• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen ClockTuner

Soldato
Thing is it's not constant at 1.3 that's just it's upper limit. It still downclocks to 1v and sleeps cores etc. So just unsure if 1.3 is too much when all cores are at 4.2ghz
Depends what your doing with the PC, since my main use is gaming I'm comfortable running at 1.375.

If you run a lot of core heavy workloads then you would want a lower voltage.

Associate
Depends what your doing with the PC, since my main use is gaming I'm comfortable running at 1.375.

If you run a lot of core heavy workloads then you would want a lower voltage.

Ok cool might just revert to my previous pbo setting which saw 4.3 on single core but less on multi. No bother makes very little difference to me and pc is main work horse for all my Dev stuff so better keep it safe.

Soldato
I'm also considering temps as I was seeing consistent 55C playing Horizon Zero Dawn today for a few hours and 70C running CB20 several times on my 12 core 3900X. I don't believe 1.3 is excessive if you need it to maintain stability with a mild OC.

Previously I looking more at CPU Die (avg) under HWiNFO64 for an indication as the single core boosting was spiking a lot higher in CPU (Tctl/Tdie) but now both are very similar with the CTR all core OC. Much calmer and no fan ramping etc.

Associate
I'm also considering temps as I was seeing consistent 55C playing Horizon Zero Dawn today for a few hours and 70C running CB20 several times on my 12 core 3900X. I don't believe 1.3 is excessive if you need it to maintain stability with a mild OC.

Previously I looking more at CPU Die (avg) under HWiNFO64 for an indication as the single core boosting was spiking a lot higher in CPU (Tctl/Tdie) but now both are very similar with the CTR all core OC. Much calmer and no fan ramping etc.

Cool ok, well have reverted for the moment. I wasn't seeing temps above 70 degrees with cinebench and gaming was in 55 (running h100i) so all seemed good there. However as it makes so little difference to me I have reverted back until I know more. Once I jump on a Navi of some type next year I will likely grab a 5900X anyhow. Cheers for input.

Soldato
Cool ok, well have reverted for the moment. I wasn't seeing temps above 70 degrees with cinebench and gaming was in 55 (running h100i) so all seemed good there. However as it makes so little difference to me I have reverted back until I know more. Once I jump on a Navi of some type next year I will likely grab a 5900X anyhow. Cheers for input.

Totally agree the hardware these days is so optimised there's not much left to squeeze out. My last platform was an i7 5820K + X99 board and the first OC option in the BIOS added 600 MHz to the boost clock without any effort. I am seeing 10% gain in CB20 which is more than I was expecting but to me that's a benchmark as I mostly game anyway. Gamer Mode is probably still the best way to game on the 3900X for now anyway.

Associate
Looks like the dev has possibly found the issue and a fix for those of us having problems on gigabyte boards.

https://twitter.com/1usmus/status/1312085959731752960

1f525.svg

CTR and nearest plans
1f525.svg

Hello, everybody! My colleague Vadym Kosmin offered me an idea, how to improve the algorithm, so that you no longer have BSOD. I plan to release this update in a few days. It will also improve compatibility with ASRock and Gigabyte motherboards.

Soldato
Not a great result with my early batch 3600. This is with an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo cooler with the CPU topping at 65 degrees on the benchmark run. Memory is G.Skill Ripjaws running with the default XMP profile.

RvNzYCA.png

Associate
I actually took the OC off that I got with CTR - While it made benchmarks such as Cinebench score higher it made gaming benchmarks and real life game fps worse

Soldato
Can anyone confirm how to roll back any changes this has made please?

Just a case of Reset Profile? Completely lost interest in it now that I've thought about it as any gaming benefits are pretty much zero and I've read a few times now negative performance in games

Associate
Yeah the point of the tool is too find a stable all core max o/c at a certain (hopefully lower) voltage but this will obviously be at the expense of a lower max single core boost.
It is also a little conservative on the voltage and PBO limits, PPT, TDC, EDC.

3900X on Aorus Pro, PPT/TDC/EDC
Mobo default PBO 142/95/140
Mobo max PBO 9xx/4xx/4xx (can't remember the exact numbers here but one of the PBO settings in bios shows numbers in this range in RM)
CTR default PBO 175/115/170
I think CTR will also limit itself to 1.35v or 1.3v.

At the moment I'm testing manual PBO at 180/120/177 as that seems a nice balance between perf and temp, better perf than the 142/95/140. A lot less heat, slightly lower perf, than the stupidly high bios max values.

If you know what you are doing with BIOS overclocking and have the time to test and dial it all in you're going to get better results.

But I think the tool is good for people who don't have the time and also for those that do but want to find some quick starting values to base an o/c or u/v off of.

To roll back changes I think you just need to make sure the option to load profile at log in is turned off.
I believe if that is enabled it adds a scheduled task to apply the profile.
So just make sure that option is turned off and that there is no scheduled task.
It also stores temp files in "%localappdata%\Nemesis_UIv2" , removing that should restore it's default settings if you run it again.

Associate
Can anyone confirm how to roll back any changes this has made please?

Just a case of Reset Profile? Completely lost interest in it now that I've thought about it as any gaming benefits are pretty much zero and I've read a few times now negative performance in games

Just unclick the option to load the profile at boot and then reboot the computer

The OC is only valid until the computer reboots as its not done in the bios

Associate
Having tried various OCs and both in BIOS and out using software like CTR & Ryzen Master I came to the conclusion that its mostly pointless outside of trying to get high synthetic bench scores

In all cases single core performance suffers and gaming fps suffers too

It really does seem better to just leave Ryzen as it comes and let the BIOS boost it as it sees fit

Soldato
Having tried various OCs and both in BIOS and out using software like CTR & Ryzen Master I came to the conclusion that its mostly pointless outside of trying to get high synthetic bench scores

In all cases single core performance suffers and gaming fps suffers too

It really does seem better to just leave Ryzen as it comes and let the BIOS boost it as it sees fit

That's because you, along with most of the forum on here just don't understand how Ryzen works.
If you are only interested in clocking via Ryzen master and by CTR, then you have to accept that you really have little to no control over bios settings from that point onwards. Most changes you make in the bios will be over ridden by Ryzen master and CTR as soon as you are booted to Windows.
The most important decision peeps should make is, do i want to clock by the bios or Ryzen master. The reality is it has to be one or the other......................you simply can't mix both together and expect the best result. If you want to do things through just the bios, then simply do not install Ryzen Master.

Back
Top Bottom