ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO

Soldato
Yeah its good to know it all works, I'd like the main unified bios out though and that's the first confirmation I've seen that the Hero will get it. I'd had the mobo since release so I've had my time of wanting a new bios to play with and retuning it a few weeks later again.

Soldato
Anybody tried 7704, I installed it and most things are ok but RAM OC is not stable. I could get 3600 CL16 before but now 3200 CL22 gives problems, I ended up using 2666 CL20 @1.395v just so its stable. I left all settings on auto, just set RAM speed to 2666 and set voltage to 1.32(shows 1.395 in hWiNFO).

Soldato
Anybody tried 7704, I installed it and most things are ok but RAM OC is not stable. I could get 3600 CL16 before but now 3200 CL22 gives problems, I ended up using 2666 CL20 @1.395v just so its stable. I left all settings on auto, just set RAM speed to 2666 and set voltage to 1.32(shows 1.395 in hWiNFO).

Beta bios not listed on motherboard download page? Latest there is still 7601

Associate
7704 working well here, my ram still does 3600 c16, but then it's B-die. CPU Boost clocks seem a little more reliable.

Still cant get close 3800 RAM + 1900 FCLK. That would be nice.....

Associate

Q: I am wondering if anyone here has the Crosshair VI Hero board running ok with a Ryzen 3700X cpu.

I jumped onto the Ryzen hype train and being an early adopter with the 1800X a couple of years ago, but in an experimental configuration (passive cpu cooling) which didn't work well enough.

So.. if a 3700X is less hot than an 1800X, I am considering getting the 3700X for my VI Hero board.

Feel free to chime in on any notions at all about the 7nm 3700X cpu running cooler or not, than the 14nm 1800X cp.

According to Asus, the 3700X should be supported since bios 7002: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_CPU/

Last edited:
Soldato
Few days running 7704 and all good here, surprised didn't have to make any changes when installing another 16gb ram, waiting for a Thermal Grizzly pad to be delivered and then will fit monoblock after finally getting one.

Associate
For somebody like me that considers upgrading the old failed experimental build of mine, from a hot eight core 14nm 1800X cpu, to an eight core 7nm 3700X, I am a little cautious as my former experiment with passive cooling didn't yield satisfactory results in terms of cooling.

Now, I think I have learned that the chips inside the lid of the 3700X, is not simply around the center, but on the opposite side of the tiny arrow in the corner, and, compared to the Crossfire VI Hero motherboard cpu socket, the two outlying chips are apparently in a row facing from front of cabinet to rear end. And.. I can see from my current install of the huge passive cpu cooler I use for my 1800X (been stored away sadly), that the four heatpipes also goes in the direction of front case side --> rear case side, which I would think have two pipes covering the bottom chip, and the other two pipes covering the other two chips. I guess, it would perhaps be better if the four heatpipes on my cooler, could instead be rotated 90 deg, so that pairs of heatpipes, covered at least two chips each. Any thoughts on this line of thinking? I don't readily know, if I can simply rotate my cooler 90 deg, haven't checked.

Edit: Hm, I just realized that the triangle in the socket on the mobo, is on the left bottom side in the photo, still, that make the heatpipes go from top of photo, to bottom, or, from front to back inside the case.

https://ibb.co/C58nbF7 (mobo, image replaced)
https://ibb.co/vxjPK9x (overlay of heatpipes over cpu, unsure if entirely accurate)

Q: What are the three chips on the die on the 3700X?
A: From an article: Supposedly, the two chips on top are CCD's (7nm) and the bottom chip is I/O chip (12nm).

https://ibb.co/0mppkTZ (AM4 chip third gen architecture illustration)
"As with Zen and Zen+, Zen 2’s CPU cores are further subdivided within an 8-core CCD into two quad-core Core CompleXes (CCX). " I guess the two top CCD's are where the eight cores are. I wonder what get more hot, the cores, or the I/O chip below.
"The actual processing happens on one or more CCDs, while the IOD contains the memory controller, high-speed I/O, and other functions." I guess, maybe the eight cores get more hot, than the I/O chip.
Source: https://techreport.com/review/34672/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-and-ryzen-9-3900x-cpus-reviewed/

Last edited:
Associate
Ah, so, near silent isn't good enough, or, "near silent" is pretty much what I have today (on my other computer). I can still hear the woosh of the air flowing all the time, which I don't like.

If gaming, I probably wear a headset and some noise is not important, but on idle, I want it ideally to be totally quiet. The PSU on my experimental build is also fanless, the GPU had its fans idle, when gpu was idle. Same with case fans, idle when cpu was idle.

Hmm. I guess it is not unthinkable to have my current computer, running with fans that turn themselves off, but, anyway, I have already the equipment, with a huge passive cpu cooler, so I thought it would be fun to have a soundless computer with the stuff I already have in stock.

Associate
The huge passive cooler was said to scale to some 95W TDP, iirc. It seems, maybe it would be ok, if cpu boost, only boosts one of the eight cores. I will admit, I don't know if a 3700X will work well for me, but I would think that it would at least work better than the 1800X, if the 3700X has a TDP of 65W, while the 1800X had a TDP of 95W.

Though, the 1800X chip, apparently had the eight cores at the center, a vertical strip that got covered by the four heatpipes. The 3700X seems to have an assymetric placement, with the eight cores on one side, so I would ideally have to figure out if I can rotate my cooler 90 deg, to make all four heatpipes cover both cores (two heatpipes per quad set of cores).

I guess, I could go for some weak cpu solution, in a passive cooled build for web surfing, but I thought I would want gaming as well if I could make it work. (My current computer build, is a quad core i7 2700K, running at 4,6 GHz overclocked.) An eight core cpu would be a nice upgrade overall I thought.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Weird issue with my CH6. My rig only posts into the BIOS and despite the keyboard and mouse lights been on, they don't work (have tried different ports).

The CMOS battery would be the first guess but I remember the time been correct and ticking up last night in the BIOS, plus it remembered my OC profile.

This is on the back of my RMA NVMe replacement causing me issues, could the mobo be on its way out?

Soldato
Anyone got PBO working on the board? Using 7704. Just recently slotted in a 3700x but can't seem to edit the EDC/PPT headroom. Figures change in the bios but Ryzen Master shows the standard figures are still applicable.

7704 working well here, my ram still does 3600 c16, but then it's B-die. CPU Boost clocks seem a little more reliable.

Still cant get close 3800 RAM + 1900 FCLK. That would be nice.....

I've seen things around suggesting the topology of the Hero VI struggles above 1800. I've sat it at 1800/3600C14 personally.

Last edited:
Associate
I recently got gskill trident z neo with bdie 4x8GB and I'm surprised what I can get still out of this motherboard, especially with 4 sticks:)

I thought I would have to swap it to something new, but now I don't see the point.
I already had it at 3733 14-15-14-28 (fast from dram calc) with 64.2 latency, however this was with voltage 1.475 (bios), 1.5v in hwinfo, kinda toasty and when testing HCI it got to 60C and I thought it's pointless, so stopped it after couple of hours without errors. Soon it would throw errors just because of the temp. However while gaming for hours temps were staying <50C and stable, so I was happy with that. It's WC build so not much fresh airflow inside the case).

Currently testing 3800 16-17-16-32 (fast from dram calc), latency 63.7, 1.43v (in bios). If it's good for hours of gaming it's good for me, I'll keep it at that. I'll see.Might not be enough for people who are doing days of memtest:p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Weird issue with my CH6. My rig only posts into the BIOS and despite the keyboard and mouse lights been on, they don't work (have tried different ports).

The CMOS battery would be the first guess but I remember the time been correct and ticking up last night in the BIOS, plus it remembered my OC profile.

This is on the back of my RMA NVMe replacement causing me issues, could the mobo be on its way out?
Something very strange with my set up. I replaced the CMOS battery and I could use the keyboard and mouse in the BIOS. I changed the time and loaded my profile (3.8GHz, 3200 XMP), everything was fine and Doom Eternal worked, and the PC was left on all day. I unplug from the wall when it's off due to the circus of RGB inside. Turn it back on this morning and it's reverted to default BIOS settings and the clock is wrong, works fine changing/loading back. Another issues is my WiFi refuses to connect automatically and takes a few goes (every other device in the house is fine) and I remember it showed some 'unrecognised USB device' message yesterday after first booting (CMOS battery change). Sure this mobo is on its way out?

Soldato
I unplug from the wall when it's off due to the circus of RGB inside.

You can turn that off in bios or Aura btw.

Something very strange with my set up

Tis odd. Was the replacement battery definitely in life and the right type from a decent producer? Can't say I've had a mobo fail like that but sounds like something isn't right. chipset drivers up to date and everything else?

Caporegime
You can turn that off in bios or Aura btw.
Am sure I have done this but something still stays lit when plugged into the wall, you know how one tiny light from a device in near pitch black can seem so bright :p. Will check again.

Tis odd. Was the replacement battery definitely in life and the right type from a decent producer? Can't say I've had a mobo fail like that but sounds like something isn't right. chipset drivers up to date and everything else?
Up to date with drivers and BIOS, will see what it does when I turn it off at the wall. Still have to get my NVMe working - well at least now is a good time to sort all of this.

Edit - moment of truth tonight when I get back from work. If the board is on its way out, I have already eyed up its replacement - Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI. Ideally I didn't want to upgrade my X370 for my inevitable upgrade to a 3700X but the ARORUS seems like a good middle ground and bang for buck considering some of the astronomical prices of the X570s.

Edit - yup it's definitely the battery or motherboard. The settings revert to default after been unplugged from the wall. Its a Duracell CR2032, brand new - perhaps I just got unlucky. Will get a replacement and go from there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom