Energy Suppliers

Soldato
No worries, I just got an email from Igloo for yet another price increase. It’s the second or third this year. They say they are still one of the cheapest but I’ll be back on the comparison sites tonight….

Associate
No worries, I just got an email from Igloo for yet another price increase. It’s the second or third this year. They say they are still one of the cheapest but I’ll be back on the comparison sites tonight….
Are you on a fixed or variable rate? If it's fixed surely they can't increase it?

Associate
On the subject of moving, I'm on a fixed tariff at my current address until April next year but I should be moving soon as my chain was complete about 3 weeks ago. Once I move is that contract nul and void? I suppose I need to inform them on the day I move that I've left the property and submit readings so they can give me a final bill. Then the contract is done I'm assuming.

Soldato
I couldn't get onto eon next, I was told I would have needed to be migrated from npower.

Best tariff I can find is with BRITISH GAS EVOLVE through uswitch via quidco with £36 cashback.

Tariff: Exclusive energy plus cover v12
24 months.
Includes central heating breakdown cover (£99 excess)
ELEC: Unit rate 19.109p elec
Standing charge 16.540
GAS: Unit rate 4.134
Standing charge 14.666

I can't find anything cheaper. Thing is, it also has central heating breakdown cover
Includes Central Heating Breakdown Cover (£99 excess), Plumbing, Drains and Electrics Cover (£60 excess) valued at £138 per year. This cover is an introductory offer for the first 12 months that will automatically renew at an average cost of £11.50/month

That looks like it'll be handy. I've got an issue with my boiler pressure going down when the heating is on.The boiler is not the issue, that works fine and has been serviced. But I've been told that there must be a leak under the flooring somewhere in my flat. I just asked british gas if that would be covered and was told that any pipes connected to the boiler would be covered, so that would save me several hundred quid.

Soldato
Are you on a fixed or variable rate? If it's fixed surely they can't increase it?

Variable, I rarely fix these days and in 2020 it paid dividends when the prices dropped significantly. Fixes tend to be a more expensive than variable, the house almost always wins.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I couldn't get onto eon next, I was told I would have needed to be migrated from npower.

Best tariff I can find is with BRITISH GAS EVOLVE through uswitch via quidco with £36 cashback.

Tariff: Exclusive energy plus cover v12
24 months.
Includes central heating breakdown cover (£99 excess)
ELEC: Unit rate 19.109p elec
Standing charge 16.540
GAS: Unit rate 4.134
Standing charge 14.666

I can't find anything cheaper. Thing is, it also has central heating breakdown cover
Includes Central Heating Breakdown Cover (£99 excess), Plumbing, Drains and Electrics Cover (£60 excess) valued at £138 per year. This cover is an introductory offer for the first 12 months that will automatically renew at an average cost of £11.50/month

That looks like it'll be handy. I've got an issue with my boiler pressure going down when the heating is on.The boiler is not the issue, that works fine and has been serviced. But I've been told that there must be a leak under the flooring somewhere in my flat. I just asked british gas if that would be covered and was told that any pipes connected to the boiler would be covered, so that would save me several hundred quid.
I know this varies area to area, but this seems extremely expensive to me? I cannot get gas, but others are quoting gas unit rates in the 2xx's, and i have today run a uswitch comparison for my house which puts electricity at 12p/unit with a 10p/day standing charge... Not even in the same ballpark as the above, it cant vary that much area to area can it? :p

Soldato
It’s expensive because it includes boiler cover.

where do you live to get those rates? I don’t think anyone is offering anything below 15/16p these days for electric.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It’s expensive because it includes boiler cover.

where do you live to get those rates? I don’t think anyone is offering anything below 15/16p these days for electric.
Oxfordshire (rural)...

These are the leading rates here (in blue, red is the "we are so cheap compared with this typical silly tariff"):
aqrOD9r.png

I have no gas here, but if you read up, people are buying that in the 2's...

Soldato
Elec:
18.9p/ kWh
23.50p day standing charge
Annual 3676.10 kWh

Gas:
3.31p/ kWh
25.68p day standing charge
Annual 9479.00 kWh

Anyone quote me happy? :)

Associate
I was really trying to find a 24 month fix when I renewed my plan, they seem to be very hard to find.

No exit fees on my E on Next, but there's nothing cheaper. I'm not looking forward to when this one ends.

Soldato
Why would you want a 24 month fix when prices are at a 13 year high :confused:
Elec:
18.9p/ kWh
23.50p day standing charge
Annual 3676.10 kWh

Gas:
3.31p/ kWh
25.68p day standing charge
Annual 9479.00 kWh

Anyone quote me happy? :)

No because we can’t. Go to one of the comparison sites and put in your details. They’ll quote you happy, just make sure you tick the box to show you the whole market and not just what they can switch you to.

Associate
Same here they are going up

Current Prices Until 1st Aug 2021 ELECTRIC Standing charge Unit rate 22.640p per day 15.049p/kWh : New Prices 23.320p per day 16.930p/kWh

GAS Standing charge Unit rate 26.075p per day 2.624p/kWh : New Prices 26.600p per day 3.018p/kWh

I was with OVO at the start of the year, switched to Bulb who increased twice, I've only been with Iglo for two weeks and it's gone up 12.1%

Soldato
Is there a clause that if they do a price increase, you can switch without fees?

If not that seems really scummy - advertise a low price to get people to switch then increase it right away?
igloo is a fully variable provider as I already posted, they only have one tariff and the price has gone up for every customer

If you are on a viable tariff you can leave without penalty, that's the point. Most people who use these providers tend to just cycle through them collecting new referral discounts each time.

Back
Top Bottom