• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700 XT Owners Thread

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
I've noticed that my 6700xt is also extremely warm. Hot spot/Junction temp goes to over 100 using the reference cooler even after a repaste, air flow is not an issue, and with a very effective 3rd party cooler it has no issue getting to around 90-95ish playing certain games like Last Epoch.

Now here is where it gets interesting. That is when using Windows. I'm currently using Pop_os(Linux) and while I haven't found a program that can read the hot spot temp the normal edge temp is lower compared to when running the same game in windows using stock gpu settings, card is being utilized 99% in both scenarios.

There are videos on youtube by a guy who does comparisons between Windows gaming and Linux and in one showcase the fps was identical yet in Linux the 6700XT sipped 20 watts less. It's weird and interesting.

EDIT: Funny how you always find what you are looking for after you said you couldn't. There is a tool called netdata which shows junction temp and I can see that my junction temp is around 82c using Linux, which is fan-bliping-tastic.

Last edited:
Associate
Given up figuring out why on earth the GPU "hot spot" is so hot. Changed the case front panel to mesh which at least in theory should give the maximum airflow to the components. Didn't help, really. Temperatures still almost 100 c. The core temperature never goes over 70, usually reaching high 60's. Maybe hot spot temperature has something to do with the high clocks of the gpu, read somewhere earlier that in fact RX6700XT is the "fastest" Mhz card available.

Caporegime
Given up figuring out why on earth the GPU "hot spot" is so hot. Changed the case front panel to mesh which at least in theory should give the maximum airflow to the components. Didn't help, really. Temperatures still almost 100 c. The core temperature never goes over 70, usually reaching high 60's. Maybe hot spot temperature has something to do with the high clocks of the gpu, read somewhere earlier that in fact RX6700XT is the "fastest" Mhz card available.
Hot spot is the hottest part of the die.

Associate
I have the MSI RX6700 XT Gaming X. Temp at idle is 29-31 degrees, gaming on cod4 with everything to the max it doesnt go above 40 degrees. Hell Let Loose is another kettle of fish, temps show 60-70 degrees but the hotspot at one point was showing 100-110, all graphics settings a mix of high/epic. Had a look at some of the forums out there and it seemed on certain screens the gpu worked overtime unless vsync was enabled, have done this and the hotspot has calmed down to 80-85 degrees. I noticed that some companies are starting to do aftermarket waterblocks for the RX6800/6900 range. Hope someone decides to do the same for the RX6700 XT range.

Caporegime
I have the MSI RX6700 XT Gaming X. Temp at idle is 29-31 degrees, gaming on cod4 with everything to the max it doesnt go above 40 degrees. Hell Let Loose is another kettle of fish, temps show 60-70 degrees but the hotspot at one point was showing 100-110, all graphics settings a mix of high/epic. Had a look at some of the forums out there and it seemed on certain screens the gpu worked overtime unless vsync was enabled, have done this and the hotspot has calmed down to 80-85 degrees. I noticed that some companies are starting to do aftermarket waterblocks for the RX6800/6900 range. Hope someone decides to do the same for the RX6700 XT range.
You might have dry thermal paste causing the large delta between edge and junction (hot spot) temps. Or perhaps it’s just a bad mount between die and heat sink.

Associate
Been using a sapphiro nitro plus for the past few months, absolute little beast of a card, even at 1440p it can perform! Very happy with the card and performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been using a sapphiro nitro plus for the past few months, absolute little beast of a card, even at 1440p it can perform! Very happy with the card and performance.

Absolutely so, it really does pack a punch. Has been a monster upgrade in grunt from my old Radeon VII across the board, more than I was expecting. Recently upgraded to a 34" UW panel and it's had no problems at all either on what I play :)

Soldato
I’ve got a Nitro+ as well and I am really pleased with it. Was it expensive? Yes, especially too much when compared against the FE cards. But that’s another thing altogether.

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard such a quiet GPU in my life. It’s amazing. The entire system is so so quiet now even under full load, not sure I could ever go back to something louder.

Caporegime
I’ve got a Nitro+ as well and I am really pleased with it. Was it expensive? Yes, especially too much when compared against the FE cards. But that’s another thing altogether.

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard such a quiet GPU in my life. It’s amazing. The entire system is so so quiet now even under full load, not sure I could ever go back to something louder.
Sapphire cards are great and I take your point about noise.

Speaking from the experience of using a Sapphire 6900 XT Toxic Extreme Edition running at a clock speed of 2800Mhz in games, sipping less than 400W of power and running in complete silence, with hotspot temps not going over 80c.

I can say it's a beautiful thing. :)

Soldato
Sapphire cards are great and I take your point about noise.

Speaking from the experience of using a Sapphire 6900 XT Toxic Extreme Edition running at a clock speed of 2800Mhz in games, sipping less than 400W of power and running in complete silence, with hotspot temps not going over 80c.

I can say it's a beautiful thing. :)

While Sapphire cooler designs are for the most part very good, I do believe that results such as yours comes from better silicon as well. My reference 6700XT, with a BIG custom cooler and 2x140mm SP fans, can't keep the hotspot under 84c and thats with a 90mv undervolt applied and multi reseats(where most were perfect). But don't get me wrong, Sapphire cards are one of the go to brands and has consistency to its name.

Caporegime
While Sapphire cooler designs are for the most part very good, I do believe that results such as yours comes from better silicon as well. My reference 6700XT, with a BIG custom cooler and 2x140mm SP fans, can't keep the hotspot under 84c and thats with a 90mv undervolt applied and multi reseats(where most were perfect). But don't get me wrong, Sapphire cards are one of the go to brands and has consistency to its name.
The Toxic Extreme is also using a 360MM AIO to be fair. :)

Associate
You might have dry thermal paste causing the large delta between edge and junction (hot spot) temps. Or perhaps it’s just a bad mount between die and heat sink.

Checked and to be honest could see no issues but still put some new paste on. Didnt see much of a difference with the hot spot temps. I have now slightly undervolted the card to 1175mv and so far whn playing hell let loose the hotspot hasnt gone above 63 degrees and gpu temp 45-55 degrees

Back
Top Bottom