Energy Suppliers

Soldato
I'm not sure if they stack. But just found EDF have 120 cashback (quidco) on 2 year fix. And 75 credit?
There is a 30 pound exit fee. But cash back would Cover that.

My unit cost was 21p for electricity. So 1p more than cheapest.
I'm guessing the 200 cash would cover that.
Thanks for the info, Now you have me 2nd guessing what to do lol

I've not found the £75 credit info but did find the cashback but like you, I don't know if it will stack.
also EDF will be £15 a month more than the Avro plan

also noticed SSE offer offering £130 cashback,
£10 more
I dont know how likely it will be that I would get cashback, a lot of cashback get declined or take over 6 months to get approved.

Also i assume the cashaback won't work with the referrals

Soldato
You have to be careful when looking at cash back sites, the tariffs available through comparison sites are often not the same as those available direct or via cash back sites. Comparison sites often have ‘exclusive’ tariffs for new customers which are not available direct.

Things like cash back and referrals often don’t stack. When you go through the cash back link it often takes you to a ‘quidco’ section of the site which has quidco only tariffs.

Caporegime
You have to be careful when looking at cash back sites, the tariffs available through comparison sites are often not the same as those available direct or via cash back sites. Comparison sites often have ‘exclusive’ tariffs for new customers which are not available direct.

Things like cash back and referrals often don’t stack. When you go through the cash back link it often takes you to a ‘quidco’ section of the site which has quidco only tariffs.

Yeah absolutely have to check the rates!

Associate
I eneded up going with Avro 12m fixed. Prices had slightly increased in a week, which shows how volite the market is at the minute. Still the best fixed rate I could find for my usage.

Soldato
Also just checked Avro, who don't appear to be on comparison sites.

At least £100 cheaper per year than any others I've found, though still a £100 hike on what I'm currently paying!

Soldato
Just had another look at energy prices again and they are even worse then when I last switched a few months back. Maybe I should have fixed...

I'm surprised no one is talking about this in the media? Those on low incomes must really be struggling with this increase. I'd also like to see where exactly this additional cost is coming from.

Soldato
I'm with PFP energy on a variable tariff that they now don't advertise to new customers. All the new ones are much more expensive. I wonder what will happen with my tariff. My bill for August is in and there are no rises in the prices.

EDIT: Just checked people's energy who I used to be with and they have old and new tariff from 1st October listed. Prices have gone up 22% for Elec and 26% for Gas. I suspect most other places will follow.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I can't make head nor tail of any of the prices. I keep getting shown I will be cheaper than what I am on currently and what tariff I move to with EON in total cost but the unit rates and standing charges are all much higher than the new tariff with EON

EON new tariff

Renewal offer. Switch to Fix Online v47
Fix Online v47
Fixed Price
Fixed monthly Direct Debit
£147.38 / month
£1768.52 / year
Unit rate
Electricity 20.694p per kWh
Gas 3.845p per kWh
Standing charge
17.187p per day
19.273p per day
Tariff ends on 18 October 2022
Price guaranteed until 18 October 2022
Exit fees (these don't apply in the last 49 days) £30.00 per fuel

The People's Tariff
Variable

£127.24 / month
£1526.94 / year
Fixed Period: N/A
Payment Type: DirectDebit
Exit Fees: £0.00
Electricity
Standing Charge: 26.21 p/day
Unit Rate: 17.87 p/kWh
Gas
Unit Rate: 3.34 p/kWh

EDF Energy Easy Online 3 year fix

Easy Online 3 Year Fix Sep24
Fixed until 30 September 2024
Payment type Budget Direct Debit (Monthly)
Yearly Estimate £1,468.89
Electricity
Yearly Estimate £799.32
Daily standing charge 24.04p per day
Unit rate 21.21p per kWh
Exit fees £15.00
Gas
Yearly Estimate £669.57
Daily standing charge 26.12p per day
Unit rate 3.994p per kWh
Exit fees £15.00

So although EON showing the most per year (presuming they know my usage compared to the others which are guestimates) but EON's charges/rates are better overall.

Caporegime
So I can't make head nor tail of any of the prices. I keep getting shown I will be cheaper than what I am on currently and what tariff I move to with EON in total cost but the unit rates and standing charges are all much higher than the new tariff with EON

EON new tariff

Renewal offer. Switch to Fix Online v47
Fix Online v47
Fixed Price
Fixed monthly Direct Debit
£147.38 / month
£1768.52 / year
Unit rate
Electricity 20.694p per kWh
Gas 3.845p per kWh
Standing charge
17.187p per day
19.273p per day
Tariff ends on 18 October 2022
Price guaranteed until 18 October 2022
Exit fees (these don't apply in the last 49 days) £30.00 per fuel

The People's Tariff
Variable

£127.24 / month
£1526.94 / year
Fixed Period: N/A
Payment Type: DirectDebit
Electricity
Unit Rate: 17.87 p/kWh
Gas
Unit Rate: 3.34 p/kWh

EDF Energy Easy Online 3 year fix

Easy Online 3 Year Fix Sep24
Fixed until 30 September 2024
Payment type Budget Direct Debit (Monthly)
Yearly Estimate £1,468.89
Electricity
Yearly Estimate £799.32
Daily standing charge 24.04p per day
Unit rate 21.21p per kWh
Exit fees £15.00
Gas
Yearly Estimate £669.57
Daily standing charge 26.12p per day
Unit rate 3.994p per kWh
Exit fees £15.00

So although EON showing the most per year (presuming they know my usage compared to the others which are guestimates) but EON's charges/rates are better overall.

Don't look at anything but the unit rate. Especially for electricity. The standing charge is insignificant (for most)

Absolutely do not consider thier estimates.

Caporegime
So I am definitely better off sticking with the new tarriff from EON then as can't find anything better than this on any supplier.

Might be who I go for too.

British gas are my next choice. But 100 pounds exit.
EDF are more expensive but there's risky cashback.
But eon is fixed with no exit fee.

Soldato
Just had another look at energy prices again and they are even worse then when I last switched a few months back. Maybe I should have fixed...

I'm surprised no one is talking about this in the media? Those on low incomes must really be struggling with this increase. I'd also like to see where exactly this additional cost is coming from.
I think it the ofgen price cap increase after that the flood doors opened.

Soldato

I'm sure as winter starts to bite it will become more of a story in the press.

Associate
My EON tariff is showing £30 exit fees per supply :( what tariff are you looking at?

Not sure if it still works, but historically you could avoid paying the exit fees with EON by requesting to transfer to another one of their tariffs, for example their variable tariff, then move supplier. Check the T&Cs though.

Caporegime
Just received an email offering me a £100 bribe/bill credit to stay with EDF. I’m getting a £50 credit for moving to Octopus as it is but this is double. Slight temptation to take it and stay for another few months tbh.

Soldato
I've looked at all the options and have decided I'm going with Octopus Go. I haven't got a smart meter, is it just a case of going with their Flexible plan and then once with them apply to go onto the Go plan and get a meter fitted?
I'll use a referral code if anyone has one, is it first one to post one or do we have a system going for fairness?

Caporegime
I've looked at all the options and have decided I'm going with Octopus Go. I haven't got a smart meter, is it just a case of going with their Flexible plan and then once with them apply to go onto the Go plan and get a meter fitted?
I'll use a referral code if anyone has one, is it first one to post one or do we have a system going for fairness?
Trust message sent

Associate
Currently with E.on. Was hoping to move away from them as their app is useless. But the renewal standing charges of just over 7p for both gas and electric seem cheap, I can't find anything anywhere near that.

edit: ignore, I see how insignificant the standing charge difference is after reading a post a few up :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom