna wait, live in the now and enjoy life I say :)

Soldato
Depending on price I might be tempted to get the 48" CX and not spend money on the LG 38GL950G. 4K 120Hz with top picture quality just ticks all my boxes. @aoaaron 's post about strategies to avoid burn-in was pretty much the biggest turn off for an OLED because i'd be using it as a PC monitor with tons of static elements (word docs/excel spreadsheets/browser windows). Having to use a black desktop background is just tragic imo, I swear half of the fun of having a top of the line IPS is being wow'd every time you look at the colours on your desktop wallpaper.

I think these OLEDs are truly the ideal solution if you have space for a setup with an IPS productivity monitor, and the OLED which you only turn on for gaming/movies/TV. If you want just the one panel on your desk, it's quite a tough decision, esp if space is limited. That said, it comes down to price at the end of the day. The argument for spending £1000 on a CX OLED and then binning it in 2 years when you get burn in and getting a new one is only a convincing one due to the ridiculous prices of top IPS monitors (ie 38GL950G for £1.7k). The fact that nobody has come out and announced a 38" 4K 120+Hz IPS for <£1.5k this year is a disagrace.

I'm using a folder full of OLED friendly pics and changed the swap time to 10 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom