• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
How much behind the 3080 was it in the end? Significant or decently close? Im assuming its hard to really tell because 0 idea about test conditions.

We don't know the testing conditions but the settings were listed and we can only assume it was the canned benchmarks - the only safe conclusion really was that AMD have a card which exceed Turing's performance level beyond that it is unknowns.

I think in the end people put it in the range of single digit percent behind the 3080 (also it was on development drivers so probably a touch slower than release drivers).

Soldato
Thats why they are posting it.
Fear
Uncertainty
Doubt

I even fell for it.
But like you said it's pure garbo

Lol. Which cryptos are you still clinging on to?

I'll requote this when we find it doesnt support AMD RT. The card isn't even out yet and you think developers have magically incorporated it. I think you forget how long it took nvidia to get RTX games. Took like 6+ months even though developers had RTX working in tech demos on launch.

Man of Honour
I'll requote this when we find it doesnt support AMD RT. The card isn't even out yet and you think developers have magically incorporated it. I think you forget how long it took nvidia to get RTX games. Took like 6+ months even though developers had RTX working in tech demos on launch.

While in practise developers won't just fire and forget in theory with DXR the application developer doesn't have to worry about what is going on underneath including vendor - they just invoke the DXR calls and in theory the drivers/hardware should return the expected result - in practise doesn't quite work like that though.

Vulkan is a different story as currently only nVidia explicit render paths exist so short of a wrapper or emulation layer applications would need recoding to support anything else.

Associate
Folks, very sorry if this has been covered already, as far as I can see there has been no benchies or estimates on how the AMD variants will perform?

Right let me break it up for ya:

Screenshot-20-768x432.png

3 x Hand picked benches which look on par with 3080.
Probably top end NAVI SKU
Running on the best gaming CPU - aka Ryzen 3.

That's all we got atm.

#######################################

Taking a page out of history:
On Radeon VII release three cherry picked benches where used then and compared to 2080.

radeon-7-worlds-first-7nm-gpu-amd-2.JPG

Real results showed it to be 14% slower than 2080 @ 1440p
10% slower at 4K
relative-performance_2560-1440.png

So you are probably looking at 3080 -minus 10% at 4K for top end Navi SKU.
Note : Thats not taking in the Ray tracing, which will make that gap bigger.

Now if you could price it a smidge over 3070, maybe at let say £549, give us good availability and stock. And AMD are on a winner.
At least until the 3070TI comes out.

Soldato
Lol. Which cryptos are you still clinging on to?

While in practise developers won't just fire and forget in theory with DXR the application developer doesn't have to worry about what is going on underneath including vendor - they just invoke the DXR calls and in theory the drivers/hardware should return the expected result - in practise doesn't quite work like that though.

Vulkan is a different story as currently only nVidia explicit render paths exist so short of a wrapper or emulation layer applications would need recoding to support anything else.

@muon
Furthermore, I was responding to the post indicating that the article didn't provide the details as mentioned throughout this thread.
Next time do a little research before spewing out nonesense.
:D

Man of Honour
PS The DX12 RT design goals:

• Implementation agnostic
    • Support for hardware with or without dedicated raytracing acceleration via single programming model

• Expected variances in hardware capability are captured in a clean feature progression, if necessary at all

In theory even untested if a game implements RT through DX12 properly checking against caps instead of vendor, etc. as long as the drivers support it it should just run.

Soldato
Right let me break it up for ya:

Screenshot-20-768x432.png

3 x Hand picked benches which look on par with 3080.
Probably top end NAVI SKU
Running on the best gaming CPU - aka Ryzen 3.

That's all we got atm.

#######################################

Taking a page out of history:
On Radeon VII release three cherry picked benches where used then and compared to 2080.

radeon-7-worlds-first-7nm-gpu-amd-2.JPG

10% slower at 4K
relative-performance_2560-1440.png

So you are probably looking at 3080 -minus 10% at 4K for top end Navi SKU.
Note : Thats not taking in the Ray tracing, which will make that gap bigger.

Now if you could price it a smidge over 3070, maybe at let say £549, give us good availability and stock. And AMD are on a winner.
At least until the 3070TI comes out.
Doubt it will be that slow. No way bro

Soldato

Just need to price it better than the one card Nvidia is holding back stock and information on for the purpose of seeing AMDs launch first.

All this needs is a 2 day postponement of prices from AMD and we get to see who can be the most petty about releasing prices and the millions of dollars at stake.

Soldato
just remember to quote me when these cards are sold out after 1 minute on launch day ;)
I am supprised you're expecting them not to. Remember where covid rocked the world. Ohh wait it still is.

Sorry for the super sarcasm but i find it very optimistic to see plentyful cards on release where there will be the most demand for them with a short supply. Working in IT i never thought we would struggle to source Webcams, 4K monitors or even struggle to source pre built gaming desktops from multiple suppliers. But since covid struck we have seen lots of stock shortages.

I remember when getting hold of toilet paper was difficult. Do you think the supply of that was low too? lol.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate

10% slower at 4K

So you are probably looking at 3080 -minus 10% at 4K for top end Navi SKU
Vega VII is legitimately faster in these three titles at 4k. Without using tricks like RTX or DLSS

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I am supprised you're expecting them not to. Remember where covid rocked the world. Ohh wait it still is.

Sorry for the super sarcasm but i find it very optimistic to see plentyful cards on release where there will be the most demand for them with a short supply. Working in IT i never thought we would struggle to source Webcams, 4K monitors or even struggle to source pre built gaming desktops from multiple suppliers. But since covid struck we have seen lots of stock shortages.

I remember when getting hold of toilet paper was difficult. Do you think the supply of that was low too? lol.

Yeah we had trouble in spells getting laptops for our staff. All them dusty boxes of Logitech webcams etc in Argos, man the manufacturers must have loved seeing all the dead inventory finally go!

Man of Honour
Yeah we had trouble in spells getting laptops for our staff. All them dusty boxes of Logitech webcams etc in Argos, man the manufacturers must have loved seeing all the dead inventory finally go!

I work in distribution and it has been kind of funny seeing some dead stock moving, as it has become relevant in this situation and/or is the closest now available alternative to something in demand but has become unavailable either due to demand in this situation and/or because the situation has impacted on production, covered in dust because the stock has obviously sat around for quite some time.

Soldato
Don't get me started on Laptops. I'm sick of getting test units to ensure they are suitable before trying to pick a couple that will be the standard for the business. Then we do it goes EOL few months later, got me raging! Never had to mess about with getting task sequences working for imaging so much.

Aye all the chinese branded webcams shot to the top in amazon lol.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I work in distribution and it has been kind of funny seeing some dead stock moving, as it has become relevant in this situation and/or is the closest now available alternative to something in demand but has become unavailable either due to demand in this situation and/or because the situation has impacted on production, covered in dust because the stock has obviously sat around for quite some time.

I could only laugh hearing people rage over the only webcam available was some obscure flavour that was marked up in price and they had to buy it then put in an expense claim to get the money back later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom