• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

From 5820K to...?

Soldato
I got a stable 5.3 at 1.389v ,i set an AVX offset of 2 , not for stability but because i don't use AVX outside of benchmarks so i didn't see the point in stressing the cpu in ways i will never get the advantage of. Temps were in the low 80's under max stress and 50's-60's whilst gaming.

As for longevity of the platform that's why i got the 10600k , i don't need anything more right now , Rocket Lake will be a completely new architecture so just like Ryzen there will be plenty of upgrade options to choose from 10900k's to whatever Rocket Lake has to offer. So unless you bought the highest tier cpu for your platform there are always upgrade paths for every platform to keep it relevant e.g The people rocking 2500k's , the 2600k and 2700k offer a great upgrade path (obviously price dependent), X79 users on 3820 i7's gave good options too , the list goes on and on.

Really nice results actually.

Agree to disagree on longevity, at least when looking at it from a cost perspective. The socket you're on will eventually limit you to chips of the same socket and historically Intel chips have been expensive in the second hand market, you're also looking at a refresh line at best before a change.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not attacking your choice or even Intel in this regard. I do genuinely feel the 10600K is probably the best 'current' gaming CPU on the market for what it can do for a person willing to OC with the right setup, but I suspect those people are few and far between even in the enthusiast community.

Soldato
I had 15-20 minutes free so googled for you.

Tested March 2017

5960X
1800X

It's probably worth noting the test was on an early X370 motherboard BIOS, pre patched OS, early release AGESA version and 2400 memory vs 2666. Not an ideal config for the 1800X but a reasonable head to head comparison.

Ok so can you now post a link to some benches with a Max overclock with each cpu like what we are talking about rather than some bull

Last edited:
Associate
Really nice results actually.

Agree to disagree on longevity, at least when looking at it from a cost perspective. The socket you're on will eventually limit you to chips of the same socket and historically Intel chips have been expensive in the second hand market, you're also looking at a refresh line at best before a change.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not attacking your choice or even Intel in this regard. I do genuinely feel the 10600K is probably the best 'current' gaming CPU on the market for what it can do for a person willing to OC with the right setup, but I suspect those people are few and far between even in the enthusiast community.[/it

It depends how you look at it , Right now if you buy Amd you're going to get pretty much the same longevity as Intel. Early adopters of AM4 are the ones that saw longevity but we don't know where AMD are going next and they haven't promised to do the same with the next socket, Tine will tell.

Rocket lake (the next cpu's on LGA1200 ) Are not based on skylake architecture and are a new architecture , the details are sketchy at the moment but it certainly wont be a run of the mill Intel refresh.

Whatever happens i'm very happy with my purchase, its silly fast and fantastic fun to tweak.

Associate
The Asus boards with the OC socket helped with Memory overclocking and Cache (never bothered with Cache overclocking myself , didn't seem to make a jot of difference outside synthetics) it had virtually zero effect for cpu overclocking unless you were pushing north of 1.5v on Ln2.
Those same ASUS boards also incinerated CPUs due to an overvolting bug. I found cache overclocking significantly improved fps in Arma 3 for example returning a boost of over 15% vs stock. Not enormous but noticeable when fps is less than 60!

Associate
I was just trying to help KWE out. Worst case a Ryzen 1800X is faster than 5960X. Just like a 1600X is faster than a 5820K.

Ryzen 3000 offers significantly more performance than all of them.
Ryzen 1800X is faster than a 5960X stock but at 4.5ghz 5960X destroys the 1800X even when 1800X overclocked as it has pretty much zero OC headroom.

Soldato
Ryzen 1800X is faster than a 5960X stock but at 4.5ghz 5960X destroys the 1800X even when 1800X overclocked as it has pretty much zero OC headroom.

I think the 5960X would be up against it. An 1800X has a lot of legs on a 5960X. It’s a fairly big gap to close.

Caporegime
jigger doesn't seem to get that no one would recommend buying a 5960x today, at the time it was a far more expensive chip and uses quite a bit more power. However, if you already have one then upgrading for gaming is pretty much pointless. The gaming benchmarks are there for people to see. The only difference between an overclocked 5820k, 5930k, 5960X or even Ryzen with the latest Intel chips is that at 5+ghz you get very good minimums on the likes of 8700k's, 9700k's and 10700k's.

Ryzen 3000 will smash it in pretty much everything else but 90% of people on here only use their rig for games or applications that don't need extra cores. My next CPU will likely be AMD, but at the moment I'm not spending a couple of hundred and going to the hassle of building a new system for little to no difference in games.

Associate
Definitely on the pay role. Or your just the biggest fan ever?

Your clearly talking poo
I've got a 5960X and have been looking to replace it for three years as it does use a lot of power. Therefore I've regularly checked the gaming performance of the 5960X (mine incidentally is at 4.5ghz OC Cache 4.2ghz) vs all of AMDs 8 core or more CPUs since the release of the 1800X/1700X. AMD make great CPUs and I'd already own one if I didn't have the 5960X BUT I actually DO research rather than talk excrement. jigger how about you try and research the subject rather than just decide based on your own preconceptions? :)

Last edited:
Associate
jigger doesn't seem to get that no one would recommend buying a 5960x today, at the time it was a far more expensive chip and uses quite a bit more power. However, if you already have one then upgrading for gaming is pretty much pointless. The gaming benchmarks are there for people to see. The only difference between an overclocked 5820k, 5930k, 5960X or even Ryzen with the latest Intel chips is that at 5+ghz you get very good minimums on the likes of 8700k's, 9700k's and 10700k's.

Ryzen 3000 will smash it in pretty much everything else but 90% of people on here only use their rig for games or applications that don't need extra cores. My next CPU will likely be AMD, but at the moment I'm not spending a couple of hundred and going to the hassle of building a new system for little to no difference in games.
Exactly, seems the adolescents on here prefer just to make stuff up to satisfy their own woefully misinformed ideas. I agree Ryzen 3000 will smash it in productivity but not gaming when overclocked and Zen 3 will push the advantage further BUT I'm not going to dismantle my rig for at best a side grade or tiny incremental upgrade. Will probably buy Zen 3 12 core assuming the anticipated IPC increase is decent and they hold boost across at least 8 cores pretty much indefinitely.

Associate
Exactly, seems the adolescents on here prefer just to make stuff up to satisfy their own woefully misinformed ideas. I agree Ryzen 3000 will smash it in productivity but not gaming when overclocked and Zen 3 will push the advantage further BUT I'm not going to dismantle my rig for at best a side grade or tiny incremental upgrade. Will probably buy Zen 3 12 core assuming the anticipated IPC increase is decent and they hold boost across at least 8 cores pretty much indefinitely.

Well this is the thing , i don't play blender , i don't play cinebench , the game play is rubbish and I've yet to understand the plot of the story behind these games .

Joking aside if you own at least a 4c8t cpu from the last 6-7 years and its paired with a reasonable gpu you can enjoy the latest AAA games, productivity for the average user is FINE. Also if you're in this category upgrading to the latest platforms is a luxury, you can either justify it and afford it or you can't.

For the first time in years AMD is now a contender in the enthusiasts desktop space, whichever way you go you're getting a very capable platform that will last you a long time.

Sadly for tweakers and overclockers AMD is a bit meh but the architecture is young still and hopefully this will improve with time.

By far the worst aspect of the current cpu wars are the fanboys , they ruin it for everyone and that's sad.

Last edited:
Soldato

The 1800X is a more powerful chip than a 5960X. I’m not sure why that makes you upset but sadly for you it’s a fact.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well this is the thing , i don't play blender , i don't play cinebench , the game play is rubbish and I've yet to understand the plot of the story behind these games .

Joking aside if you own at least a 4c8t cpu from the last 6-7 years and its paired with a reasonable gpu you can enjoy the latest AAA games, productivity for the average user is FINE. Also if you're in this category upgrading to the latest platforms is a luxury, you can either justify it and afford it or you can't.

For the first time in years AMD is now a contender in the enthusiasts desktop space, whichever way you go you're getting a very capable platform that will last you a long time.

Sadly for tweakers and overclockers AMD is a bit meh but the architecture is young still and hopefully this will improve with time.

By far the worst aspect of the current cpu wars are the fanboys , they ruin it for everyone and that's sad.

Cool story, but what are the fastest chips.

A 5820K or Ryzen 3600.
A Ryzen 1800X or 5960X

Associate
The 1800X is a more powerful chip than a 5960X. I’m not sure why that makes you upset but sadly for you it’s a fact.
I agree at stock that's the case but sadly the 1800X won't overclock really so when both are at maximum likely overclock it's pretty even and in games the 5960X often edges it. Certainly nowhere near the performance delta you imply. Unfortunately despite the evidence you refuse to believe or understand it.

Soldato
I agree at stock that's the case but sadly the 1800X won't overclock really so when both are at maximum likely overclock it's pretty even and in games the 5960X often edges it. Certainly nowhere near the performance delta you imply. Unfortunately despite the evidence you refuse to believe or understand it.

And as I said, the 5960X has a big gap to close. Stock for stock the 1800X opens up some very large leads. Even gimped in the video I posted the 1800X is considerably faster.

Mileage is going to be varied when overclocking. I’m pretty confident my 1800X system as it currently stands would offer me more performance than a 5960X system, apart from memory bandwidth intensive tasks when the quad channel memory could flex its muscle.

Last edited:
Soldato
And as I said, the 5960X has a big gap to close. Stock for stock the 1800X opens up some very large leads. Even gimped in the video I posted the 1800X is considerably faster.

Mileage is going to be varied when overclocking. I’m pretty confident my 1800X system as it currently stands would offer me more performance than a 5960X system, apart from memory bandwidth intensive tasks when the quad channel memory could flex its muscle.

You do realize why K and X chips are made,d you?

Even a poor overclocker would beat your cpu in games. Just give up the lie. I'm sure you won't get paid any more?

Soldato
You do realize why K and X chips are made,d you?

Even a poor overclocker would beat your cpu in games. Just give up the lie. I'm sure you won't get paid any more?

They are all poor for overclocking. I wouldn’t shout too loudly if I was you. Everything you said so far is wrong/ill informed or just plain nonsense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom