Teeth whitening - Recommended kits?

Soldato
44% wow how the can you manage that.
I'd assume some tumeric was missed and mixed with saliva.

I did eat one of those salsa dips with a few tortillas right before i put trays in. Something has reacted though I assume with the peroxide.

44% is ok. The first couple of times it's similar to eating a hottish pizza, you get that burned upper mouth well you get that in small sections of the gum after that you don't notice.

Whether it's really 44% is another matter, it's from China so they generally put whatever they want. I've seen other similar kits from China on eBay and they say around 0.1 or is it 0.01% peroxide do who knows how much is in it.

Permabanned
Anyone know about the current situation with this stuff - was due to have a dental checkup soon (and brush/polish etc..) and tempted to ask about whitening etc.. obvs not going to the dentist anytime soon now!

It seems that e-bay, amazon etc.. have clamped down on the official crest whitening strips from the USA, obvs there are other suppliers out there selling via websites but they seem to be a rip off these days and I generally prefer amazon/e-bay (PayPal) when dealing with small suppliers.

So current offerings on Amazon/e-bay are specifically stuff that doesn't contain peroxide, instead (to keep within UK/EU rules) the active ingredient seems to be Sodium Chlorite. Does this do a similar-ish job or is it a bit naff in comparison in terms of results?
I would not touch anything like from ebay, you have no idea what is in it.
Your better off going mainstream dentist with a main stream product.

Soldato
Is phillips zoom with a retainer better than crest white strips?

I have used the white strips and they do work for me

Nothing works for internal tooth stains apart from bleach apparently outward stains you can pretty much just use toothpaste or baking powder.

Man of Honour
So with this whole COVID situation I keep getting my normal mouthwash and toothpaste substituted for the whitening versions on my home delivery orders as for some reason they are more plentiful in stock - quite surprised by the results over the last 3-4 months or so TBH.

Oral B 3D White Luxe Perfection (normally have Oral-B Pro-Expert)
Sensodyne Repair and Protect Whitening (normally use the non-whitening version)

Though I do find I can only use the 3D White for about 2-3 weeks before I have to use other mouthwash for 2-3 weeks or otherwise my teeth become a touch brittle.

It ain't no Tippex white but outward/front surfaces are pretty uniform almost-white with only some periphery staining (which is mostly slight except one part) and internal/back staining is cut by around half compared to where it was (I think a change in toothbrush helped a lot there though) - if I cut the tea and chocolate from my diet probably an improvement again as well. Personally prefer it to gleaming white anyhow as it looks natural and healthy.

Soldato
Using an electric toothbrush is good for keeping tea staining down, and, much more efficient, generally,
but, have had a dentists pick in my ebay basket forever since I think you could eminently diy some de-scaling.

never used mouthwash, just need adequate brushing( inc. tongue), otherwise, seems like one of these 20th century products like odour reducing room sprays, which, can just mask an underlying issue.

Man of Honour
Mouthwash is useless anyway if you use it after brushing, you are washing away all that protection with an inferior product.

Yeah - I either try to stagger its use through the day or before I brush my teeth. Apparently it is better to brush before eating in the morning as well but in reality that often doesn't really work out.

never used mouthwash, just need adequate brushing( inc. tongue), otherwise, seems like one of these 20th century products like odour reducing room sprays, which, can just mask an underlying issue.

I use mouthwash on the recommendation of my dentist as due to the layout of my back teeth there is a spot that can't be adequately reached with brushing and was potentially building up a problem there.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah don’t rinse with mouthwash after brushing or even water.

I use mouthwash sporadically, usually when I’ve had sugary snacks and in between meals.

Crest white strips have never failed me personally for whitening and they’re affordable to import from the US.

If you’re going for a gel buy a trusted brand, don’t go for generic gel from these unknown sellers.

You’ll pay more for the brands like Phillips but when it comes to teeth I think it’s worth it.

Need to do another session I think, my eating habits have changed over this year.
I usually eat minimal sweets and chocolate, as well as no fizzy drinks.

But this year I’ve not been as strict, so definitely some staining but got a cleaning a few months back. Will be going again early next year so will whiten after that

Soldato
I got my whitening moulds out first time since my wedding 9 years ago only this week as the wife had got a new syringe of whitener. Amazingly they fit still and I’m using the rest of the 16% stuff the missus got from the dentist. Really good results. I don’t know why people would risk any random stuff.

Consigliere
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
In the past I've used White Dental Beauty. This is something you do at home, putting a little gel from the syringes into trays (made by your dentist) that you wear over night. The strength and time can vary, but it works well.

When in Mexico my housemate had his done at our hot dentist there. She uses a gel then puts a laser on it. It's a rapid treatment and it does work but he was in agony for days with sensitivity.

Basically the quicker the treatment the stronger the gel and the likelihood of sensitivity.

Permabanned
I used these twice (I mean two whole boxes :) for 21 treatments back a couple of years ago and 21 treatments last summer) and they indeed do make a difference.

The trick is to keep them on your teeth for more than 1 hour. And don't eat and brush your teeth before and don't eat for two-three hours after.

Last edited:
Consigliere
OP
In the past I've used White Dental Beauty. This is something you do at home, putting a little gel from the syringes into trays (made by your dentist) that you wear over night. The strength and time can vary, but it works well.

When in Mexico my housemate had his done at our hot dentist there. She uses a gel then puts a laser on it. It's a rapid treatment and it does work but he was in agony for days with sensitivity.

Basically the quicker the treatment the stronger the gel and the likelihood of sensitivity.

Ah ha great thank you!

@4K8KW10 - Thanks also!

Soldato
I’m getting some bonding done to my front upper 4 teeth later this year , also getting whitening done for £400, apparently i store the gel in the fridge and then wear a mould at night for a few weeks..

Soldato
I’m getting some bonding done to my front upper 4 teeth later this year , also getting whitening done for £400, apparently i store the gel in the fridge and then wear a mould at night for a few weeks..

Wow, is that the price these days? Or is that your total price including the dental work? It was £250 when I had it done (whitening). Most of that cost was for the impressions.

Back
Top Bottom