Half-Life: Alyx

Soldato
Reading various forums, I am surprised at the number of people who didn't like the game.

It isn't perfect, but it's the best looking and best performing VR game I've seen. No other game has the mix of such decent visuals with rock-solid performance.

Also it's fairly limited in some ways - like your guns are glued to one hand, and you can't swap them from one hand to another, and no melee combat either.

But I am surprised that some people flat out don't like it at all (unless they're pancake gamers who can't play it).

Associate
I held off getting it for a while, and just starting playing it a couple of days ago. Its' visuals are great, but its a very linear game, and so far what Ive seen (chapter 3), its quite a basic shooter with some puzzles. In terms of gameplay I got a lot more invested in saints and sinners, which had a lot more weapon options, a weapon/health/defense generation system, and various quests that could be done at different times, and felt a lot more filled out.

But certainly enjoying alyx.

Associate
Anyone had an issue, when using quest plus virtual desktop, that when you die, and you select the last saved position to start again, the HMD just remains black ? The game does reload (although I can't see the "loading" screen), as I can hear it, and also can see it if I switch to the desktop, but switching back to VR gives totally black.

This only started after playing for many hrs (I'm at chapter 6). Powering down the quest fixed it for a while, but it's come back and powering down has no affect on solving the issue this time ?

Soldato
I think the general advice is to stop before you feel sick, do it in small stints and eventually you’ll become more immune (although a minority never do).

In Alyx even with smooth on you can teleport, so I would suggest just try switching to teleporting around when you start to feel a bit off (or ideally before!) and then go back to smooth once you feel ok again.

Other than that, ginger helps apparently. You can get ginger chewy sweets for motion sickness.

Associate
I see windows 10 2004 now makes it easy to see how much network use each application uses and tells me that virtual desktop has used 917GB in the last 30 days. Most of that would have been Alyx !

Associate
OMG was just visiting steam and looking at cyberpunk when I noticed below Alyx is on offer ! £34.86 (Double Post in case your not watching vr deals thread )

make that £29.86 there’s an extra fiver off as well ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Picked it up on sale. Have a CV1. Any real disadvantages I should know about with the touch controllers vs the strap on ones with the index? Does it make any parts of the game awkward / worse?

Soldato
No it works fine... if you get some grip straps for your touch controllers it does make the gravity gloves just feel a bit more natural in my opinion but it’s not a requirement by any stretch of the imagination.

I’m really looking forward to a second play through in September when I hopefully get my new G2!

Soldato
I've played this a bit since buying it at the start of the summer sale. I think my readiness for combat is revealed by me reacting to being attacked by a headcrab by accidentally ejecting the mag instead of shooting them. Twice.

Back
Top Bottom