New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Soldato
Think I have seen the 'Nano IPS' mentioned on their marketing somewhere.

I originally thought this used an LG 'Nano IPS' panel due to the 98% DCI-P3 colour gamut. The Innolux panels are just 95% DCI-P3. But the luminance levels, colour gamut and the fact Dell markets it as 'Fast IPS' suggests to me it's an AUO AHVA panel. Most likely the M270DAN08.2, so the first model I'm aware of to use that one.

And to the inevitable question, yes I might try to get hold of one for a review at some point. ;)

Associate
I originally thought this used an LG 'Nano IPS' panel due to the 98% DCI-P3 colour gamut. The Innolux panels are just 95% DCI-P3. But the luminance levels, colour gamut and the fact Dell markets it as 'Fast IPS' suggests to me it's an AUO AHVA panel. Most likely the M270DAN08.2, so the first model I'm aware of to use that one.

And to the inevitable question, yes I might try to get hold of one for a review at some point. ;)
Interesting. Do you know how this AUO panel compares to the LG one?

Associate
OP
About 7.0mm inclusive of the frame. Again it's about the same as my old S2417DG

thanks just read the user guide

bezel is
Top 7.42 mm
Left/Right 7.43 mm
Bottom 20.33 mm

and also
Removable pedestal stand and Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA™)
100 mm mounting holes for flexible mounting solutions.
Wall mount monitor using VESA compatible
wall mount kit (100 mm x 100
mm).

4 ms (Fast mode)
3 ms (SuperFast mode)
1 ms (Extreme mode)
NOTE: In Extreme mode, slight artifacts may be
encountered due to overdriving for fast speed and
responsiveness. Use Super Fast/Fast mode for optimal
front of screen experience and game play.

hope this helps others

Associate
Cheers. Hows the white/black uniformity?

Got mine today. No dead or stuck pixels so far, but the right side has a easily noticeable bluer/dull tone than the left side, especially towards the bottom right. IPS glow also seems fairly intense in my opinion. The white uniformity or lack of might be a deal breaker for me. Shame.

Associate
Got mine today. No dead or stuck pixels so far, but the right side has a easily noticeable bluer/dull tone than the left side, especially towards the bottom right. IPS glow also seems fairly intense in my opinion. The white uniformity or lack of might be a deal breaker for me. Shame.
I get mine tomorrow, but I'm almost tempted to order a second and send whichever one is worse back.

Associate

what do you use to test this ? website or a tool ?

Associate
For the white uniformity - It was pretty obvious from just opening Google to be honest...

Thinking I’ll order another one, it’s probably just my panel that’s a bit uneven.

Just checked on me , it seems to be alright on a google home page. if I was really really picky , id say the edges lose a bit when you are look at it from an angle, but I think that is expected on this panel.

Permabanned
Hi. Sorry I can't access my old account. I was keen for this also and took the plunge at £331. It arrived yesterday. Coming from other 60hz dell ips monitors I think i'm generally happy. I could feel the smoothness in Overwatch. When playing in the dark last night and putting on a black screen I did have ips glow. I think it is most pronounced in the bottom right hand corner. Not sure if acceptable levels or not. I have 2x U2719D and one older U2715H I can perhaps compare against tonight.

Associate
Hi. Sorry I can't access my old account. I was keen for this also and took the plunge at £331. It arrived yesterday. Coming from other 60hz dell ips monitors I think i'm generally happy. I could feel the smoothness in Overwatch. When playing in the dark last night and putting on a black screen I did have ips glow. I think it is most pronounced in the bottom right hand corner. Not sure if acceptable levels or not. I have 2x U2719D and one older U2715H I can perhaps compare against tonight.
Hello,
Thank you for your quick review. Did you have the time to check web browsing and things like Excel or Word?

Permabanned
Using it for work right now. Just fired up excel and word seems fine. I have it side by side one of the U2719D. Both just have factory defaults on settings. I would say its a bit 'warmer' than the U2719D. I think it looks good. One minor gripe is only one display port. So don't think I can daisy chain.

Man of Honour
Hi,

Can you post in the Forum Content Discussion sub forum please so we can get your old account back.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Using it for work right now. Just fired up excel and word seems fine. I have it side by side one of the U2719D. Both just have factory defaults on settings. I would say its a bit 'warmer' than the U2719D. I think it looks good. One minor gripe is only one display port. So don't think I can daisy chain.

Hi there I hope you can. I just got 3 U2719D and have a chance to send them back for these.

I would love a good in detail comparison on what you think between these both as I use photoshop as a hobby and been doing this for years on a tn Panel until now.

I have looked at the bezel size and are only about 0.2mm bigger on the S2721DGF.

I would like to know if the contrast and black levels are the same or better or worse between them, Also the colours if there is a big difference.

or any other input would be great. Hope to hear from you soon On then points
Thanks

oh no daisy chain on these I noticed

Permabanned
I guess if you just have one S2721DGF it can be at the end of a chain but not the middle? I was chaining the 2xU2719D. My plan when a larger desk arrives is to put the S2721DGF in the middle and frame it with 2xU2719D. I also have the slight annoyance of having to switch source between work laptop and personal desktop. The U2719D can switch source from bottom of monitor where the new one is a button on the back. Can they still do 165hz in a chain?

The U2719D is generally a sleeker unit. The S2721DGF is more like the older U2715H particularly from the bottom bezel perspective.

I don't feel particularly well equipped to talk about black levels and such. I don't do any photoshop. Just work/gaming. One thing I noticed in ambient light today perhaps is the task bar looks 'more black' on the S2721DGF than the U2719D.

Would you consider just getting one of the S2721DGF instead?

Associate
I have 2x U2719D and one older U2715H I can perhaps compare against tonight

How is the monitor compared to the U2715H? Using one myself and very tempted to upgrade, although concerned the S2721 will look over saturated in comparison. The U2715H might be old, but the image quality is still great!

Associate
How is the monitor compared to the U2715H? Using one myself and very tempted to upgrade, although concerned the S2721 will look over saturated in comparison. The U2715H might be old, but the image quality is still great!
Exactly the same situation here. I would use them side by side if I did get one with the U2715H relegated to the 2nd monitor for browsing while gaming etc. Would be nice to know I wasn't downgrading the main monitor for general use.

Associate
OP
I guess if you just have one S2721DGF it can be at the end of a chain but not the middle? I was chaining the 2xU2719D. My plan when a larger desk arrives is to put the S2721DGF in the middle and frame it with 2xU2719D. I also have the slight annoyance of having to switch source between work laptop and personal desktop. The U2719D can switch source from bottom of monitor where the new one is a button on the back. Can they still do 165hz in a chain?

The U2719D is generally a sleeker unit. The S2721DGF is more like the older U2715H particularly from the bottom bezel perspective.

I don't feel particularly well equipped to talk about black levels and such. I don't do any photoshop. Just work/gaming. One thing I noticed in ambient light today perhaps is the task bar looks 'more black' on the S2721DGF than the U2719D.

Would you consider just getting one of the S2721DGF instead?

I just bought all three and don’t like To mix monitors if I can.

hope you Can compare a movie playback on both with dark background.
I noticed on the dell U2719D the standard setting always washed the image out but brought out extra detail but if used custom mode the blacks looked blacker but lots some detail. I never used the dell in standard mode because of that reason

Can you compare it in custom mode. The settings unused are 23 brightness and 75 contrast on the U2719D

thanks for any info.

Back
Top Bottom