Red Dead Redemption 2

Soldato
I'm really confused by the online portion of this game.

I started playing it yesterday and I'm riding about speaking to people and ding missions...

But I paused the game and one of the menu options is other game modes, moonshiners, bounty etc... I'm completely lost as to what is going on.

Are these game modes?

I actually haven't met any online players yet, dispute playing 'online'.

The cheapest and easiest role/work to save up for is collector. It costs 10 gold from madam naza, also you need to buy the metal detector and spade for $ after you unlock them. There is a cheat map here that is updated every day with all the locations of every item. It makes collector very easy and ranks you up fast. link below.
https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

Bounty hunter is also another good one to start with because all bounty are paid in gold. If you hand the body in within the last 30 seconds you get 0.3-0.4 gold bars every mission but it does cost 15 gold bars to get started so quite a lot of saving up before you can get started.

I would recommend starting with one of these 2.

These roles all take place in free roam.

Last edited:

ne0

ne0

Associate
Crashing aside, which API should be used for the best results in an ideal world?

FWIW Vulkan and DX12 give me pretty much the same performance, however, DX12 gives a much cleaner picture. I'm very fussy when it comes to graphics and there is definitely a difference there. The downside is DX12 has longer loading times but it's worth the trade off.

Soldato
The cheapest and easiest role/work to save up for is collector. It costs 10 gold from madam naza, also you need to buy the metal detector and spade for $ after you unlock them. There is a cheat map here that is updated every day with all the locations of every item. It makes collector very easy and ranks you up fast. link below.
https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

Bounty hunter is also another good one to start with because all bounty are paid in gold. If you hand the body in within the last 30 seconds you get 0.3-0.4 gold bars every mission but it does cost 15 gold bars to get started so quite a lot of saving up before you can get started.

I would recommend starting with one of these 2.

These roles all take place in free roam.

So what am I actually playing them, if I just started the online portion of the game and I am riding around doing missions?

I was broken out of a police wagon etc etc at the start.

Soldato
So what am I actually playing them, if I just started the online portion of the game and I am riding around doing missions?

I was broken out of a police wagon etc etc at the start.

That's the online mode, it's an odd one.

There's the story-driven part with the breakout, you doing missions in groups for the people that broke you out, never talking, struggling to make money etc and there's also what are basically careers that you can do as well.

For me, main story mode = 10/10 but the online is more of a 6/10, it feels a lot less polished and there's a lot going on which isn't explained very well.

Soldato
it feels a lot less polished and there's a lot going on which isn't explained very well

Your not kidding.

I'm like opethdisciple I no idea what I was doing after 5/6 attempts bit your post above has given me something to go off.

They had a free bounty hunters license a few weeks back but I forgot to claim it. Gutted now.

Soldato
Cant say I'm enjoying the online much.

I'm just riding around mostly doing bounties and driving carts from a to b as a hired gun.

Is that it? :rolleyes:

Pretty much, I'd stick to solo play, wife and I tried to play together online and it was a horrible experience. Grouping up/party play just isn't easy at all. Nothing is explained nor easily accessible.

Man of Honour
Cant say I'm enjoying the online much.

I'm just riding around mostly doing bounties and driving carts from a to b as a hired gun.

Is that it? :rolleyes:

Sort of yeah, you have to play it almost as an MMO, the missus and I have over 400 hours in RDR2 and its almost all (probably over 90%) in online mode. With a group of friends, building up your camp etc, its essentially similar to an MMO with a smaller population.

Associate
Recently finished the story and jumped into the online mode, done a few missions but im failing to see the goal

whats the end goal? just level up/make money to unlock/buy new weapons + horse?

Man of Honour
Recently finished the story and jumped into the online mode, done a few missions but im failing to see the goal

The goal, as with most MMOs (which is the way in which the missus and I play the online mode) , is whatever you set yourself as a goal. Maybe you want to max out your camp, maybe you want to do all of the online mode "campaign" and side missions, maybe you want to unlock every item, maybe you want to max out your professions and build up your moonshine bar as high as it can go, maybe you want to do the pvp battlegrounds, maybe you want to just roam the world and roleplay. The goal is whatever goal you want, much as in the best MMOs (not that I'm saying this is close to the best MMOs, it isnt, doesnt even come near the best sandbox, no quest MMOs - the comparison is just in regard of styles of play)

Associate
The goal, as with most MMOs (which is the way in which the missus and I play the online mode) , is whatever you set yourself as a goal. Maybe you want to max out your camp, maybe you want to do all of the online mode "campaign" and side missions, maybe you want to unlock every item, maybe you want to max out your professions and build up your moonshine bar as high as it can go, maybe you want to do the pvp battlegrounds, maybe you want to just roam the world and roleplay. The goal is whatever goal you want, much as in the best MMOs (not that I'm saying this is close to the best MMOs, it isnt, doesnt even come near the best sandbox, no quest MMOs - the comparison is just in regard of styles of play)

ah i see, pretty much the same as GTA online then, except a different time period
i might jump in now and then but nothing i would play much of

just got the new division 2 expansion anyway so im ready to start that

Soldato
Pretty much, I'd stick to solo play, wife and I tried to play together online and it was a horrible experience. Grouping up/party play just isn't easy at all. Nothing is explained nor easily accessible.

It's really easy to play with friends, one of you creates a possy and the other one joins.

Soldato

The online also has a story which you can 100%

It's nice to unlock all the roles and get them to at least level 10, then you get 3 daily missions for each role.

There is some new content coming soon with gold panning role and property to own.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking of getting it while on sale. How will it perform with my 3570k at 4,2ghz with 16gb ddr3 and vega 56 pulse without undervolt or oc, so just stock. Gta 5 has issues tho thats just cos i got a 1440p screen and a amd card. I ran it great before at 1080p on a 670 then a 780ti but now it goes down in fps and stutters if a lot of action like shootin randoms to get cops to chase me to test busy action. And textures disappear and buildings if in a fast car flooring it on the fast roads in the city. Have to fix it with higher process priority and putting 50% power limit to avoid it. Just hoping i dont have to do the same for rdr2.

Back
Top Bottom