When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I was convinced the Ioniq 5 looked great in pictures and then I saw one and hated it. I had booked a test drive but when I got to the the dealers I just looked at the outside, sat insde and walked away because nothing about the styling inspired me at all. I get that it is all subjective of course but it was bigger than most of its rivals and also trying too hard to be retro modern stylish. I personally do not see that 80s retro with modern styling aging well. Also now seeing trusted EV testers giving horrible range at motorway speeds and hit or miss charging speeds.

I was surprised to see it wasn't a family size hatchback I thought it was, seen a few about now and it's quite comical. I think they look great but can't get over the naff looking silver trim, looks like something off a toy from the 80s.

EV6 is quirky but something I'd seriously consider as our next family cat, lots of toys and decent space. Do people think this is the car that will start making people consider KIA in the £40-£50k range or have we already passed that?

Soldato
Do people think this is the car that will start making people consider KIA in the £40-£50k range or have we already passed that?

I’m in a similar boat and the EV6 is on the shortlist. Personally I’d say no on the face of it but the issue is VW have dropped their standards so actually compares well to the ID4 and comes out on top for most people.

I’ve not seen anyone compare it yet to the Mach-e which is similarly priced, I’m sure bjorn will give us his thoughts vs all of them including the mode y.

Associate
Do people think this is the car that will start making people consider KIA in the £40-£50k range or have we already passed that?

I drive a £50k Kia already. The Sorento has been so successful that it is impossible to get them at the moment. There is no doubt that Kia/Hyundai are making cars to really challenge the perception of those who only look at German cars at the moment.

Soldato
Don't be too smug. It will come back and bit you on the arse one day :)

Yea when there are rolling blackouts due to too much demand on the grid and the engineers who maintain it can't get to work, because there is no petrol and they don't get paid enough to buy an EV :p

Soldato
Yea when there are rolling blackouts due to too much demand on the grid and the engineers who maintain it can't get to work, because there is no petrol and they don't get paid enough to buy an EV :p
Which is of course a fallacy, since we use less electricity now than we did say 20 years ago due to increased efficiency

Soldato
To counter your points
1) If necessary the NG electric control staff can live on site to ensure they have access to work. (They did this during the COVID lockdowns)
2) They all mostly have EV’s but have access to company assigned vehicles or helicopters if necessary.

:)

Soldato
Which is of course a fallacy, since we use less electricity now than we did say 20 years ago due to increased efficiency
Haha, oh my summer child.

You have no idea how close we have been to shutting off supplies to non essentials. Hell during the beast from the east Cornwall and Devon / Dorset nearly had no gas due to lack of flow through transmission bottle necks.

We are a lot closer to the edge than people like to believe.

Plus by 2026 national grid are expecting to double run time hours due to demand, which will get rid of the cheap overnight tarrifs. So that should be fun

Soldato
To counter your points
1) If necessary the NG electric control staff can live on site to ensure they have access to work. (They did this during the COVID lockdowns)
2) They all mostly have EV’s but have access to company assigned vehicles or helicopters if necessary.

:)

Hahaha, we mostly have EVs what are you smoking.

The standard fleet vehicles for grid at the moment is:
* Transit long wheelbase with the diesel engine
* Transit short wheel base with the diesel engine
* Transit connect for security and HV stations staff
* Ford ranger or Toyota Hilux for lines man
* Currently there is one nissan nv200 on our patch and it spends it's entire life charging as the range fully load is crap

Oh and the gas side cannot have electric vehicles due to the whole not ex rated thing. So good old diesels with valves on the exhaust

Ng staff can only live on sites that have amenities, here's a hint in South Wales only 3 sites have a toilet...

Oh and the nationalgrid helicopter is based in mid England and it's a contractor not owned by grid...

Last edited:
Soldato
Hahaha, we mostly have EVs what are you smoking.

The standard fleet vehicles for grid at the moment is:
* Transit long wheelbase with the diesel engine
* Transit short wheel base with the diesel engine
* Transit connect for security and HV stations staff
* Ford ranger or Toyota Hilux for lines man
* Currently there is one nissan nv200 on our patch and it spends it's entire life charging as the range fully load is crap

Ng staff can only live on sites that have amenities, here's a hint in South Wales only 3 sites have a toilet...

Oh and the nationalgrid helicopter is based in mid England and it's a contractor not owned by grid...
Yep - Mid England is where the NG Control Room is located :)
I was referring to the Control Room staff - NG employees over 13k people and not all of them have EV’s.
The control room staff each had their own mobile house built on site to support living. Some were on site for 6 months !!

There are several helicopters and we employ our own pilots and support crew.

Which part of NG are you?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep - Mid England is where the NG Control Room is located :)
The control room staff each had their own mobile house built on site.

Which part of NG are you?

The bit that's being sold off unfortunately...

Grid saw the price of the upgrade to hydrogen and **** themselves so sold us off to buy western power.

Did you get the email with your daily mileage and if grid could install a charger at your house?

None of the gas side qualified due to mileage

Soldato
Indeed, judging by energy prices which are due to go crazy in 6 months due to the wholesale price lag people might want to think twice about throwing stones!

Electricity pricing would need to hit around 50p/kWh to cost the same to fuel our Model 3 as a 40mpg ICE car. Currently paying 15p/kWh (with 5p/kWh 12:30-4:30am). If electricity get's that expensive then I think EV drivers being a bit upset will be the least of our problems.

Soldato
The bit that's being sold off unfortunately...

Grid saw the price of the upgrade to hydrogen and **** themselves so sold us off to buy western power.

Did you get the email with your daily mileage and if grid could install a charger at your house?

None of the gas side qualified due to mileage
I don’t qualify for company vehicles as I don’t travel the required 10k business miles. Mostly working from home but go into Warwick a couple of times a week now.
The car park is still quiet though and I’ve noticed EV’s are taking over ICE cars. There a couple of Jag iPace’s and a Toyota Mirai (hydrogen) stationed on site.

I took this photo of one side of the car park on Tuesday this week. My Polestar at the end, next to M3 Performance, Merc EQC, BMW iX3 and another M3 perf. Helps we have around 60 on-site chargers at 15p kWh.

51511984439_502e0186a0_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom