Resident Evil Village

Soldato
I really didnt enjoy 7 because of the lack of gun play...bit scary for me lol. Is this like a mix of 7 and 4?

It's a mishmatch of styles and is totally bonkers in a fun way. More like 4 (although not as good) than 7. Lots of weapons to collect and upgrade.

Soldato
Haha yeah totally bonkers but I loved it. More like 4 than 7 which is no bad thing. The section where you have no weapons was by far the scariest for me. I didn't find 7 scary at all. Tense at times but not scary. I played through 7 then played this one straight after.

Soldato
Same ^ I gave up on 7 near the end somewhere but this one had me hooked all the way to the end. Played it again two more times in quick succession and then decided to sell it. I don't really find games scary at all, this one has a nice eerie part to it in the dolls house. I look forward to playing this one again in a few months time but for now I think I may give re7 another shot.

Associate
Dolls house was certainly creepy, I jumped a good few times. I've never really played much 'horror' style stuff, but it's really good. Just up to the bit where I have to lower the level of the water in the reservoir.

Soldato
Have fun with the REALLLY REALLLLLLY tough puzzle at the end of that level.

LOL Joking! :cry: I really wish they had bumped up the difficulty of the puzzles in this game. They were very few and far to easy.

Soldato
I'm playing through this again but this time on the hardest difficulty - vos. I'm upto the Heisenberg boss. I only had a few tries before I got tired and called it a day but it was extremely difficult, I was dead with barely 2-3 hits even when trying to block. Anyone completed this on village of shadows?

Soldato
I'm not looking forward to that part at all lol, it was tricky enough on hardcore with wave after wave of enemies. The infinite ammo guns need reloading too often and at the worst moments!

Man of Honour
Being one of the biggest RE fans around, I’m sure you are all absolutely dying to know what I made of number 8. I had it on release day but I was only able to get round to it over new year! Ridiculous!

I went in pretty much 100% blind…. and I thoroughly enjoyed Village. It was exactly as I wanted: a hybrid of RE4 and RE7. I think the cocktail of horror / treasure hunting / weapon upgrading / spooks was probably the most appealing it has ever been to me and I would very much like the same going forward, albeit with better execution as there were some things that are a little off (especially on repeated play-throughs):

Far more playful with wider and traditional horror/monster lore. We have werewolf’s, vampires and ‘ghosts’ (in the form of hallucinations). I really enjoyed that they expanded from the now extremely tired ‘zombies by another name’. Zombies are so overrated anyway.

Lycans are a decent, dangerous core enemy - show strength, intelligence and agility.

The four ‘lords’ were like a silly, fun ‘universal classic monsters’ version of the Baker family from RE7.

The RE4 treasure hunting and weapon upgrading is back. Yes! Oh god, yes. The hunting for treats and treasures is most fun. Speaking of which…

The Duke - marvellous character. Odd, weird, unexplainable… I particularly enjoyed his line about the dead body having a good waistline.

Castle lady was terrifying! Her daughters were recreations of ‘Hookman’ from RE3.5, if anyone is familiar with that.

Decent humour and fan service sprinkled in, particularly when Heisenberg calls Chris a Boulder puncher :D

Superb ridiculousness at times - I had to pause as I was laughing uncontrollably at the reveal of the ludicrous tank vehicle you get to drive.

The castle section was sublime. The factory and village areas were also very good.

Excellent ‘special enemy’ encounters with the four footed werewolves and giant axe-men.

Not a truly solid story but it was an intriguing journey. I’m sad that Ethan is now out of the story.

Beautiful graphics and amazing audio, particularly the audio down in the dungeons in the castle when the female enemies spawn and the music swells in… terrifying.

There are quite lengthy ‘set piece’ sections of the game that take you away from the ‘meat’ of the good experience. The puppet section is tense when you don’t know what’s coming but it then feels a bit of a ‘creep chore’ on replays. The ‘fish section’ seems extravagant but isn’t hugely exciting… more fighting enemies, please. This wouldn’t be so much of a problem if the game was not…

…too short. It feels about half the length of RE4 (probably closer 2/3). If there was, maybe, a second village added to the map, or another ‘castle section’, the world would feel so much bigger. It upsets me on replays that nothing can touch the early ‘castle section’. I was thinking, and hoping, that every section would be just as involved.

The Chris section at the end of the game is so redundant. No treasure hunting, too much ammo, macho action music and ‘Navy Seals’ airdrops and weaponry…. Just, no. Please keep this out of the series as far as possible. The Heisenberg boss fight was a silly, laughable spectacle that I enjoyed but it felt like another chore on a replay when I knew there were few good bits remaining of the game from that point.

Please also keep the ‘conspiracy / agency’ stuff far away from the series too. I don’t care for the BSAA / corrupt organisation things. I don’t want to hear about ‘classified’ information or anything like that, it’s extremely generic and very boring.

*RE7 spoiler below*

Nothing got my adrenaline pumping and intrigue on max alert quite like the surprise move to the boat in RE7… which was a huge woooooah moment.

Even though it was subsequently explained, the reattachment of the hand was a bit too silly at the time.

If only the game was as substantial as RE4… phwoar, can you imagine.

For a first time play-throughough, brilliant, flaws revealed on replays. Definitely the right balance of what I want to see - I’m just wishing and willing them to increase the abundance of the good bits for number 9.

Good times :)

Edit - tagging you @TNA as we have had some chats on the other games in the series :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just started this...the first little fight. I wasted all my bullets on him...should i restart and just use my knife? I got the impression its a fight i cant win.

Soldato
Just started this...the first little fight. I wasted all my bullets on him...should i restart and just use my knife? I got the impression its a fight i cant win.

You mean the big guy with the hammer?

Nah you just have to hold out on that attack then a cutscene with play and then you progress. I found that if you get the timing down to block and then stab you can get through the whole section till the first big ;) boss by being a bit stabby and saving ammo.

Back
Top Bottom