• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs. Nvidia Image Quality - Old man yells at cloud

Man of Honour
Question, I will be in a position to test the lols of this thread, with a new 5700 that will be going in my Desktop, as well as my existing Alienware with a 1060 mobile.

Theoretically (in the spirit of this thread), if I use the same output and cable to my monitor, same in game settings, and do a print-screen from each machine, should they result in different quality images that can be compared in raw png/whatever format?

Basically exactly what I have been setting out doing. It takes quite a bit more time than I thought. :) I have written the post installed all the games etc etc. Just need to finish the job. Im testing @ 4k and at 1440 to external monitors as well as on the built in 4k IPS panels in the machines. It's a ball ache for sure and is time consuming even copying data to machines is like 100gb per 3 games :(

I tried to even the playing field somewhat and have left the desktop cards out of my testing but could conceivably add in a Radon 7 and 2080.

For my setup I have Jerry Rigged a clamp for a camera that doesn't move and am filming the monitors rather than screenshots.

Man of Honour
Question, I will be in a position to test the lols of this thread, with a new 5700 that will be going in my Desktop, as well as my existing Alienware with a 1060 mobile.

Theoretically (in the spirit of this thread), if I use the same output and cable to my monitor, same in game settings, and do a print-screen from each machine, should they result in different quality images that can be compared in raw png/whatever format?

Printscreen captures the internal render buffer before it goes through the video out part - all it would show are differences due to the way shaders might be processed, etc.

Permabanned
As in the anti-blur stuff? Yeah I like un blurry picture, never understood why some people like seeing a smeary mess (like "cinematic" 24fps being in some way desirable, no thanks!)

It does not work that way, it is aimed at broadcast TV mainly sport.

I do not see movies at 24FPS/HZ as the TV doubles it and AFAIK good Plasma's are internally 600HZ but this is not the same as the fake Black Frame Insertion that LCD's use that causes the Soap Opera Effect.

All those setting including Noise Reduction/Edge Enhancement etc are for low quality SD broadcast and should be turned off for local content like HD movies.

Associate
It does not work that way, it is aimed at broadcast TV mainly sport.

I do not see movies at 24FPS/HZ as the TV doubles it and AFAIK good Plasma's are internally 600HZ but this is not the same as the fake Black Frame Insertion that LCD's use that causes the Soap Opera Effect.

All those setting including Noise Reduction/Edge Enhancement etc are for low quality SD broadcast and should be turned off for local content like HD movies.
Black frame insertion doesn't cause smearing or soap opera effect.
It's there to reduce smearing actually and what causes soap opera effect is frame interpolation.

Permabanned
I knew it was one or the other I get them mixed up but either way I am not on LCD thankfully.

My Kuro TV doubles it from 24HZ to 48HZ the frame but its a dupe of the frame not a black/blank and AFAIK the last of the Panasonic Plasma's made triple it from 24HZ to 72HZ.

The setting that caused The Soap Opera Effect on my LG's LCD's did do even at Low (Off/Low/Med/High) the default in bold so was first thing to be turned off.

Associate
I knew it was one or the other I get them mixed up but either way I am not on LCD thankfully.

My Kuro TV doubles it from 24HZ to 48HZ the frame but its a dupe of the frame not a black/blank and AFAIK the last of the Panasonic Plasma's made triple it from 24HZ to 72HZ.

The setting that caused The Soap Opera Effect on my LG's LCD's did do even at Low (Off/Low/Med/High) the default in bold so was first thing to be turned off.
Yeah I've had Panasonic plasmas in the past and they handled motion beautifully due to the flickering nature of them.
These days manufacturers try to mimic that behaviour exactly by using black frame insertion to cancel out the blur.
Oleds are nice but can't compare to motion handling of old plasmas and CRTs...

Permabanned
I am not sure if that is an OLED limitation or an LG limitation as I said in other threads they make good Panels even their Plasma's panels but they could not match Pioneer and Panasonic in the control side (they did bring out a high end one, I cannot remember the range name but one was white).

I think Panasonic are said to have the best OLED right now due to the control side handling things on the LG panel better than LG's own TV's

Soldato
OLEDs are all very similiar in terms of picture quality - even though most reviewers will rank the gz2000 as the best home theatre/movie TV the visual differences between it and any other OLED is very minor. It's a limitation of the technology, there aren't as many thing you can change like you can with LED/LCD

Associate
It's possible that nvidia makes this difference intentional as some sort of weird product differentiation strategy. As reported, with a GeForce you are very likely to observe the following effects:

1. Textures look lower resolution because of applied texture compression;
2. Some parts of trees and bushes like branches and foliage are cut off the scene;
3. Distant objects look washed out, loss of detail in distance
4. Colours look washed out, applied very thin white colour filter on the images;
5. Fonts look with irregular shape, sharp curves instead of smooth curves, thicker letters, sometimes lighter black on the fonts
6. Contrast balance is broken

Pretty weird strategy to have, by making your own image quality worse. But this might be what gives them extra performance.

Permabanned
Have a working laptop with i3-5005U connected via a HDMI cable with an AOC 24" i2369Vm.
Previously, the same monitor was connected with a Radeon HD 4670.

The intel image quality is so poor, it's like the whole image gets some very strong blur effect and is out of focus. So ugly! :eek:

Soldato
Have a working laptop with i3-5005U connected via a HDMI cable with an AOC 24" i2369Vm.
Previously, the same monitor was connected with a Radeon HD 4670.

The intel image quality is so poor, it's like the whole image gets some very strong blur effect and is out of focus. So ugly! :eek:

You have proved time after time that you have no technical knowledge of GPUs, CPUs, TVs or Monitors. So It's definitely PEBKAC. You probably have set the wrong resolution for the external monitor. But, knowing you it could be anything.

Permabanned
You have proved time after time that you have no technical knowledge of GPUs, CPUs, TVs or Monitors.

What do you mean, are you trolling? I have very serious knowledge on the aforementioned components and regularly follow all the relevant trends in the corresponding areas :D

You probably have set the wrong resolution for the external monitor. But, knowing you it could be anything.

Probably, but it doesn't excuse the low quality because the Radeon doesn't behave like that when lower resolution is chosen..

You don't know anything about me. And you have no legal right to know anything about me.

Soldato
You have proved time after time that you have no technical knowledge of GPUs, CPUs, TVs or Monitors. So It's definitely PEBKAC. You probably have set the wrong resolution for the external monitor. But, knowing you it could be anything.

4k is the type of person who would complain a car is slow because he couldn't get it out of first gear

Back
Top Bottom