New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
Same panel as the LG27gl850, but improved specs it seems being gsync and freesync premium pro, 3 year warranty and Dells premium panel promise, will swap it out for even a single pixel issue...

NO brainer it seems, if this suits your needs.

Associate
Hi Valish here. I've kindly been reunited with my old account. So just some more information from the queries. I think the U2719D and the U2715H are very similar. I've all 3 on now. At 23% brightness I feel on a pure white background I can see the difference in colour between the SD27 and the two U series ones. Also a lot of things are subjective in this space I guess but it is not bright enough for me.

However I hvae to remind myself about these things sometimes for all hardware purchase where you are looking closely at the details. You'll always find a difference and always find a fault I guess. From my perspective when I bought the U2715H at the time 4 years ago I wanted 144Hz and G-sync but the 2 contenders at the time had a bad rep if I recall on panel quality and I didn't want to pay £5-600. The 2 U2719 came from work so concerns there.

Now there is a dell panel that fits my needs, gamer but dont' want any bling. ips, 165hz and g-sync. I'll check the ips-glow tonight and see if its a huge concern but generally I find with this type of analysis is that its kinda all forgotten about in a week and you're just happily using the item

Associate
I had my S2417DG for almost 3 years and the S2721DGF is the perfect upgrade for me. Again it fits my needs well , especially in this more work from home climate.

Now i got an old monitor to flog as i dont really like to dual monitor anymore.

Associate
OP
Hi Valish here. I've kindly been reunited with my old account. So just some more information from the queries. I think the U2719D and the U2715H are very similar. I've all 3 on now. At 23% brightness I feel on a pure white background I can see the difference in colour between the SD27 and the two U series ones. Also a lot of things are subjective in this space I guess but it is not bright enough for me.

However I hvae to remind myself about these things sometimes for all hardware purchase where you are looking closely at the details. You'll always find a difference and always find a fault I guess. From my perspective when I bought the U2715H at the time 4 years ago I wanted 144Hz and G-sync but the 2 contenders at the time had a bad rep if I recall on panel quality and I didn't want to pay £5-600. The 2 U2719 came from work so concerns there.

Now there is a dell panel that fits my needs, gamer but dont' want any bling. ips, 165hz and g-sync. I'll check the ips-glow tonight and see if its a huge concern but generally I find with this type of analysis is that its kinda all forgotten about in a week and you're just happily using the item

thanks I am looking forward to your findings tonight. I just wanted to know if the S2721DGF Was just as good as dells ultra sharp range the u2719d as I am undecided on if I should send them back and get these.

I know the ultra sharps are calibrated from the factory but I just bought a monitor calibrator to try it out.

I would like to see if they had improved on that as the dell u2721d This years models are the same as the U2719D with no upgrades

I am trying to decide if the wider colour and higher refresh is worth it over the U2719D.

Cheers

Associate
Graphic designer chirping in here. Great to find a discussion around this monitor... thanks for the info and opinions.

As a gamer and someone who does colour sensitive work daily, I've been looking for a new primary monitor that's a decent all-rounder for a while. I'm upgrading to this from an AOC G2460PF, which has been great for gaming, but has really poor colour accuracy and contrast (TN Panel). I took the plunge and ordered the S2721DGF today, so fingers crossed it'll be adequate for my needs. I'm not expecting it to be as good as the display on my Macbook, but I'm hoping it'll be good enough to get by with.

My main concern is that the monitor is 98% DCI-P3. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't really know much about colour spaces, but from a little bit of research it looks like the colours are going to be oversaturated, and when I take work from this monitor to my Mac, it's going to look undersaturated. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anyway, ramble over. I'll update with my thoughts once I receive it! ;)

Associate
OP
Graphic designer chirping in here. Great to find a discussion around this monitor... thanks for the info and opinions.

As a gamer and someone who does colour sensitive work daily, I've been looking for a new primary monitor that's a decent all-rounder for a while. I'm upgrading to this from an AOC G2460PF, which has been great for gaming, but has really poor colour accuracy and contrast (TN Panel). I took the plunge and ordered the S2721DGF today, so fingers crossed it'll be adequate for my needs. I'm not expecting it to be as good as the display on my Macbook, but I'm hoping it'll be good enough to get by with.

My main concern is that the monitor is 98% DCI-P3. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't really know much about colour spaces, but from a little bit of research it looks like the colours are going to be oversaturated, and when I take work from this monitor to my Mac, it's going to look undersaturated. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anyway, ramble over. I'll update with my thoughts once I receive it! ;)

Some DCI-P3 monitors have a sRGB emulator for such things in the menu settings but some monitors do not do the conversion very well. I am not to sure of this monitor has such a setting.

Monitors with Adobe RGB color space are built specifically for graphic designers working in print media. sRGB applies to HD television. DCI-P3 is common for digital movie projection or HDR.

sRGB is used in a lot of media like the web and games and programs but DCI-P3 is starting to take over but it will be still years away from replacing sRGB

Been reading up, you have to be carful with DCI-P3 monitors for graphic work as it will be over saturated. Apparently Apple maps colours perfectly for such devices but windows is not very good at all at handling it. Many games and apps that use sRGB will look over saturated on a DCI-P3 monitor unless it has a very good emulation built into the monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a LG 27gl850-B, would any of you who have purchased this monitor recommend it as a replacement for the LG?

My LG monitor has developed a few dead pixels and I've been looking to buy another monitor for a while and use the LG as a second monitor.

Associate
Some DCI-P3 monitors have a sRGB emulator for such things in the menu settings but some monitors do not do the conversion very well. I am not to sure of this monitor has such a setting.

Monitors with Adobe RGB color space are built specifically for graphic designers working in print media. sRGB applies to HD television. DCI-P3 is common for digital movie projection or HDR.

sRGB is used in a lot of media like the web and games and programs but DCI-P3 is starting to take over but it will be still years away from replacing sRGB

Been reading up, you have to be carful with DCI-P3 monitors for graphic work as it will be over saturated. Apparently Apple maps colours perfectly for such devices but windows is not very good at all at handling it. Many games and apps that use sRGB will look over saturated on a DCI-P3 monitor unless it has a very good emulation built into the monitor.

Interesting, thanks for the response. I've just looked at which colour space my Macbook is using. Apparently the display is DCI-P3, but by default it was set to 'Color LCD'. I switched it to Display P3 and it's less saturated. I then tried Adobe RGB which was somewhere in between. So perhaps my Macbook is considered oversaturated by default?

To be honest, I'm probably overthinking it. I very rarely work with print (mainly digital/web), and as all displays represent colours differently, the colours in my work will vary from device to device anyway. I always use sRGB in Photoshop documents, so hopefully I'll be okay.

Associate
Right to just as a final bit of information. Had myself and partner look at these with me tonight. Conclusion was the ips glow U2715 and U2719 was better than on the S2721. Its present on all but more isolated to the corners. I think on my S2721 specifically also I find it a bit disconcerting that on the left corners its more whiteish while on the bottom right its more orange. Still think its good at this price point. Might order a 2nd and see if its any better.

Associate
Right to just as a final bit of information. Had myself and partner look at these with me tonight. Conclusion was the ips glow U2715 and U2719 was better than on the S2721. Its present on all but more isolated to the corners. I think on my S2721 specifically also I find it a bit disconcerting that on the left corners its more whiteish while on the bottom right its more orange. Still think its good at this price point. Might order a 2nd and see if its any better.
Yeah I have the exact same tint difference.
Looking at my U2515H I can see now that it also has glow in the corners, but it never bothered me because it was the same colour on each side.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

thanks for the info, i might and wait and see what others have to say but it sounds like there is a yellow tint on white problem in the corners but it might be just the odd monitor as i am not to sure if everyone is getting this ?

does the s2721 have sRGB emulation in the setting ?

Associate
One thing to note, monitor does get pretty hot. Using it next to a 60hz monitor, I have to have nVidia Inspector running multi-display power saver, otherwise my 1080ti doesn't downclock...

Associate
Interesting, thanks for the response. I've just looked at which colour space my Macbook is using. Apparently the display is DCI-P3, but by default it was set to 'Color LCD'. I switched it to Display P3 and it's less saturated. I then tried Adobe RGB which was somewhere in between. So perhaps my Macbook is considered oversaturated by default?

To be honest, I'm probably overthinking it. I very rarely work with print (mainly digital/web), and as all displays represent colours differently, the colours in my work will vary from device to device anyway. I always use sRGB in Photoshop documents, so hopefully I'll be okay.

Exactly this.

You can have the best calibrated monitor in the world and everyone else will see colours different to you depending on the monitor they have, settings etc.

Back
Top Bottom