MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Associate
MSI tend to be good at keeping drivers on the mobo pages updated.

Gigabyte tend to let theirs just lapse and become dated and you end up having to trawl the driver websites/manufacturer websites to find the latest

Soldato
@MSIUK Support why is stock supply so limited on this board, did you underestimate demand? It's almost impossible to get hold of which means this is, objectively speaking, an unsatisfactory launch.

Apparently there's some virus going around or so which is affecting production & shipping of quite a lot of goods (particularly those manufactured in Asia), think I saw something on the news about it (although that might have been my imagination!)

Associate
Has anyone fitted the Arctic Liquid Freezer II with this board yet - trying to work out which way up the cold plate goes?

Don't have an answer I'm afraid!

Received my Tomahawk yesterday and ordered this cooler today so any tips or feedback from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Heard it can be a nightmare with AM4 sockets to get the back plate lined up without smudging thermal paste everywhere.

Soldato
Don't have an answer I'm afraid!

Received my Tomahawk yesterday and ordered this cooler today so any tips or feedback from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Heard it can be a nightmare with AM4 sockets to get the back plate lined up without smudging thermal paste everywhere.

I got it on in the end but the hoses don't look as neat as they do in Intel installations, they look a bit twisted out of shape - it was actually pretty easy.

I will be popping in a NVME tomorrow and firing it up to test and check temps but its a very nice bit of kit and virtually silent - bliss !!

Associate
@MSIUK Support why is stock supply so limited on this board, did you underestimate demand? It's almost impossible to get hold of which means this is, objectively speaking, an unsatisfactory launch.

Sarcasm accounted for :D Haggisman is spot on.

But in all seriousness vendors are stocking it, just compile a white list of whose reputable. And google shopping will tell you if anyone has it in stock at that given time. So just check every few hours.

Associate
I got it on in the end but the hoses don't look as neat as they do in Intel installations, they look a bit twisted out of shape - it was actually pretty easy.

I will be popping in a NVME tomorrow and firing it up to test and check temps but its a very nice bit of kit and virtually silent - bliss !!

Nice!

And yeah was worried about the hoses but as long as its functional not too fussed tbh.

Will be running an NVMe as well, cant wait.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
For anyone worried about chipset fan noise - I just noticed that mine is running after half an hour cocking about in BeamNG, and the only reason I knew it was running is that I can see it through the case window catching some illumination off my RGB lighting. Loaded up HWMonitor, that reports that it's doing ~700rpm and it's silent (or at least inaudible over two rad fans at 650rpm, a case fan at 800rpm and a 1660S Gaming X fan that Afterburner says 41%).

Indeed, as I'm typing this it's just stopped running and there's no noticeable difference in sound from the PC.

Associate
haven't really been aware of any noise over and above the hum of the 180mm fans in my FT05.
don't expect to either unless the southbridge is running a 4x PCIe 4.0 peripheral at load.

Associate
Any indication on stock availability? Was goi g to pull the trigger on a system today but without a motherboard there's no point.

Caporegime
For anyone worried about chipset fan noise - I just noticed that mine is running after half an hour cocking about in BeamNG, and the only reason I knew it was running is that I can see it through the case window catching some illumination off my RGB lighting. Loaded up HWMonitor, that reports that it's doing ~700rpm and it's silent (or at least inaudible over two rad fans at 650rpm, a case fan at 800rpm and a 1660S Gaming X fan that Afterburner says 41%).

Indeed, as I'm typing this it's just stopped running and there's no noticeable difference in sound from the PC.
Good to know. I guess the only negative of a fan is that it "may" fail... but it's never happened to me yet in all the years I have been using cooling fans.

Associate
2-8 weeks is what I am seeing in various places, so I wouldn't wear out your F5 key for no reason. :p

Aaarghh :( CPU is arriving today. I haven’t had any new hardware in ages, the anticipation is killing me! Hopefully closer to the 2 week mark.

I'd recommend that you change that policy this time. We're expecting some stock Monday but with the number of pre-orders that we currently have it's not guaranteed that we'll have free stock. A smaller batch is due Tuesday, but again, based on sales, IF we have free stock it's not likely to be for long.

I say IF because based on the daily sales number right now, on top of existing pre-orders, in three days time all of this batch will have been consumed.

Next lot after that could be a couple of weeks away.

@ScottiB any updates from your last post?

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I had a small number booked in yesterday, obviously not enough to clear back-orders.

MSI updated me this morning and based on that update the next lot won't leave the factory until mid July due to PCB supply problems. At which time we've got another 100pcs coming direct from the factory, so we should, again, get our stock before anybody else.

Back
Top Bottom