• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

bru

bru

Soldato
Only one thing is certain, these new big Navi cards will put the RX 690 sorry I mean the RX5700 ;) firmly back into the midrange sector where it should have been all along.

Associate
Very close to 1080Ti performance for ~£360 isn't exactly bad and not what I would call mid range performance.
Well it is by definition mid-range by today's standards although I'd say mid to high range is more appropriate. There are three or four faster cards and the definition of mid range performance has to move up with time when there are faster cards.

Soldato
Well it is by definition mid-range by today's standards although I'd say mid to high range is more appropriate. There are three or four faster cards and the definition of mid range performance has to move up with time when there are faster cards.

I would expect a mid range card to have the performance of a high end card from 3 years ago. As Nvidia up there pricing AMD added £100 to pricing of there RX580 replacement, if the cards sell at that higher price for both camps then its good business. Its why i hoping a 3rd player ie Intel could stir up competition properly.

Caporegime
Analysis: Big Navi and Next-Gen Consoles

Has he been reading my posts? :D

1600Mhz + 12% = 1808Mhz: 2560 Shaders + 12% = 2867 Shaders: 2867 Shaders @ 1600Mhz = 9.2 TFlops

9.2 TFlops + 30% = 11.96 TFlops: 2867 Shaders + 30% = 3727 Shaders.

I'm going to stick my neck on the line and predict the XBox-X GPU is a 60 CU GPU (3840 Shaders) running at around ~1600Mhz.

To confirm: 3840 Shaders X 1600Mhz = 6,144,000 X 2 Flops per Cycle FP32 = 12,288,000 (12.29 TFlops)

If AMD can pull off a 5120 Shader RDNA2 GPU with higher IPC, better power efficiency and Hardware Ray Tracing they will be back to trading blows with Nvidia, i doubt Ampre is going to be anything much better than that.

Edit: if RDNA2 has Variable Rate Shading it will be performing better per clock - per shader, and RDNA is already the same IPC as Turing without that.

Soldato

Considering how slow progression has been since 2016 I don't think there is really a definition of mid-range now.

I would expect a mid range card to have the performance of a high end card from 3 years ago. As Nvidia up there pricing AMD added £100 to pricing of there RX580 replacement, if the cards sell at that higher price for both camps then its good business. Its why i hoping a 3rd player ie Intel could stir up competition properly.

This hasn't really been the case since Polaris/Pascal launched in 2016. Before that I agree but it's totally different and much slower to advance in performance than it used to be.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Did I read this wrong? If AMD pull rabbit out of the hat and actually produce a good card, you will be buying nvidia's offering instead?

one thing nvidia has is its ray tracing will be in its 2nd generation amd's will be its first gen so will either be slower or chances of more bugs due to being new.

as with anything else i wouldnt buy either without seeing third party reviews at the very least, and depending when they drop and prices maybe 3-6 months down the line for drivers to catch up to the release.

Mobster
Soldato
Did I read this wrong? If AMD pull rabbit out of the hat and actually produce a good card, you will be buying nvidia's offering instead?

Yes.... Why ?

Well you have to think how much money AMD spent in R&D to literally catch up the last 3/4 years and overtake. These things will cost a lot of money, right up there with 2080Ti costs. Yes nVidia will still be more, but I believe they will still have the fastest cards.

So basically If I want to buy nVidia worth buying, i need AMD to pull this 'rabbit out of the hat'

Caporegime
Yes.... Why ?

Well you have to think how much money AMD spent in R&D to literally catch up the last 3/4 years and overtake. These things will cost a lot of money, right up there with 2080Ti costs. Yes nVidia will still be more, but I believe they will still have the fastest cards.

So basically If I want to buy nVidia worth buying, i need AMD to pull this 'rabbit out of the hat'

Out of interest, what if AMD have the faster card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom