PC Half fixed - Whats my legal position?.

Soldato
OP
Simple letter, advising that you want the laptop back, either repaired as promised, or in the state you sent it to them within 14 days. If it's not repaired then with a full refund of any money you've already paid, as they've failed to fulfil their side of the contract, otherwise you will start legal proceedings against them. As Mrbell1984 has said, this seems pretty open & shut if it's an accurate account.

"I was unable to fix it as there seems to be no way to clear the CMOS and so I decided that I will send it off to see about getting it repaired.

They checked it over and on 27/04/2021, they gave me a quote for £295.55"

Was this "checked over" on the phone or did they have the laptop in their possession at the time? If they had it in their possession, then I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to accurately diagnose the issue, so I don't see that as an excuse.

Do they have anything in their T&Cs about length of time to repair? If not, I'd also be asking for some compensation for the loss of use during the 2 months they've now had it...

Yes, they did check it over and I said there is nothign wrong with the screen... They still went ahead and speaking one time they said its been scrapped and another time said they have not touched it, and another time saying they will replace it and the next time saying they will leave it off ?

Im no wiser if they have done anything at all to it?

And yes, they have had the Laptop this whole time.

And yes, I have already had a huge go at them for not diagnosing the error properly and that I am NOT paying for their inability to do their job.
More so, because I have already told them a number of times that its not the screen.

Soldato
OP
No it doesn’t.

Hopefully Asus sort it out for you as they should have done in the first place, OP.

Yes, I hope so. I have been talking to ASUS and they do seem to be helping me find out whats going on.

They have a copy of everything I have and so if the shop B/S them, then that might be something.

But either way, ASUS know that I am NOT happy and they could have course just fob me off, but I have a great many ASUS pperipherals and I have bee na fairly loyal customer of their stuff ( And others of course Ahem ) nut the fact still is, that over the years I have spend thousands on ASUS bits and as such I expect their repairs to be as good as their products.

As I have previously said... I only sent it to ASUS as I thought that they would be the BEST people to fix it... Had I known it was going to a shop of morons, I would have thought twice about it and just took it to the local idiots instead!

If its not dealt with to my complete satisfaction, I will be going to a few Magazines with this, and perhaps some ombudsman or ... Hell... I cant go to my MeP now can I?

Soldato
OP
Well, it looks interesting what has happened yesterday and/or today.

Armed with a copy of everythign I have about these LetMeRepair, ASUS have clearly stepped in.

The guy I have been speaking to has emailed me back and stated that the repair center has been told to fix my laptop, properly and correctly, and get it back to me ASAP.

So, providing everything goes well... I should have it back very soon.

Might have been nice to offer something for my troubles,but in truth, I just want the thing back now.

Soldato
OP
Annoyingly, the entire reasopn I thought I could trust Asus to repair it, was because it has been a fantastic rock solid machine. Sure, its not the fastest by any stretch, but I only use it for basic gaming and its more thqan fast enough for my needs there, plus its got upgradable Graphics and has 3 Hard disks, and tons of RAM and I have spent a few quid on it over the years, plus its keyboard is great for typing ( Another part I replaced on it )... So I love it.

I dont want to get rid of it just in case...

But the wife has also said the same thing...

Depends on its value I suppose?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Well, it looks interesting what has happened yesterday and/or today.

Armed with a copy of everythign I have about these LetMeRepair, ASUS have clearly stepped in.

The guy I have been speaking to has emailed me back and stated that the repair center has been told to fix my laptop, properly and correctly, and get it back to me ASAP.

So, providing everything goes well... I should have it back very soon.

Might have been nice to offer something for my troubles,but in truth, I just want the thing back now.

Fingers crossed for you dude. Hopefully that's the end of the drama!

Soldato
OP
Fingers crossed for you dude. Hopefully that's the end of the drama!

Thanks bud. Hopefully yes.

After all that I'd be pushing for the repair to have a year or two warrantee and then start talking about a goodwill gesture...

I was, ( if I am completely honest ), hoping that Asus would give me a new laptop as a good will gesture, but yeah, Im starting to think that the shop might just plonk it back together and give it me back as it is. They also said they have ditched the screen but then said they have not touched it and so I have had lie after lie from them, or at the very least conflicting mesages ( all provable as ASUS have it all too ) and so yea, they do offer a 3 month warranty on repairs, but to ask for a 12 month warranty as a gesture of good will, would not be out of order surely?

Soldato
Annoyingly, the entire reasopn I thought I could trust Asus to repair it, was because it has been a fantastic rock solid machine. Sure, its not the fastest by any stretch, but I only use it for basic gaming and its more thqan fast enough for my needs there, plus its got upgradable Graphics and has 3 Hard disks, and tons of RAM and I have spent a few quid on it over the years, plus its keyboard is great for typing ( Another part I replaced on it )... So I love it.

I dont want to get rid of it just in case...

But the wife has also said the same thing...

Depends on its value I suppose?

I hope you sent a link to their trustpilot page too, Asus shouldn't be dealing with people like that.

It's clear these cowboys have been pulling stunts like this for a long time, I imagine they've got away with it because most people can't be bothered with the hassle or simply don't understand what's going on. Good on you for pushing things as much as you have.

Soldato
OP
Oh my word!

Today has been one of the biggest eye-openers that I have EVER had!

The morons at LetMeRobUBlind phoned me up and we had 2 conversations...

First off, I was out on the Motorbike and I was with a few mates and so I might not get the exact order on how things happened, but this is the gist of it :-

They said that the Laptop has gone to the testers again, but I have an old version of windows on it and so they are putting on Windows 10
I then replied saying that it is NOT any version of Windows, I use Linux, that is my Linux Laptop.
The guy then said.. What is that?

...?

EXACTLY!

He clearly assumed that I was running an old version of windows when I was not using ANY windows! - Total moron.

Anyway, I said does it start up now or not? If it starts up then thats all it was that was needed, but the guy then said that he needed to check something out and so can he call me back.

I said ok, but it does NOT need to be reinstalled and it certainly does not need Windows putting onto it, thats NOT what I asked ASUS to do! I then said that they are leavign all 3 hard drives in it are they not?
He then said that he will call me back shortly.

So yeah half an hour or so they did just that.

The guy said that there is only 2 ard disks... I said it has2x2TB plus an SSD. We agreed.

He then said that it does come on, but when it starts to boot, the display goes off. This is because whatever operating system I tried to put on, is not compatible with the Laptop.

I then told him that I have been using that laptop for about 8 years with this operating system and it works perfectly.

I then also pointed out, that he was supposed to have changed the Screen, then the Motherboard, and its supposed to have a brand new motherboard in it and it is clear to me, that if it is STILL doing the very same thing that I sent it to them for, then they cleaar have not replaced the sodding motherboard either have they?

I told them that they are nothing but disgusting liars and that I will be once again contacting ASUS.

( Like a total git that I am, I was also recording the AUDIO from BOTH phone calls and yes, I have sent the AUDIO to ASUS. )

Anyway, we are trying, or I am anyway, to come to an agreement. Since the install on that laptop is not vital, and all files etc are mainly copies from my Linux PC and any data is backed up anyway, I wont lose anything, and the guy said that in order to fully test the laptop they want to run certain software that requires Windows, and so I said they can do what the hell they liked, put anything they wanted onto it, I dont care, just get it sorted.

And here we are again.

They charge me for a Screen taht I did NOT need.
They charge me for the Motherboard that they say I have, but they are clearly using the same Motherboard.
I know the Serial numbers of the screen, and the Motherboard, I know the RAM Numbers and the Hard Disk numbers. The SSD and the 2 Hybrid HDs are under a year old and so the yhave loads of Warranty left in them, and so they better nort change, and the screen better be mine, or if not, then it better be brand new. And the Motherboard better not be mine ( although as its obvious now, they they have not changed the board either )

I am simply going to go absolutely nuts, and you can expect to see my story in the magazines the way I am feeling now.

I cannot wait to hear what ASUS say.

I am absolutedly sickened by such clear and obvious deceit and dishonesty.

Utterly sickened.

Soldato
OP
I hope you sent a link to their trustpilot page too, Asus shouldn't be dealing with people like that.

It's clear these cowboys have been pulling stunts like this for a long time, I imagine they've got away with it because most people can't be bothered with the hassle or simply don't understand what's going on. Good on you for pushing things as much as you have.

I will be doing yes, absolutely I will.

And as for me, I am sickened by it. I am fully aware that a busines sneeds to make money, thats what businesses do, and I am absolutely accepting that they can be flexible with the truth... To a point, I expect it in some ways, but what they are doing to me, has been a non stop catalog of absolute lies and downright shameful actions.

I am by no means as clever as many of the members here, but I can see B/S when I see it and I know enough to see when I see it, and if this is how they are with me, then they are clearly doing the same thing with everyone out there who puts their trust in them. Mislaid trust obviously.

I will be saying my piece but only ONCE I have my laptop back.. .They have held it hostage for this long and they could make things harder if they wanted to Iam sure, so until I get it back, Im playing it calm... Except the fowl language I used today on the phone was a tad salty I wont lie, but it was in a strong responce top some of the most obvviously stupid things that I was being told and anyone who even had a basic knowledge of computers would see how stupid he was being... Especially when I was pointing out some of the glaring issues he was spewing.

Man of Honour

It is why I won't touch Asus with a bargepole these days. I'll be surprised if Asus give a flying **** either - I only got a sort of favourable outcome in the end last time because they'd run out of options within a reasonable timeframe and had no option but to send me a new product as replacement and sadly that died about a year later as well.

Soldato
OP
Yes, and to be fair, this laptop is a good few years old, but its been rock solid and I cannot fault it.

I am happy to pay a fair price and as its well out of warranty, I knew I would be paying... I would not have sent it off otherwise, and so I knew I would pay but right from the off, they were wrong and I knew they were wrong, but they have lied throughout the entire process and now, even after everything, he stil told me its doing the same thign as I sent it iin for... So why the hefty price for a new Mobo when it clearly has NOT had one.

They said its the scren charge him for a screen.
Then its the Mobo charge him for that.
The thing is, that the yhold you to ransom and they did try the something else is wrong after that but eve nthough I argued, I did get ASUS to intervene and Asus were miffed that they had charged me, and so that means that they cannot keep asking for more money and they have also now broken a mid-contract agreement, even though the ysaid they can keep charging, thats not legally acceptable, once they give you a quote and you pay, they are liable.

Sorry I keep going on, but this has got to me so much.

It eats me up inside.

I was talking to the guys in our club today about if just after I finished on the phone and a laod of them were saying lets go up there one day and the thing is... they absolutely would.

Especially today cos we wer doing a funeral run for a fellow biker so emotions are high!

Soldato
Yes, and to be fair, this laptop is a good few years old, but its been rock solid and I cannot fault it.

I am happy to pay a fair price and as its well out of warranty, I knew I would be paying... I would not have sent it off otherwise, and so I knew I would pay but right from the off, they were wrong and I knew they were wrong, but they have lied throughout the entire process and now, even after everything, he stil told me its doing the same thign as I sent it iin for... So why the hefty price for a new Mobo when it clearly has NOT had one.

They said its the scren charge him for a screen.
Then its the Mobo charge him for that.
The thing is, that the yhold you to ransom and they did try the something else is wrong after that but eve nthough I argued, I did get ASUS to intervene and Asus were miffed that they had charged me, and so that means that they cannot keep asking for more money and they have also now broken a mid-contract agreement, even though the ysaid they can keep charging, thats not legally acceptable, once they give you a quote and you pay, they are liable.

Sorry I keep going on, but this has got to me so much.

It eats me up inside.

I was talking to the guys in our club today about if just after I finished on the phone and a laod of them were saying lets go up there one day and the thing is... they absolutely would.

Especially today cos we wer doing a funeral run for a fellow biker so emotions are high!

uh yeah, don't do that, definitely make matters worse.

I'd actually be pushing for a free repair here, or get it sent to somewhere competent that Asus can authorise to handle it.

If they really needed to install windows to test anything then they should be able to disconnect your hard drives and connect one of their own for testing, they should not be messing around with customer hard drive data, especially if you haven't approved them to do that.

Also do highlight to Asus that they might want to look at why their authorised repairer feels the need to create lots of obviously fake 5* reviews.

Soldato
It is why I won't touch Asus with a bargepole these days. I'll be surprised if Asus give a flying **** either - I only got a sort of favourable outcome in the end last time because they'd run out of options within a reasonable timeframe and had no option but to send me a new product as replacement and sadly that died about a year later as well.

My purchases are almost always based upon the level of customer support I can expect to get, all companies have good and bad products so you just have to be careful with what you decide to pick up. Gigabyte and Zotac come to mind for having excellent UK based support, Zotac also offer the longest GPU warranty I'm aware of at 5 years if you're in the market for an Nvidia card. Given there's companies out there selling the same products at the same prices only offering 2 years, I lean toward the company with the proven track record that's got more faith in its own product. I'd never touch Asus, I've had issues myself and there's too many nightmare stories surrounding what many view as 'the' premium computer hardware brand.

I will be doing yes, absolutely I will.

Hope you get it sorted soon, every time you post an update about these guys they somehow manage to become more ridiculous.

Soldato
OP
What model asus rog is it?

I repaired a few laptops in my time and am absolutely baffled by how a screen, specially for an 8+ year old laptop could even come close to £300 inc labour!

Absolutely. Especially with ebay, you can find most screens or a cheap compatible for what? 80 to 120 give or take for most screens.
When they said it was the screen, and I was arguing it out, I had a look at the cost on ebay and they are going for £450 on ebay and so I kind of thought.. Hmmm...

I have alos done perhaps 35-40 screens and no, if they are going to cost sily money, I would tell the customer BEFORE hand.

9 times out of 10 they would ditch the thing and get new.

The model?

Its a G73SW

Now here is the kicker...

There is a reset button for the CMOS on teh bottom of that model Laptop... Not mine?

Ok ,so I opened mine up to get at the bottom of the motherboard, with the idea of simply drilling a tiny hole to get at the button.... Nope! there is no button?

Ah? So, remove the battery then? Where is the battery? There is no battery on this board to remove? So its it one of those soldered in Axial Capacitor style ones? Dunno?

Nothing obvious!

Turns out that there is a few variations of that model, and there is no way to easily clear the BIOS on it... This is also how I know that they have NOT replaced the Motherboard even though they said they have and I have already been charged for it... Because it is still doing EXACTLY what it did for me and thats why I asked ASUS if they will repair it.

uh yeah, don't do that, definitely make matters worse.

I'd actually be pushing for a free repair here, or get it sent to somewhere competent that Asus can authorise to handle it.

If they really needed to install windows to test anything then they should be able to disconnect your hard drives and connect one of their own for testing, they should not be messing around with customer hard drive data, especially if you haven't approved them to do that.

Also do highlight to Asus that they might want to look at why their authorised repairer feels the need to create lots of obviously fake 5* reviews.

Yeah, Im kind of thinking that they can give me a refund now, but they ( not asus ) are clearly looking for more excuses to keep on charging me. You could certianly tell by the tone I got from the git on the phone yesterday.

And yes, why do they want to wipe all my data just to put some tools on it? Youre spot on... Using their own HD would be vastly better of course, and having to keep reinstalling just makes more work for them anyway.

I saw the huge number of fake reviews and it was so obvious that its embarrassing... The legit ones are all 1 star and then there are thes 5 star ones, nothing in between.

I did write it but I decided not to publish and I even got am email shortly afterwards pointing to it and I clicked it and I got an OOPS! page, so thankfully it didnt post it.

I definitely will do when its done.

My purchases are almost always based upon the level of customer support I can expect to get, all companies have good and bad products so you just have to be careful with what you decide to pick up. Gigabyte and Zotac come to mind for having excellent UK based support, Zotac also offer the longest GPU warranty I'm aware of at 5 years if you're in the market for an Nvidia card. Given there's companies out there selling the same products at the same prices only offering 2 years, I lean toward the company with the proven track record that's got more faith in its own product. I'd never touch Asus, I've had issues myself and there's too many nightmare stories surrounding what many view as 'the' premium computer hardware brand.

Hope you get it sorted soon, every time you post an update about these guys they somehow manage to become more ridiculous.

Yes, I have always been happy With gigabyte stuff and other companies too if I am honest. The only company that has let me down is seagate.. I used to use ONLY seagate until every HD I sent off would come back with a CERTIFIED REPAIRED Label on.. .You can recognise those as they had the green band around the label. You would sometimes not get your HD back, and when I send off a HD thats a few days old and I get back someone elses HD, thats simply not good enough, and one, even two, I will let slide, but I have over a dozxen PCs and they all have multiple HDs in and when I got to half a dozen failures... That was me done.

My Hds are all currently Toshiba or WD ( Tosh are an unknown for me, but my main Windows PC has been running a couple for about 2 years now and its been rock solid so I am happy with Toshiba

I agree with the long warranty idea... I try to go for WD Black drives not only because they are much quicker, but they have a 5 year warranty as opposed to a 2 year one and sure, that does not guarantee your data, but it does guarantee you will have the drive for 5 years. Its just up to me to back things up and I do. I have yet to have a WD fail on me that has not had a good hammering throughout its life. They have died after being abused of course, but I mean under normal use, they have done their job well.

Again the Asus Laptop and indeed everything that I have thats Asus has been for the most part, great stuff. I cannot fault the stuff, not even that laptop, and I have been 100% happy with everything I have thats Asus made... But this.. This is a big problem for me, to know that if the worst does happen, they are using these disgraceful knobs to do any repairs and thats simply not a safety net that I am happy to have.

Soldato
G73SW replacement screen is around £100 on ebay. Motherboard can be had for around £60.

Nearly every laptop I have repaired myself have been relatively easy to fix, and parts are often pretty easy to replace. More often than not the hardest part is getting into it in the first place as some require most of the thing to be in pieces before you can get to it's guts.

This is what your motherboard should look like if its rev 2.0, you can see the cmos battery on the left side.

wBeUblo.jpg

Soldato
and when I send off a HD thats a few days old and I get back someone elses HD, thats simply not good enough.

See this is where you are going wrong, after that short a time you should be dealing with the retailer and not Seagate, the retailer will have to swap for new, Seagate wont as you don't have any contract with them over what they offer which is a repair or replacement.

Soldato
Once something is out of warranty, I fix it myself, if your that way inclined, otherwise imho its a complete waste of money to get someone else to do it unless of course it had good enough reason to warrant repair.

I had 3 laptops given to me by my brothers gf, they were knackered and needed repair (keyboards/screens/batteries) About £150 in parts and a couple hours and I had 3 working laptops which I sold for £450 a piece, they were nearly 3k each new.

Back
Top Bottom