• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Intel maybe using a similar design for its XE GPU the problem they have run into is power draw trying to connect all the tiles so the is sees it as one package. AMD might have had similar problems.

Well AMD must have learned loads with Infinity Fabric but I thought there were specific issues with multi GPU’s that had to be overcome as well as making it transparent to the program/game.

Useful read

https://linustechtips.com/main/blogs/entry/1567-the-chiplet-problem-with-gpus/

Hopefully they’ve cracked it ;)

Soldato
Hilarious!
Thank you for proving my point. Dunning-kruger in full effect

f0d3991e2720dfb5dec297ad2a4053de.jpg

Soldato
well that leak claiming to be from sk hynix has been called out as false, by sk hynix so maybe just maybe its a load of old spherical's.
Why would SK Hynix go to so much effort to refute that leaked document, undergo an "extensive investigation" and threaten legal action against anybody who reports on it if it's just fanciful nonsense? Sounds like an awful lot of effort.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks...

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Why would SK Hynix go to so much effort to refute that leaked document, undergo an "extensive investigation" and threaten legal action against anybody who reports on it if it's just fanciful nonsense? Sounds like an awful lot of effort.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks...

maybe, but tis the season and all of that now, more so with GDC getting canned so will be all sorts floating about, just watched adoredtv's latest and he's talking about a 18tf big navi which would be a good step in the right direction depending on how much heat it kicks out and what nvidia does.

just gotta wait a few days i guess now for amd to release something.

Soldato
Sounds feasible given I'm not a GPU engineer ;) Really hoping for some serious competition in the next two years.

We shall have to see.

The latest rumours I've seen is yesterday from a supposed closed door visit of microsoft to AMD HQ to get some demos and more details on the new consoles and also new AMD upcoming tech.

*apparently* the big Navi is 18TF. Sounds great, until you see the newest Nvidia GPU that popped up on Geekbench putting out 33 TF @ just 1 ghz clocks - it's still running on slow ES clocks.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
33TF will be a datacentre product if true, just look at Nvidia product history in recent years there is no way they will have consumers that power even if if they technically could

its been pointed out a few time to Grim5 but he keeps posting it because rumours!!!!!!

Soldato
its been pointed out a few time to Grim5 but he keeps posting it because rumours!!!!!!

Given their drip, drip approach 33Tf is never happening. They'll release just enough to stay ahead, more product cycles more milking of the consumer. Just like Intel. What we don't know is what experience Nvidia have with 7nm and will it all go smoothly for them.

Associate
To me the 18TF looks credible. Multiple parties have examined what an 80CU RDNA2 part could potentially do with high TDP, relative to the new XB & PS GPUs. It checks out. The largest consumer GPU die from AMD this year is unlikely to be less than 80CU, and if performance per CU / mhz is as good as the XB & PS suggest, there's probably not much value for their bottom line in going higher than that this year.

Associate
We shall have to see.

*apparently* the big Navi is 18TF. Sounds great, until you see the newest Nvidia GPU that popped up on Geekbench putting out 33 TF @ just 1 ghz clocks - it's still running on slow ES clocks.

You need 2080MHZ for 7936 cuda cores to be at 33TF

Associate
5120 stream processors and 80CUs for 18-20TF looks viable for a 50% uplift over the 2080ti.
Hopefully summer brings decent performance improvements and renewed competition as we're all going to
be spending more time indoors in the coming months.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I see everyone’s tune is slowly changing. 6-12 months ago most were saying they would be surprised if AMD would be able to even match a 2080Ti. Lol.

Soldato
Do we know if AMD will be building these new Navi on a smaller process?

If the answers yes then I believe the rumours that these could improve performance considerably and still fit in an acceptable power envelope.

If not then I cant see how AMD will improve the permanence and not create a card that runs silly hot and power hunger as per most of their previous cards. As per Vega.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom