Afghanistan - 20 years on

Soldato
As Afghanistan goes through its 19th? nervous breakdown, I am pleased to see that a few column inches recording the life and works of Charlie Watts are present in the pages of the UK newspapers, but sad news for the family.

Soldato
The ending may be worse.
How many will be left behind?

But Biden promised that no one would be.
Then you might as well compare this to every bloody war lol.
Vietnam didnt have about a year of full well heads up of "hey, we are leaving". Only without the pomp of peace accords that meant nothing, like Trumps deal, its meant nothing. Also Afgans had months to go and leave whilst still under US occupation, they didnt, they all woke up and went " Ohh yea Taliban bad, for about that better leave one day before they are at my door. My only upset with locals is Translators if they had been awarded citizenship from the Armies countries they served.

And no the ending wont be anywhere near "Worse" than what Vietnam could have been, mostly in sheer loss of US troops and civilian life in Vietnam and total destruction caused.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right, I've been watching some Adam Curtis videos, so I would conclude that as far as the Americans are concerned they don't care about Muslims wanting to radicalise their own country and leave everyone else alone. The Americans are quite happy with the taliban in power.

What has been bad is the lieing to the ordinary Afghans who took them at their word. In all honesty the Americans just don't care.

Soldato
What do we think will happen, if the Taliban or some other terrorist, hits a plane with an RPG or something, as the final planes are leaving (suppose they take a C17 down)? I think there's a good chance that could happen towards the end, when the troops pull back and chaos ensues? Do we think the allied forces would retaliate, or would they run away with their tails between their legs?

Soldato
What do we think will happen, if the Taliban or some other terrorist, hits a plane with an RPG or something, as the final planes are leaving (suppose they take a C17 down)? I think there's a good chance that could happen towards the end, when the troops pull back and chaos ensues? Do we think the allied forces would retaliate, or would they run away with their tails between their legs?

I don't see why the Taliban would to that and ruin international relationships, just when they are trying to be taken seriously as the official govt. They could have rushed the airport at the start.

Soldato
I don't see why the Taliban would to that and ruin international relationships, just when they are trying to be taken seriously as the official govt. They could have rushed the airport at the start.

The Taliban who are currently executing people who are trying to get out? I also doubt that the Taliban have that much control over their ranks, I imagine plenty of them would like to 'have a go' as the final coalition forces pull out.

https://news.sky.com/story/afghanis...ation-by-uk-and-its-allies-uk-source-12390390

Soldato
There was always that risk regardless of how it was done. I would have said that it would have made more sense to do the evacuation from Bagram for this reason. But they could have overrun that once the troops leaving reduced in number.

Soldato
I see that 80 refugees have gone to birmingham..poor sods :D

Instant regret the second they take a look at the place. I think Kabul might actually be a cleaner place these days.

I think it's council only care about 1 square mile in the center, the rest is a ghetto.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I see that 80 refugees have gone to birmingham..poor sods :D

The Afghan robotics team got evacuated to... Mexico... no offence to Mexico and I have no idea why they ended up there but why on earth didn't they get moved to the US or better Canada who were actually championing them getting out.

Soldato
Absolutely disgusting on several levels , Biden and the west should be ashamed.

It looks like we have 48 hours to pull out 2000 more Uk citizens and Afghan support staff . Some will be left at the mercy of the Taliban.

The British soldiers with boots on the ground are from my local regiment 16 air assault brigade - these guys have been making literal life changing decisions for people at the gates of Kabul airport . As someone who served myself I would not have wanted to be in there shoes - anyone who is going to be judgemental on them best not bump into me , these guys are going to be pretty traumatised for a while.

I honestly believe this is Vietnam 2.0 and I just can’t see anymore joint operation with the US being taken up again any time soon .

Back
Top Bottom