MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Soldato
I might get one of these for a 4700x/4800x but might be tempted by some thing like a 4950x down the road if I end up doing more editing at home. Would this board be good enough for the big Ryzen chips?

Associate
I might get one of these for a 4700x/4800x but might be tempted by some thing like a 4950x down the road if I end up doing more editing at home. Would this board be good enough for the big Ryzen chips?
More than enough. The breakdown of the board by Buildzoid pointed out that it has upgraded VRMs.

Basically, you're getting a $300 VRM board for far less.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
MSIUK Support - do we know precisely which variant of the 8125 realtek lan chip is being used in this board?

i intend to use it with opensuse tumbleweed and I'm not entirely sure if the driver is in the kernel yet, which might mean mucking around with packaging the driver...

According to the manual, it's the 8125B. Doesn't give any more info than that.

Associate
Had delivery of my board earlier today from Overclockers, though dpd seemed to have damaged the shipping box, I'll be checking out the contents thoroughly tomorrow.

Any advice for installation of this board with a Ryzen 9 chip and 8Pack ram, any tweaks I need to make or be aware of in the bios? Should I let Windows auto find the base mobo drivers then go straight to the website for a full installation?

Looking forward to piecing this together!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Definitely grab the audio driver from the MSI site after you're up and running. Possibly latest AMD chipset drivers as well. I'd leave the WiFi/network drivers as Windows installs them, at least until MSI publishes a new driver on their site as I'm pretty sure that the one Windows runs up with is better right now.

BIOS stuff - you'll want the A-XMP profile on for your RAM to begin with (you can manually overclock and tweak timings later). That's about it.

Caporegime
Had delivery of my board earlier today from Overclockers, though dpd seemed to have damaged the shipping box, I'll be checking out the contents thoroughly tomorrow.

Any advice for installation of this board with a Ryzen 9 chip and 8Pack ram, any tweaks I need to make or be aware of in the bios? Should I let Windows auto find the base mobo drivers then go straight to the website for a full installation?

Looking forward to piecing this together!
I am so jealous. Send it to me. :p

You can try using this general guide too https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cnoxgy/ryzen_3000_series_bioswindows_settings/

Back
Top Bottom