• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Great news, not surprised they've backed down - got a great product line, no need to sour everything with nonsense like this.

Any idea about rough gains from Zen+ series to Zen 3?

Caporegime
Yeah given that the BIOS update effectively removes support for a number of older CPUs perhaps they are just thinking that removing support for 1st gen Ryzens from B450s inst such a big deal as removing it from X370 platforms as more people on that platform might need 1st gen support? It's not great logic I know but off the top of my head it's a thought.

If the 4k series is a decent upgrade i'll probably snag a new board anyway, my current board only has a single m.2 slot and i have a couple of those drives knocking about (one in a usb enclosure currently) so would be nice to put it to better use.

Associate
This is some of the best viral marketing AMD could have asked for. All along you plan B450 support for Zen 3 but you need a knockout punch to strengthen your "good guy" persona that they are better than Intel.

Claim 400 series won't work knowing full well backlash will happen. Wait a week and slowly give information about how insane Zen 3 is going to be with 15-18% IPC boost making people even angrier they can't upgrade. Let the community stew for a little more and then magically announce support for 400 series saying "we listen to our customers!". Now the AMD reddit is going to be a circle jerk of "LOOK GUIZE WE DID IT AMD IS KING THEY LISTEN WE DID IT REDDIT FTW!!!!!"

Sure 300 series is still ****** but this was nowhere near the audience compared to the B450 owners. Even then AMD can still claim they tried everything to make 300 series boards compatible and that implementing 400 support was a "miracle" for them. They really care!!!!!!

Checkmate Intel. Marketing you can't compete with.

Associate
This is some of the best viral marketing AMD could have asked for. All along you plan B450 support for Zen 3 but you need a knockout punch to strengthen your "good guy" persona that they are better than Intel.

Claim 400 series won't work knowing full well backlash will happen. Wait a week and slowly give information about how insane Zen 3 is going to be with 15-18% IPC boost making people even angrier they can't upgrade. Let the community stew for a little more and then magically announce support for 400 series saying "we listen to our customers!". Now the AMD reddit is going to be a circle jerk of "LOOK GUIZE WE DID IT AMD IS KING THEY LISTEN WE DID IT REDDIT FTW!!!!!"

Sure 300 series is still ****** but this was nowhere near the audience compared to the B450 owners. Even then AMD can still claim they tried everything to make 300 series boards compatible and that implementing 400 support was a "miracle" for them. They really care!!!!!!

That's some good cynicism there and I don't disagree with a word.

Soldato

Well it's certainly helped overshadow the Intel 10th gen launch when everyone's been discussing AMD.

Associate

And yet Intel still sell shed loads of overpriced CPUs and will continue to do so. Sure AMD are back in a big way, but look at Intel share price. If investors were really that terrified of AMD their share price would be taking a bigger hit than it is, yes it had a massive drop recently but that was pretty much coronvairus related and has all but rebounded to previous high levels. The price elasticity of demand for Intel products seems to be very low and they know it.

Soldato
Random question, but Ryzen 3 related - are there particular processors that require that extra 4-pin CPU power connector, e.g. 3800X, 3950X?

Soldato
Random question, but Ryzen 3 related - are there particular processors that require that extra 4-pin CPU power connector, e.g. 3800X, 3950X?
None of the current CPUs require more than a single 8-pin. Certainly not on air - if you wanted to overclock a 3950X on LN2 you might want to hook it up. Extra ones have just become the latest fashionable thing for motherboard manufacturers to add, even on low end boards where the VRM would literally explode if you tried to run enough power through them to require the extra connector. That said, there's no harm in connecting it either if you want to. It doesn't really matter either way.

Associate
So as someone who currently has a B450 Pro Carbon AC paired with a 2600, is the furthest I can go a 3900x or 3950x then?

Not even sure if a B450 can handle the 3950x either, so might be the 3900x at best.
A 3900X would be a massive upgrade if you want more cores. If you're a gamer only I can more easily understand wanting to have a smooth upgrade path to 8 or 12 faster cores than 3700/3900X but whichever way you look 2600 to 3900X is as vastly better upgrade on a socket than has ever happened before.

Associate
With the current news your B450 Pro Carbon AC may receive a beta BIOS enabling 4000 series support. My primary concern with such a board though would be whether its VRM's are really up to the task of powering the high end AM4 stuff. X570 boards generally have bettery VRM setups for a reason.

Caporegime
With the current news your B450 Pro Carbon AC may receive a beta BIOS enabling 4000 series support. My primary concern with such a board though would be whether its VRM's are really up to the task of powering the high end AM4 stuff. X570 boards generally have bettery VRM setups for a reason.

If they weren't capable of it then that would have been the reason amd would have used instead of the bios reason.

Associate
If they weren't capable of it then that would have been the reason amd would have used instead of the bios reason.

You've misunderstood, I was not referring to 4000 series with my comments about VRM's, I was referring to all *high end* AM4 processors that require strong power delivery. I would not expect the power requirements for the 4600X (assuming they stick to the same naming conventions) to be any higher than the 3600X or 2600X.

Caporegime
You've misunderstood, I was not referring to 4000 series with my comments about VRM's, I was referring to all *high end* AM4 processors that require strong power delivery. I would not expect the power requirements for the 4600X (assuming they stick to the same naming conventions) to be any higher than the 3600X or 2600X.

Same thing applies, msi are obviously confident it can support them with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom