Greenlizard0 PL Football Thread Final Day ** spoilers ** [26th July 2020]

Soldato
It's how we do things at Villa Park!! Bookies had us at 1/50 to be relegated before the Palace game, I thought we were dead and buried. Still can't believe we're up.

:D

Yep, when West Ham equalised from the damn restart, I thought to myself, "well, that's the Villa way..."

Now looking forward to watching the transfer gossip for next season. Just hope we somehow hang on to Jack.

Soldato
Surely Pickford can't retain his spot as the England number 1? It has to be between Pope and Henderson now doesn't it? Southgate is one of the first England managers in a while to pick players based on form rather than reputation so I'd hope he continues with that approach and drops Pickford.

Caporegime
I’m in agreement. You cannot seriously compare Ole to Klopp at all. Ole just seems to wing it, there doesn’t seem to be any management there. Seems to be chance if the players turn up on the day.

You cannot wing 14 games unbeaten in the league. Too many draws this season and losing to teams we should be beating. We lost 6 points to teams that got relegated. Only lost twice to teams in the top half of the table and beat City and Chelsea three times. Paul Pogba had been out all season and Martial and Rashford were out 3 months a piece. It hasn't been consistent but the good has been far the best since Fergie days.

Soldato
Surely Pickford can't retain his spot as the England number 1? It has to be between Pope and Henderson now doesn't it? Southgate is one of the first England managers in a while to pick players based on form rather than reputation so I'd hope he continues with that approach and drops Pickford.
Like I said the other week. It isn't debatable anymore. He should not be in the squad never mind the team.

Number 1 is Pope.

Soldato
You cannot wing 14 games unbeaten in the league. Too many draws this season and losing to teams we should be beating. We lost 6 points to teams that got relegated. Only lost twice to teams in the top half of the table and beat City and Chelsea three times. Paul Pogba had been out all season and Martial and Rashford were out 3 months a piece. It hasn't been consistent but the good has been far the best since Fergie days.
I don't see what Ole has done to achieve this. I haven't seen canny tactics, or good substitutions. I've seen him put the players he's got available on the pitch and we've got to where we have on dodgy penalties and out of form teams.
We have played well a few times admittedly, but he makes strange formational decisions like last week and continues to play Pogba deep for example.
I don't see him improving players, it looked like he bought Bruno and luckily for him he's lifted the team and he'd been on the cards prior to Ole becoming Manager I think...

I'm happy to be told i'm wrong, but as Baz has demonstrated, it doesn't seem like I am. I'm no statistician like the others here though. If he comes good in the coming season, then brilliant. Let's see! I just would prefer Poch, but always have been of that opinion!

Caporegime
I don't see what Ole has done to achieve this. I haven't seen canny tactics, or good substitutions. I've seen him put the players he's got available on the pitch and we've got to where we have on dodgy penalties and out of form teams.
We have played well a few times admittedly, but he makes strange formational decisions like last week and continues to play Pogba deep for example.
I don't see him improving players, it looked like he bought Bruno and luckily for him he's lifted the team and he'd been on the cards prior to Ole becoming Manager I think...

I'm happy to be told i'm wrong, but as Baz has demonstrated, it doesn't seem like I am. I'm no statistician like the others here though. If he comes good in the coming season, then brilliant. Let's see! I just would prefer Poch, but always have been of that opinion!

I guess the only way we will see this will be next season.

Solskjaer has gotten United to the Semi Final of Fa Cup, Semi Final of league cup, 3rd place in a league where the two above him are on another level. Still has a chance of a European Trophy. Has beaten second place 3 times this season and 4th place 3 times this season.

Frank Lampards Chelsea finished behind him yet he is being lauded as a fantastic manager with a team that has equal amount of quality if not more.

Soldato
I guess the only way we will see this will be next season.

Solskjaer has gotten United to the Semi Final of Fa Cup, Semi Final of league cup, 3rd place in a league where the two above him are on another level. Still has a chance of a European Trophy. Has beaten second place 3 times this season and 4th place 3 times this season.

Frank Lampards Chelsea finished behind him yet he is being lauded as a fantastic manager with a team that has equal amount of quality if not more.

I don't agree with the comments Lampard is getting to be honest. Absolutely baffled by them.

For me United haven't actually improved under Ole yet have spent a shed load. We all jest about the penalties but to break a record for the amount given will have a large effect on your points total.

From my brief look 5 have directly earned you points. 4 wins and 1 draw with one helping you best Chelsea in the league cup.

If anyone knows a decent site for stats let me know lol.

Edit.

Next season is the test...completely agree. Get a cb in and youll be more comfortable in the top 4 but thats all imo.

Last edited:
Associate
It appears to me that no matter what OGS manages to achieve, people will not believe he is good enough.

So far he has got MU playing better, all the transfers have so far been positive and he's got MU CL football again, making the next round of transfers that bit easier to achieve. Can't ask for more tbh.

Soldato
It appears to me that no matter what OGS manages to achieve, people will not believe he is good enough.

So far he has got MU playing better, all the transfers have so far been positive and he's got MU CL football again, making the next round of transfers that bit easier to achieve. Can't ask for more tbh.

Is this a serious post? Despite these wonderful signings youve finished on the same points total as before you spent 200 million including a record breaking penalty haul. Leicesters short comings have got United CL football.

Soldato
Where would Zaha even go now? United don’t need him anymore or the other top three. No chance they’ll get anywhere near the 70mil touted last summer.

He isn’t a Rodgers player either so can’t see him at Leicester.

He’ll end up at Everton and do an Iwobi.

We don't need him in Leicester, could be staying in London possibly North of the city

Soldato
One thing you can say about OGS is that when he has had the team playing well they finally looked like United teams of old. If he can manage to actually do more than that who knows

Man of Honour

He's bought himself some time now IMO, but ultimately the job of a Man Utd manager isn't just to get a team playing well in 15-20 game spurts, and so far that's all he's done.

Transfers have been OK but there's major room for improvement too.

Consistency is needed and there are obviously still fair question marks over his tactical ability etc.

I want him to do well and he's managed to salvage this season, but you're naive if you don't have concerns about him too. I think people are forgetting just how poor we've been at times.

Here's hoping we continue to improve.

Don
I think the best way to desribe Utd's season is to say the outcome has been better than what went into it. And much in the same way as the outcome of this season has been shaped by the performances of Chelsea & Spurs, the outcome of next season will probably rest on what Liverpool and City do.

Success for Utd is not qualifying for the CL, they're expected to challenge for major titles and if they spend big again they've got to be a hell of a lot closer to the top. I can't see Utd improving by 30+ points next season though which will probably mean for their season to be successful they've got to hope that Liverpool come back to the pack and City don't produce another 95+ point season.
One thing you can say about OGS is that when he has had the team playing well they finally looked like United teams of old. If he can manage to actually do more than that who knows
The problem is you could have said that 18 months ago too. Utd have to prove that they're not just a streaky side that will string together 4 or 5 wins but can put together winning runs of 14+ games.

Caporegime
OP
We've just done that haven't we? Since Bruno joined we've won more points than any other team. I don't think anyone was expecting us to challenge for the title last year considering the big overhaul we made. Considering we went over half a season without any creative attacking midfielder and a guy up front in his first season there in a new system I don't think we did too bad. If we'd managed to get Bruno in the summer then we might have been a lot closer to the top two as we would have had some depth for Pogba's injury.

Associate
Is this a serious post? Despite these wonderful signings youve finished on the same points total as before you spent 200 million including a record breaking penalty haul. Leicesters short comings have got United CL football.

Points isnt a factor (IMO) as thats dictated by everyone around you too. The fact is, the status quo is that Man City and Liverpool are far ahead of everyone. Knowing that, finishing 3rd is as good a result as he could have achieved this season.

Don
We've just done that haven't we? Since Bruno joined we've won more points than any other team. I don't think anyone was expecting us to challenge for the title last year considering the big overhaul we made. Considering we went over half a season without any creative attacking midfielder and a guy up front in his first season there in a new system I don't think we did too bad. If we'd managed to get Bruno in the summer then we might have been a lot closer to the top two as we would have had some depth for Pogba's injury.
No :confused: In this period, when realistically Liverpool and City have had little to play for, the rate that Utd have gone at is still not nearly the 99+ points per season rate that would be needed to win any of the last 3 titles. Even if Utd had maintained this form over 38 games, which they've not proven they're capable of, they still wouldn't have been in the title race.

You're right though nobody expected you to challenge for the title but I'm sure everybody expected Utd to improve on 66 points and be closer to the top than you have been.

Soldato
We already have an extra 15-20 points over this season without doing anything (given we had Martial, Rashford and McTominay missing for 2 months +, Pogba missing for 6 months and Bruno wasn't here for the first …..24 EPL games)

Its highly unlikely we have so many forward players out for such extended periods next season. Also the timing of Covid also made the Spurs game inparticular a lot more difficult given how many players they got back in the interim.

Even just considering the huge amount of drawn games before Bruno came in and Pogba and Rashford came back, we would be able to get significantly more points without any transfers.

Of course we will get injuries, but I don't it will be to such significant players for such long periods, and hopefully we will be able to at least get better quality cover for some of them during the window.

Mason will also be playing significantly more EPL minutes than he did before Feb-March this season - I think it was about 1/3 of the possible time , and most of that was sub appearances prior to the Covid intervention.

The 1st XI still isn't perfect, clearly still a few positions which need work, but the squad is pretty atrocious beyond that but we have already gotten rid of some of the dead wood, with hopefully 2 - 3 more to go this summer.
A dedicated right winger, an AM to be able to rest Bruno for CL games etc, and imo a proper DM /CM to assist in beating the press or a left footed centre half to partner HM

Ole isn't perfect but then neither was SAF, he certainly deserves a lot more time given the significant progress already made though. IMO we have made more significant progress since Ole came in than we have in the 6 years prior. Given who came before, I think that says it all.

A lot of pundits/journo's were thinking Utd would end down in 5-6 given they didn't expect Rashford or Martial to get >20 goals each (and that's with each missing over two months of the season), Mason's first season was way better than anyone could have hoped for (in the same ball park as other teenagers from yesteryear like Rooney, Fowler and Owen...with potentially 4 more games to play)…..and every single one of Ole's transfers have worked well within the team to different degrees. His success rate in the transfer market is degrees better than all of his predecessors since SAF.

Utd also beat City and Chelsea three times each this season (when there was still something to play for) , so we are on the right track.

Its also highly flawed argument to compare directly with City and Liverpool given how long those managers have been assimilating their preferred squads for seasons before Ole's arrival. Of course these teams are expected to do better given the depth of their squads in comparison. By the end of next summer Utd should hopefully have a squad comparable to what those teams have now (in regards to managerial preference).

Back
Top Bottom