Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So the fans who boo'd the England players for taking a knee are now filling Rashford's, Saka's and Sancho's social media with racist abuse and monkey symbols. Showing their true colours again the horrible racist scum. I wish they'd all **** off out of this country :mad:
Yea i saw that. ******* sick.

How instagram and the like allow this is absolutely wrong

Caporegime
For the first time in the tournament, England looked gassed and Italy just passed it around like we weren't even there. Italy would have won in regular time if Chiesa hadn't gone off injured.
England were poor, and the best team won.

Aside from that opening two minutes England really struggled to string passes together. The whole team was disconnected and disjointed.

Then the lack of subs and the poor timing of the subs. Showed little attacking intent and every desire to go to penalties.

England were too negative and in a way I'm glad that wasn't rewarded. I still dream of watching England play relentless attacking football. Will it always be a dream tho...

Soldato
I read ederson, thought emerson and the brain didn;t do the dots. Garbling the club is an embarassment though, even after beers and whisky.

Don
What im saying is, is that the miniscule difference in ball striking ability at that level isn't as important as experience/psychology (ie doing well under pressure).

They will all have superb technique at actually kicking a dead ball.
I disagree that the difference is miniscule, if it was then you wouldn't have certain players with far superior penalty records to others. Michael Owen had a terrible penalty record throughout his career (it probably got worse with age in fact). It had nothing to do with psychology - he was somebody that always wanted to take pens and was ice cool in front of goal and yet he scored barely half that he took (for Liverpool at least). Compare his record to somebody like a Robbie Fowler and tell me what was the difference. Fowler would strike a ball like a pro golfer hitting a drive down the fairway -with next to no backlift he could ping the ball into top corners from 25 yards. Owen on the other hand, like Sterling, would try a shot for 20 yards and it would end up bobbling 5 yards wide.

Given how we've got on picking experienced players in penalty shootouts in the past, I'm not sure how you can blame today's loss simply on the fact that the players who missed were younger players. It's a lazy excuse for today's loss and whoever took and missed the pens we'd be saying x or y should have taken them instead. Sometimes you just have to say **** happens.

Soldato
England were poor, and the best team won.

Aside from that opening two minutes England really struggled to string passes together. The whole team was disconnected and disjointed.

Then the lack of subs and the poor timing of the subs. Showed little attacking intent and every desire to go to penalties.

England were too negative and in a way I'm glad that wasn't rewarded. I still dream of watching England play relentless attacking football. Will it always be a dream tho...
so Keegan for manager then?

Soldato
Have to say I’ve never been the biggest fan of Walker, Stones or Maguire at club level as they’ve often been guilty of a clanger but this tournament (along with Shaw of course) they’ve been rock solid.

Maguire came in half fit at the start of the tournament and played great really.

There’s a hell of a lot of talent in this squad (maybe bar up front we’re a bit thin bar Kane).

Southgates got to deliver in Qatar now though there won’t be any more low expectations and acceptance of making semis as a good result.

Caporegime
So the fans who boo'd the England players for taking a knee are now filling Rashford's, Saka's and Sancho's social media with racist abuse and monkey symbols. Showing their true colours again the horrible racist scum. I wish they'd all **** off out of this country :mad:
I knew this would happen, I even said to my missus that if I was those 3 I’d delete my social media accounts. ******* disgusting scumbags, English football fans dont themselves no favours whatsoever.

Gutted for England tonight, after 1996 where I swore I’d never support them. I honestly believed this time they would do it but wasn’t meant to be. Thought England were superb in the first few mins of the game but getting that early goal was great but I knew Italy would get an equaliser within normal time. We looked good in the second 15 mins of ET but didn’t think we would score.
Absolutely hate penalties, worst way to decide a final.

Anyhow onto the WC and praying we can get to the final and rectify our mistakes from the euros.

Proud of the boys and what they achieved in the euros this year.

Soldato
I knew this would happen, I even said to my missus that if I was those 3 I’d delete my social media accounts. ******* disgusting scumbags, English football fans dont themselves no favours whatsoever.

Gutted for England tonight, after 1996 where I swore I’d never support them. I honestly believed this time they would do it but wasn’t meant to be. Thought England were superb in the first few mins of the game but getting that early goal was great but I knew Italy would get an equaliser within normal time. We looked good in the second 15 mins of ET but didn’t think we would score.
Absolutely hate penalties, worst way to decide a final.

Anyhow onto the WC and praying we can get to the final and rectify our mistakes from the euros.

Proud of the boys and what they achieved in the euros this year.
yeah proud of the team, every one of them. I just wish Southgate would have more guts to use the subs and try to mix it up a bit when we're struggling and they've changed system and are choking us out the game.

Soldato
Italy were the better team over the whole game but neither side created a boat load of good opportunities to score and you don’t have to be the best team to win. Shaw hit that peach early which was about the only good chance other than some headers that sailed over but the team defended well most of the time. Italy put away one of the two big chances they had and defended well most of the time too, even if some of it was cynical and annoying. Fine margins.

The frustration will be that we went from looking like being in complete control and containing them most of the first half to falling apart by the end of it, and Southgate doing nothing to fix that, doing nothing after we conceded and just following a plan on paper that didn’t seem to relate to what was going on in real-time. As usual it ended up being penalties and only 2/5 coped with the pressure. Could have won that with better decision making, shouldn’t have needed to chance it on spot kicks.

Soldato
Italy were the better team over the whole game but neither side created a boat load of good opportunities to score and you don’t have to be the best team to win. Shaw hit that peach early which was about the only good chance other than some headers that sailed over but the team defended well most of the time. Italy put away one of the two big chances they had and defended well most of the time too, even if some of it was cynical and annoying. Fine margins.

The frustration will be that we went from looking like being in complete control and containing them most of the first half to falling apart by the end of it, and Southgate doing nothing to fix that, doing nothing after we conceded and just following a plan on paper that didn’t seem to relate to what was going on in real-time. As usual it ended up being penalties and only 2/5 coped with the pressure. Could have won that with better decision making, shouldn’t have needed to chance it on spot kicks.
Yup, agreed. This is kind of what quite a few people have been saying. And that's the frustrating thing for me, not the losing, the constancy of it. It's like watching it unfold in slow motion. A bit like the 100 point turn in Austin Powers, only in that he does make the turn, whereas we just carried on driving towards the steam roller.

Caporegime
Apart from beating Germany 2-0 was there any other decent result on the way?

I mean going to extra time against Denmark surely should have prepared you for this? It's a nation of just 5 million people.

After Belgium's first game with their squad I knew they weren't going to win it so I was going with France but they were hopeless as well throwing away a 3-1 lead. The tactics were completely wrong with Belgium and he stuck with them because his world class players managed to pull them off. But there is only so much de bruyne and co could do and it was the Italians who finally showed them the door.

Italy weren't magnificent but they were set up right and had a decent squad and plenty of talent to make it work. They bested teams of an ilk of much higher quality than what England did bar Germany.

England quite frankly were lucky to get this far. World cup will prove this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom