MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
@PeegeeTips - I don't usually pre-order so will likely pick this up once in stock.
I'd recommend that you change that policy this time. We're expecting some stock Monday but with the number of pre-orders that we currently have it's not guaranteed that we'll have free stock. A smaller batch is due Tuesday, but again, based on sales, IF we have free stock it's not likely to be for long.

I say IF because based on the daily sales number right now, on top of existing pre-orders, in three days time all of this batch will have been consumed.

Next lot after that could be a couple of weeks away.

Soldato
I'd recommend that you change that policy this time. We're expecting some stock Monday but with the number of pre-orders that we currently have it's not guaranteed that we'll have free stock. A smaller batch is due Tuesday, but again, based on sales, IF we have free stock it's not likely to be for long.

I say IF because based on the daily sales number right now, on top of existing pre-orders, in three days time all of this batch will have been consumed.

Thanks for the update... I'm thinking about a pre-order but no rush at the moment now as I require a monitor change.

Soldato
i can't get the specs page on MSI to work, can someone tell me what headers the mobo has on it for connection to front panel, and what speeds they run at?

Additionally can someone please tell me if the 2.5lan is an intel chip and if so is it not the broken one in all the z490 intel boards?

Soldato
Caporegime
I'm an infrequent upgrader so I was looking for a motherboard I would be happy with for a good few years. The Master has a very good VRM, 3 X M.2, should handle a 4950X no problem, most of the connectivity that should last a while. These days I find it's the motherboard features that force an upgrade not the lack of CPU power. Another reason I wanted PCIE 4.0, that won't get saturated for a long time.

Not a cheap motherboard but should carry me through until AM5/6 and DDR5, PCIE 5.0 are quite mature. I'm also planning to go to 4K high refresh at some point which should also give any CPU some extra longevity.

This is my logic too with this upgrade. I pre-ordered the Tomahaw as it has pretty much every feature I am looking for to last until AM5 has matured... great VRM's, 2.5GBe, Rear and front USB-C, Wifi and Buetooth... it's not such a bad buy at all for £200 (my local prices in a non-Eu country are a bit cheaper than in the UK) especially as initially I can buy a cost-effective CPU like a 3600 and then pop a 4000 series beast in it late next year when prices come down. With PCIe 4 to keep up with the future GPU and SSD's it should have a fair bit of longevity. :)

Associate
This is my logic too with this upgrade. I pre-ordered the Tomahaw as it has pretty much every feature I am looking for to last until AM5 has matured... great VRM's, 2.5GBe, Rear and front USB-C, Wifi and Buetooth... it's not such a bad buy at all for £200 (my local prices in a non-Eu country are a bit cheaper than in the UK) especially as initially I can buy a cost-effective CPU like a 3600 and then pop a 4000 series beast in it late next year when prices come down. With PCIe 4 to keep up with the future GPU and SSD's it should have a fair bit of longevity. :)
exactly what i am doing, and for the exact same reason.

£144 3600 for a year (still an improvement over my 5.5y/o 5820K), and then put in a high-core 4000 series when the price slumps with the arrival of the 5000 series.

--------------------------

@MSI - do we know precisely which variant of the 8125 realtek lan chip is being used in this board?

i intend to use it with opensuse tumbleweed and I'm not entirely sure if the driver is in the kernel yet, which might mean mucking around with packaging the driver...

Associate

Morning! @ScottiB

Following on from the above how are stock levels looking today?

Placed a pre-order last night however after reading this wondering if it was too late!

Much appreciated

Caporegime
exactly what i am doing, and for the exact same reason.

£144 3600 for a year (still an improvement over my 5.5y/o 5820K), and then put in a high-core 4000 series when the price slumps with the arrival of the 5000 series.

Yeah, I really hope that there is a price drop soon when the XT series are released...

Associate
Morning! @ScottiB

Following on from the above how are stock levels looking today?

Placed a pre-order last night however after reading this wondering if it was too late!

Much appreciated

Hi @ScottiB, I ordered last night too; was there enough stock delivered today to cover the pre orders, or will we be waiting a while?

Sorry for pestering, just very keen to get it as my old pc gave up on Friday night.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
There was huge demand.

I managed to order and receive mine but a lot of retailers are out of stock after having 70+ units.

now I need a 5600XT

Curious, why not go for a 5700 and flash the bios?

Apparently improves performance by up to 10%. AMD endorsed as well so not complicated or 'risky'.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-366-ms.html

This has been on sale a few times for £299. Would keep an eye open for sure and see what deal you can get

Associate
Curious, why not go for a 5700 and flash the bios?

Apparently improves performance by up to 10%. AMD endorsed as well so not complicated or 'risky'.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-366-ms.html

This has been on sale a few times for £299. Would keep an eye open for sure and see what deal you can get

At the moment, it’s just too much.

I’m having to rebuild my entire rig up again and I would consider getting a 5700 but I still need a 144hz 1440P monitor ontop of it all.

Back
Top Bottom